1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Prong collar

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Mystic, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Alright so I am ordering the prong collar. Now I am thinking the 16inch with 3.0mm links are the size to get. I measured around his upper neck and was sitting pretty much on 16inch. Should I get this size with the added links for growth? Need some input.

2. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Bookmarked.

Thanks Strykerdobe.

• Like Like x 2
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Many of us use the 2.25 mm Herm Sprenger since the smaller prongs are easier to get the right fit with our breed. I just order the basic 14" or whatever it is and order a bunch of extra prongs to adjust as you go.

How old is he now? It isn't suggested to start them on a prong until they're at least 6 months.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Also lots of good videos on their site.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Thanks so I am looking at this one
    Herm Sprenger Ultra-Plus Prong Training Dog Collar

He is nearing 7 months now and I measured up near the top neck it was about 16inches. So thought to get that siz with the extra links.

7. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Ok wondered about that so probably should get the smaller one then.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Yup almost 7 months

9. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

So this is the size chart. 12 inch seems small so how many extra links will I need when his neck is already measuring about 16inches
    4282237A-C12B-45F7-9EED-00F86ACE792D.png

10. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

Note on prong collars - link size is based on coat length, not the size of the dog. Short - medium coats should use the 2.25. The only dogs I would use the 3 on is long haired breeds. Anything above 3mm is ridiculously overkill and useless.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Yea I had seen above 3mm was crazy. I look at the sizes and research just trying to get the right inch around. I know I need the 12 inch now but how many extra links I am going to need now to get around his neck.

12. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

I'd get 2 packs (they usually come in 4 packs if I remember correctly). You won't actually need all of them, but that should give you plenty as he grows plus a few spares in case one bends or gets weak.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

A79B2D7C-7411-4C8F-BB92-9CD6DF0A16F1.jpeg
    Thank you! And to everyone. Kodak says thanks too

• Like Like x 6
  14. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I always use the 3.0 mm the smaller ones are not as strong and I have seen them come apart. They also will tend to roll over with the prongs facing up.
    B599B1C6-4C11-4346-BCD9-E5F194F39C04.jpeg Here is Prada in Protection with prong up under the ears

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

16” neck on a 7 month old ? Where are you measuring? Depending on gender of the dog is why I’m asking
    If you’re measuring to fit a prong you should measure right behind the ears as that is where the prong sits.
    I personally use the 2.25mm on all my dogs have never had them fail and that’s what I start them on.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I use 3.0mm also. I find the tips on smaller ones sharper,more like a needle. The larger a bit more blunt. I discovered this the hard way. When Greta first came home she was a mess. She had mange with scabs and sores all over her. Her skin was very delicate and the smaller prongs actually hurt her.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Mystic

Mystic Notable member

Well shoot now I am second guessing my purchase. I went with 2.25mm. Will see how this works out. If I feel I need to get the 3mm then I will get it. Thanks for thr info. Nice to get different opinions from people.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. NikiL02

NikiL02 Formerly Nlr02 $ Forum Donor $

I have the 2.25mm. I've owned the same prong, an HS, since 1995 without issues. I used it on my GSD and now it goes on my dobie. I think I can only find about 2 extra links but I used to have 5.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Mystic

What’s the verdict on your experiences with the Prong collar??

Any advice/recommendations?

20. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

I use them on all of the dogs I train and recommend them to people who take training classes from me. My training is based off of leash pressure, so no taking of the collar during the introduction of behavioral training. Pressure on then pressure off and reward.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1