1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Problems with back left leg

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Achilles in Jax, Mar 23, 2020.

1. Achilles in Jax

Achilles in Jax Novitiate

Hi Everyone, Achilles is 4 years old. When he stands, he extends his back left leg. He has been doing this for several months. We have had him X-rayed (No hip issues) and examined by an Orthopedic Vet (No joint or ligament issues. He seems to be fine when he runs around. Just wondering if anyone has seen this?

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

It looks like a slipped hock (it hyper-extends).

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Achilles in Jax

Achilles in Jax Novitiate

I took him to an orthopedic vet. He checked out all of his joints and ligaments and said he's fine. Also, he runs just fine. It's only one he stands

4. Panama

• Informative Informative x 5
  5. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Just out of curiosity, was he neutered at an early age?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  6. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

@Panama This is a very good example. I never heard of this issue before. Out of curiosity ill probably go home and try this on Jasper, because why not?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think we all want to try that! :D

8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Is this something that's fixable? Painful?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  9. Panama

They have braces to prevent the hock from hyper-extending but have no idea if it will cure it. I've never personally had a dog present with this.

10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

His croup seems to be rounded downward.

There are therapeutic braces designed for the hock to stabilize and correct angulation. His quadricep muscle group look a little atrophied. How is his gait when he runs?

Was he neutered before 18mo to 2 yrs.?