Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Puppy afraid of dogs

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by HakuTheDoberman, Jun 8, 2019.

1. hi guys so I need some advice. So
    My puppy grew up obviously with all his siblings and as well as his mother his uncle and another smaller sized dog. Ever since we got him his been kinda scared of other dogs. We even ran into his sister sibling whiling visiting a vet a couple weeks after he came home with us and he was kinda scared then too and only went up to the humans.

Since his shots aren’t fully done we have only had a couple interactions with dogs. And same idea. Scared.. he would at most go up to them and lick there face but the second they would move towards him he would shriek and run away bum tucked in.

Our friend brought by his husky today for a bit of socialization and he was super scared we let them just hang around in the backyard minding their own business and and eventually he got more comfortable but not even to really interact with the other dog. Just lick his face a couple of times and run away.

A dog won’t even touch him but if it’s close enough he will shriek. :( it’s sad I want him to have fun with other dogs

He loves people, scared of dogs though. He Dosent bark at them either

Attached Files:

2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

How old is he now? If vax aren’t done yet (but his ears are standing?) he is probably 4ish months old? He is probably in a fear period. Don’t coddle it, ignore it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. He’s 3 months, final shots next weekend. His ears stand straight now but still posting. Just always take a crap ton of pictures of him when they are out between posting changes aha

• Like Like x 3
  4. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I'm happy for you that he is not scared of people! That is by far the most important thing!

It seems to me that you have a submissive Doberman there. Again, he's reportedly confident around people (though I haven't seen a video of him meeting people, and he may actually greet them in a submissive manner as well); but it's probably the case the he has had only safe, positive interactions with humans so he is cool with that. Meeting dogs is not nearly as humane a prospect. There's a pecking order that is quickly determined.

Don't worry. Your boy will come into his own and with your responsible ownership will grow to be a fine Dobe. Don't worry if he does not ever adopt the level of enjoyment of playing with other dogs that you want him to. It is said that dogs don't need dog friends. They need you and the other members of their human family.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Have you thought about taking him to a puppy class? A controlled environment could be just the ticket. You want to make sure that he learns how to interact appropriately with dogs and people, and group classes provide a great environment to do this, as well as a perfect place to practice basic training skills around distractions.
    Just pick a class, carefully. Make a visit before you commit.

At his age, you want to expose him to everything possible without terrorizing him. You want him to feel safe in all new experiences but make sure you don’t overwhelm him. Sometimes too much, too soon could have a negative impact. Start slowly! It’s important that you ease him into unfamiliar or over-stimulating situations with patience. Remember, he’s sensitive to your cues and and can pick up on even the smallest change in emotion. Calm confidence is what’s needed. Don’t coddle him.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

So true. Dog-to-dog Socialization is mostly for us humans. Socialization is not only about the quantity of new experiences but more about the quality of those experiences. Start small and slowly build-up the social challenge, so that he will enjoy the encounter, and be successful at it. Success builds confidence, and breeds more success.
    Observe and listen to what he is saying. Understand his social boundaries and remember distance can be your friend. Work on focus and self confidence building.
    Too many negative experiences with other dogs can lead to fear, that fear can turn into aggression.
    You want a well balanced dog and nows the perfect time to start, whilst he’s so young.
    I think that just like people, different dogs have different temperaments and social preferences. Some dogs are more dog-social, some dogs are more dog-tolerant, some dogs prefer the company of people, and some dogs prefer their own company.
    He’s still very young so it’s difficult to see his preferences but for now make all his new experiences fun and enjoyable. Watch his body language closely, this will tell you exactly what’s going on and whether he’s comfortable or not in a given situation.
    Puppies also go through fear periods at certain times in their development. I would suggest reading up on them also.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Yeah I usually done baby him when he acts like that and ignore it and just wait to see his progress. All his dog interacting have been one on one but all the ones before our friends dog weren’t the greatest. A lot of the dogs would be slightly angry with him which didn’t help lol. We have been looking into a puppy class so that will probably happen sometimes next month.

Even though it’s family the breeder said stop by anytime for a visit so I might do that as well since she kept one puppy, had the mom, uncle and a smaller white dog as well.

It’s not a huge worry that he’s submissive I think I’d rather train that then a aggressive dog that hates dogs.

8. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

I was taught to never ever expose a puppy to dogs when it was afraid even when the other dog was friendly and wouldn't bully or play rough. If the puppy is afraid and you stand back to let things happen on their own, even when the playmate you expose your puppy to is harmless the scene in your puppy's head is this: I'm afraid of this big dog and my person has abandon me to deal with it so I'll run away. At this age, the puppy DEPENDS on you to always be its protector when it can't defend itself. Think of this immaturity as the time to be your pups Knight (or Princess) in Shining Armor. Dogs that have been intimidated by other dogs as puppies sometimes grow up to be very dog aggressive. I agree with the others above - Dogs don't need dog friends and that socialization with other dogs should be only in a class where all the puppies are on leash and he learns to listen to you and ignore the other dogs, not play with the dogs and ignore you.

• Agree Agree x 1

9. Oh no:(
    And yeah most of the time he would sit beside us of in between my legs while our friends dog was here. His dog was just told to sit and we would wait to see what happened. Most of the time he would just be watching him and on his own he would leave us and wonder a bit closer but like I said the second the other dog moved a bit. Run and shriek. The shriek only happens on e but he ran a couple of times. ( mostly to us) and would hang out and watch and then repeat aha.

Sorry when I say ignore I don’t mean literally. He would stand by us when scared and I’d give him praise whenever he decided to give it a chance and a treat whenever he tried to interact by licking the other dog. But when he acted scared I’d be there for him but just wouldn’t baby him about it.

I’ll try a puppy class when I find the right one. And just let small interactions happen while walking. And then gradually build the bond of our friends dog. They made progress by the time he left at least.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

You have my admiration for coming here asking and learning. You and your pup will be fine. I'm in the waiting stages for a puppy right now but I've been involved with dog & horse trainers & vets & animal behavior for many years. I have tons to learn yet, one never stops learning!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Oooo exciting! Wishing you the best for you and your future pup and that the time between them flys by. I know the painful waiting ! Aha

And yes it’s been a long and forever going learning experience.

12. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

I can personally say puppy social classes were much needed for my pup. The first couple times I went Jasper was terrified and clung to my lap. Then one day he flipped a switch in his head and started playing with the other pups. After a few more classes he was very outgoing and his confidence is now strong. We went a couple times a week. I think in total we did it about 12 times? The instructors were good and careful about matching dogs based on their energy and temperament.