Proper easy way to get a puppy to learn not to bite

Klaus 0818

Klaus will bite my daughter and just about everything, we can’t enjoy him. He’s 12 weeks old.

What do you suggest doing to teach him that’s not okay and to stop?

I agree with JanS. Your pup is still young; he'll learn. Just be consistent with your training and give him time and lots of chew toys. Redirect the biting as needed.

I have three daughters. 17,16,12. They all want to be active with raising/training Ragnar, esp the 12 y/o.

Took them a couple of days but they finally understand----

1. There is absolutely NO WAY they can go near Ragnar and expect him not to nip/bite, just ain't gonna happen..... He is a 4 month old Doberman with a michevious kids mind that will scratch and draw blood with his playful chomping.

2. One must be prepared walking around the house when Ragnar is in "free roam" status.

3. Watch for the signs and motions of Ragnar coming at you with a dober-shark nip/bite.

4. When he does come and he will---be ready to redirect with a chew toy or stand tall and give him a full toned--NO!!!

After a solid week of watching them interact with Ragnar, they understand and know his posturing. When they see him setting it up, they quickly grab a toy and redirect. Funny to watch because I see it preemptively and start laughing because I know what is coming next--I tell them to be prepared with a chew toy or become the chew toy.

I really expect this behavior to disappear with obedience training and him growing into a mature Doberman.

Are you giving him enough stimulation and exercise?? I know that my work schedule sometimes does not allow this and boy, can I tell the difference with his demeanor and attitude. He becomes an unhappy, amped-up destructible little monster. Don't forget the saying---- A tired Doberman is a good Doberman.

Last edited:
Also, there is a lot of great information on this site. Dive in and take advantage of the expertise and knowledge.

I did--- and it is working!!!!

My daughters are of similar age. I had Maeve drag a leash (supervised). It was easier for the girls to get control when they were feeling intimidated by her playfulness. It gave them control when a "no" wasn't working.

Back