1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Pricing of Puppies

Discussion in 'Doberman Breeders' started by CarolinaBeauty88, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

For me personally, I would be willing to drop the price of a puppy for the right home if I got a feel for the family and knew it was a good fit. This would be after siscussion of course. The quality of home is more important than the money to me.

It is more uncommon now for show breeders to charge more for their show quality puppies, especially for high end show breeders. The puppies all cost the same to create and the added price of a show puppy was really just to show the new owner’s intent behind their dedication to housing and finishing a show dog, which is expensive enough as it is. Now the intent is moved to contracts because paying &500-$1000 extra for a show quality dog really doesn’t prove anything and doesn’t guarantee anything from new owner. Both kind of homes are important and we end up having more pet/performance puppies in litters than show puppies. We make little on these puppies as you all know and if show puppies don’t turn out that saves the contractual refund of pet vs show price. So now it has nothing to do with quality of individual puppy, it is quality of the overall breeding.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, if the price trends upward anymore, this breed will be only for people who (to me) are wealthy.

3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This leads me to another topic question that I want to present now because @Archer tends to disappear sometimes.

I will start a new thread with this so please respond there.

Are you able to identify a show pup at that early age?

What age is the cutoff on identifying their potential for the show ring?

What are the characteristics that you look for?

Is there any negative characteristics that you see immediately that will negate one from being chosen for the time and training?

More in the new thread.

Sorry for the hi-jack.....

• Like Like x 4
  4. Oh Little Oji

Incidentally, I say the same thing about craft beer.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

She is a breeder. They are "busy." :spit: ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

I would say... when reaching out to breeders, I had a lot of success with responses by saying, right up front:

I have *this much* experience with dogs; I have *this much* experience with Dobermans. I have done *this type of* training with my past dogs and want to do *this type of* training with my future dog. This is what a normal day looks like for my family, here are my plans for traveling with my dog versus what I will do with my dog when I travel. My current/last dog is still with us/passed away because of *this.* I do/do not have a fenced yard and here is my plan for exercising my puppy. I am familiar with crate training. These are the other pets/children/people in the home that will interact with the puppy. I plan on having pet insurance, etc. I want a cropped/docked/male/female/black/red or I am open to color and gender.

A brief summary painting a picture. If a breeder see's "I'm looking for a puppy for $3000," they're going to pass you by, in my experience. They want to place their puppies in loving, appropriate forever homes from the beginning.

Good luck on your search!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CarolinaBeauty88

CarolinaBeauty88 New Member

I agree with all of that. I always tell the breeder about our family, lifestyle, needs, and wants in a puppy. I never say anything about the pricing. So far, they have responded with great details, including their pricing. They have all seemed very knowledgeable and willing to help us get the right puppy, which is reassuring.

• Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  8. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

We had to “apply” for Shadow. Many of the things you mentioned above were in our application/questionnaire.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Not only a breeder but also has a full time job as an M.D., has 5 dobies she shows or trains in various venues and still has time to come educate us......oh geez, I'm exhausted just thinking about it. :sleep:

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

With our cats breeder it was very much relationship building as she didn't like using her computer unless she had to lol, so we must have spoken to her on the phone more than either of us speak to our mothers! With donkey kong my hb had to fill out an application and I remember rolling my eyes thinking "what's the big deal it's just a dog!" To think I never bothered to ask what the dog was until he paid a deposit :screamcat:

The most expensive Doberman I ever heard of was 3200 CAD already cropped.

11. Archer

Funny, not funny. Lol. I personally feel that it’s rude for breeders to not contact any inquiry within a timely fashion. For me it should be within a week. We all have things happen to us that pull us away from other responsibilities. Stuff happens, but breeders still need to be respectful of the people that contact them. It takes two seconds to type a reply saying thanks for the interest and that you will be responding with more information within X hours. It’s just curtesy.

Thanks. I’m no hero. I try to be here as much as I can, but sometimes I come home from a 9-12 hour day plus a 45 minute drive home and barely have enough energy to feed myself and my crew and try to wind down before going to bed, sorry I’m not around like I should be, but it’s not intentional.

I don’t disappear. I just don’t have time to comment sometimes for the above stated reasons, but check in even when I can’t respond. Sometimes that checking in time is five minutes while I am laying in bed and can barely keep my eyes open. Sorry it appears I vanish, but felt the need to explain myself. Sure everyone understands. At least I hope so.

If you started a new thread on this subject, please tag a link to it here so those curious about the questions can follow. Headed over there now.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That was Fred (Albert's breeder) and me too. I don't know how many times a fully charged battery on the phone would start beeping because of a low battery because of Doberman discussions that lasted for hours. I loved the communication though.

• Like Like x 5
  13. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Archer
    Did not mean any rude intentions about you “tend to disappear”. I know you are a busy person. Really meant for it to be funny- next time a funny emoji may help.

To those looking to follow to new thread:
    What do you look for in a “Show” pup?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Archer

Thanks. I figured it was lighthearted, but felt bad and just wanted to let ya’ll know I’m still around. I really care about everyone here!

Have to add that sometimes my comments come off as sounding like I’m being rude and condescending and that is not the case at all. Good idea on the emojis. I should probably do the same. I just feel like I come across as a jerk sometimes when it’s just because I had limited time to type and am being all buisness :)

I responded to your comment in the other thread. I hope I helped shed some light on things for you! Good questions and a very interesting topic for those who are curious. Thank you for starting the thread!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Archer

Yes! I personally love homes like this! The questionaire is meant as the initial
    Lemme get to know you ice breaker....from
    both sides. Breeder getting to know potential home, home getting to know breeder.

Like you said here, many are turned off by the “how much are your puppies” messages because to us, it shows your only intent is a cheap puppy, BUT I feel it’s best to not judge that and ask them some leading questions that may spark the kind of conversation you do want. Not many people have tact, and sometimes they don’t know how they come across by asking that first thing. Most of the time you get the feel of a person right away, but first impressions aren’t always correct. I have seen breeders turn down what end up to be good homes because they were turned off by the initial correspondence.

• Like Like x 3
  16. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

Price didn’t come into conversations with me and the breeder until a few conversations. More about getting to know one another and what we wanted.

SWMBO and I have never had a Doberman before. And it was a year since we had a dog in the house. Lots of things to talk about and get ready.

She was on the high end, but don’t regret it in the least.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

SWMBO :spit:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. Oh Little Oji

Huh? Nah, never mind.

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

She who must be obeyed!

• Like Like x 1
  20. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I think 2,500-3,000 is the realm of reality.
    The pup I was waiting for before the pregnancy didn’t take was 2,800, that was full C/D, shots, etc, from accomplished working lines, titled dogs, and as a bonus, dogs I actually know and have interacted with.

There’s so much that goes into smart breeding, it’s with its own book series.

At 3500 I’d be wondering and asking some serious questions.
    There’d better be a bunch of IPO III titles or something in the blood somewhere, lol.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1