1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Prima Dobermans?

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by Zippo, Mar 31, 2017.

1. Zippo

Zippo Member

Anyone have any info on these guys?

2. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I know Shayna. Prima is a reputable breeder. DPCA backe and she is very into health testing and education. I know of several of their dogs and the breeders of those dogs. I would feel very comfortable recommending them

• Like Like x 2
  3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Are you getting another?

• Like Like x 1
    • I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  4. Archer

If you are it is best to wait until your current dog is at least two. Doesn't hurt to shop around however so you are ready when the time comes.

Does this have anything to do with the ear crop thread you started about the FB post?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Zippo

Zippo Member

Oh no not at all, I really liked the info on their site. I was bored and thinking about it in the future haha.

• Like Like x 1
  6. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

It's always good to think ahead especially since most of the reputable breeders will have a wait list.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Archer

Was just wondering as Shayna is Prima Dobermans :) She is a good breeder.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

She does have some good info on her site (her cost breakdown of buying a puppy from a reputable breeder vs byb is very interesting!) and her recent litter of puppies were just too cute - and all spoken for before they were born! She seems very active in the doberman world which seems like a good sign, to me at least.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Zippo

Zippo Member

I forgot to ask, is waiting till 2 years old just to see how they fully mature? It would actually be our third dog (I'm not dead set on it, justttt doing my hw in case). Right now we have our female dachshund/beagle rescue, 1 year old, and Zippo is 7 months. Willow is definitely the dominant one right now, she's the boss. I guess it makes sense to wait because the dominance changes as he gets older. If I had to pick a 3rd dog right now (dobe obviously) I would be less worried getting another male, even knowing the male to male aggression problem because Willow is sooo dominant of Zippo now. But, in 2 years that could change, I think I might have answered my own question hahaha.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I think the 2 yr mark is so you have one dobie trained well enough that it can assist in teaching manners to the new pup.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Regalis

Regalis Notable member

2 years is a basic guideline as to when they will be mature and should have a very good handle on all their training. It will also let you have an idea of how they tolerate other dogs after maturity.

That said - same sex aggression is a very real, very prominent thing. It's not just males. In fact, females can be worse. Take it from someone with two intact male dogs, one only being 9 months the other going on 3. It's no joke. Neutering does NOT fix or prevent it. Add that to the fact you already have a female? You could be looking at some very serious and dangerous issues. I have to watch my boys like a hawk. I'm constantly stopping fights before they progress to full out blood baths. Sometimes they have to be separated and rotated. It's not something to be taken lightly as deaths are not an uncommon result. You have to know the subtle cues to watch for to prevent full out brawls. All. The. Time.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1