1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Prong collar

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by HakuTheDoberman, Aug 26, 2019.

1. hey guy so I’m looking for a little info and advice on a prong collar. I’m going to google and research how to use one properly etc but wanna have some advice and tips from fellow Doberman owners.

At what age do you recommend using one?(well more of how young can you start using one) our boy is turning 6 months. We use a front clip harness which has been great for getting him to walk with us no pulling and not rushing ahead. But now he’s getting bigger and gaining more strength and muscles and The harness is starting to not hold him back lol and I don’t wanna use a head harness and per your guys recommendations and some research.

I’m interested in the keeper collars ( I think they were called ) I like the look and style and the fact it’s hidden ( not that I care about using a prong but I know uneducated people can be twats about them and it will help avoid some hassle )

What size would you recommend ? I don’t know much about them so any info on them would be useful.

My boy has a flabby a** neck, lol would this effect anything. Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

6 months is young if using it as a correction for behavior but just for walking on a leash would be fine. Many times they will immediately start walking better without getting corrected by it. Try to keep the leash loose and let them correct themselves if they get ahead of you. Just stop let them cause the correction. They learn really fast. Snug fit just under the ears works best. As for the hidden prong type collars, l don’t like them because they are harder to keep adjust properly and do t have the pop that a regular HS prong has.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1

3. Thanks for the tip! Might just get a standard HS prong to start then

It would just be for when he’s on walks with us, otherwise he’s off leash with us running around.

How would you use a prong for correction of behaviour vs just on walks? New to the prong world aha

• Like Like x 1
  4. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

We just upgraded to a HS collar, from a basic prong collar, and I ordered the nylon cover. I am sure upon close observation people will still be able to see the prongs but I wouldn't mind the extra coverage. If you go on the HS website they have neck and weight sizing recommendations.

The 2.25mm width worked well for our guy too.

5. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

When walking I allow the dog to correct itself. This takes the handler out of the equation. You can even act surprised when he does it as well. “OMG what just happened” lol
    Behavior correction I use a negative reinforcer marker just before o give the correction. The correction can be two things a snap if the leash or plan a simple leash pressure. I don’t typically get into these kinds of corrections until they are 9-10 months of age but it is specific to the dogs hardness. I use leash pressure on a flat collar for teaching younger dogs. Manly fit jumping up or to teach them to settle down and pay attention.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. They have so many different once’s aha they all look the same but have different names. I don’t know which one to gettt

7. Looking at this one Is this good? 18 dollars for shipping to Canada rip me aha

Attached Files:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

I really liked the looks of that finish! And $18, ouch, I cringed at the $9 shipping. I'm sure you looked into it but that one, as is, fits a 14 inch neck before additional links are added. Just something to think about . I posted the other day about which one to get because I thought our guys neck was around 16 inches still and he was outside the weight recommendation. I remeasured behind his ears yesterday and realized we were at 18 inches. Im just glad I checked again before ordering.

9. Yeah I gotta measure him and see what size I should get :)! Probably needs a pretty small size

10. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

There is some excellent info on the Leerburg website about sizing & fitting properly. You'll find several articles and videos if you search Leerburg site. Of course they sell them too, so look beyond the products page! I think you can search articles or free videos. That website is a wealth of information and input by several different trainers!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Even if you order too large, you can take links off to adjust, if you order too small then you will need to order more links.

Either way, you prob need a couple of links on hand because they grow big pretty fast.

I ordered his neck size and 3 extra links if I remember correctly. I have added the 3 links since I bought it 17months ago.

I have the black HS prong and really like it. My asshat is very rough slamming into everything, rolling and sliding and the black prong still looks good. I am impressed with it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thank you I will definitely check that out!:)
    Good idea I’ll do that and thanks I was wondering how the black ones held up colour wise after some rough usage, glad it still looks good!:)

13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Once you figure out what you want, look for it on Amazon. I’m sure you can find it within Canada. We got ours from a local pet shop.

14. raym0016

raym0016 New Member

My vet recommended that I get a prong collar for my 4 month old. I did and he doesn't require any correction when on walks, he corrects himself if the leash gets a little tight. I tried to use the dead ring and it didn't work as well as the live ring simply because of fit. It is tight enough that if I use the dead ring and live ring together, it gets just tight enough that it seems like a constant correction. Going to the live ring only, there is a bit more room so he knows it's there but doesn't react to it unless the leash gets tight. I got the HS 2.25MM and had to take out 1 prong. Then I added bought 3 extra links to cover growth. Hes 43lbs right now and growing quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Thank you! Yes I checked amazon and they had the size I wanted to I ordered it there. It’s arriving today!:)

Watched some videos on how to use it properly and introduce it to the dog. Excited to see how it goes.

His walk this morning was hurting my hand from all his pulling, we had him off leash mostly for awhile and didn’t walk as much and it’s like he forgot how to walk properly lol that was an ops on our part

16. So size wise I ordered up and I’ve taken out 4 links .. now Im not sure cause I feel like it may be too loose but I think taking out one more will be too tight. I’ll post a picture of where it falls when I’m not holding it up vs when I’m trying to keep it up

Attached Files: