• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Potty issues with my 13 week old

Tebeaux

Hot Topics Subscriber
Tebeaux has been pretty good about going to the bathroom outside since day 1 but he's still having an occasional accident inside, probably once every other day or so. At first we watched him like a hawk and brought him out when we noticed any "gotta go" behavior. Now he'll sneak off and potty in the house some times. Sometimes he'll whine to go out, other times he won't. It's getting pretty frustrating.
Any tips on correcting this behavior?

Other than CONSTANTLY watching him and praising a lot when he does go outside...

What are you doing (reading, napping, cooking) when he sneaks off and goes potty in the house? Are you using an enzymatic cleaner to clean up his messes? We had baby gates with our first puppy but haven't needed them with our second because he is constantly watching her. The only times he had accidents was when we weren't watching exactly what he was doing OR we'd go a few days without an accident, think he had it all figured out, and then wouldn't take him out as often - which resulted in accidents. Our fault, not his.

I would start with just taking him out more often. 13 weeks is still VERY young and they piddle a LOT.

We did have 6 nights in a row of nighttime crate poo's but I think we've gotten that figured out (thankfully!).

Tebeaux has been pretty good about going to the bathroom outside since day 1 but he's still having an occasional accident inside, probably once every other day or so. At first we watched him like a hawk and brought him out when we noticed any "gotta go" behavior. Now he'll sneak off and potty in the house some times. Sometimes he'll whine to go out, other times he won't. It's getting pretty frustrating.
Any tips on correcting this behavior?

I had my dude fully potty trained by 10 weeks. For the first two weeks of having him I brought him outside every hour of the day. Praised when he pottied and gave a treat. Eventually he would start letting himself out to go. He figured out how to open the screen door. Only accidents he had were my fault and when he was sick.

I’d suggest keeping and eye on him and taking him out every hour or so even if he doesn’t show signs of having to go.

I'll admit we've let up on the CONSTANT supervision, and like you, we've fallen into the trap of thinking he was figuring it out.
He doesn't ever go in his crate (knocks on wood), but we don't like to put him in the crate as much as maybe we should. He's never out of sight more than a minute or 2, while we're doing laundry, picking up, fetching something from another room, etc.
We do use a enzymatic cleaner to clean up, and we let him out constantly. We'll take him for a nice walk, only to have him come home, lay down on the cool tile for a second, then when our attention is elsewhere he'll relieve himself.
I guess we'll have to go back to treating him like a 13 week old puppy :wacky: and keeping a closer eye on him.

I'll admit we've let up on the CONSTANT supervision, and like you, we've fallen into the trap of thinking he was figuring it out.
He doesn't ever go in his crate (knocks on wood), but we don't like to put him in the crate as much as maybe we should. He's never out of sight more than a minute or 2, while we're doing laundry, picking up, fetching something from another room, etc.
We do use a enzymatic cleaner to clean up, and we let him out constantly. We'll take him for a nice walk, only to have him come home, lay down on the cool tile for a second, then when our attention is elsewhere he'll relieve himself.
I guess we'll have to go back to treating him like a 13 week old puppy :wacky: and keeping a closer eye on him.

If you can’t keep an eye on him, throw him in the crate. Or get a small playpen, I still use the playpen if I have to shower or do something that’s gonna take more than a few minutes. However, he knows he doesn’t go inside the house or the car. It’s more so he doesn’t swallow or destroy something he isn’t supposed too.

We have a play pen that I use for showers and things that will take more than a few minutes too, I guess we'll need to start using it more any time we're doing anything at all that might take our attention away from him.
And I was hoping he'd get the memo that going inside wasn't acceptable, but he must have missed that one. The few times we've caught him in the act, we give him a firm no and then take him outside. He doesn't seem to be bothered too much by it:rolleyes:.
I know hitting/rubbing his nose in it isn't the answer but I'd like to do something when we catch him to put the fear of God in him and teach him that it's not acceptable.

I know that mine knows the correct thing to do. Now whether or not he chooses to do it is the question....

Be it potty, recall, place, etc.... It just takes a lot of time, effort and constant attention to hone it into a consistent behavior. Over and over and over.

I am finding with Ragnar, I have to make sure I don’t get lazy and let him slide on certain things. I have to make sure he is accountable. Main problem in my household and prob yours too is that other family members will not be as consistent as we are.

We have a play pen that I use for showers and things that will take more than a few minutes too, I guess we'll need to start using it more any time we're doing anything at all that might take our attention away from him.
And I was hoping he'd get the memo that going inside wasn't acceptable, but he must have missed that one. The few times we've caught him in the act, we give him a firm no and then take him outside. He doesn't seem to be bothered too much by it:rolleyes:.
I know hitting/rubbing his nose in it isn't the answer but I'd like to do something when we catch him to put the fear of God in him and teach him that it's not acceptable.
You can also tie his leash to your waist so that he is with you all the time as you are doing things.
My two are pretty damn stealthy at walking by you if you have a paper towel in your hand or on your table and just ever so gracefully take it and when you catch them, they do a huge gulp and down it goes. HA...out comes the peroxide when that happens!

Try limiting the water intake. When they are physically so small, they pretty much drink water and pee within 5 minutes. I would figure out the pattern for both and then go back to treating for poops. For the longest time Kaiser wouldn't poop on walks around the block because he was so busy sniffing, so we knew coming home to go straight to the yard.

For the longest time Kaiser wouldn't poop on walks around the block because he was so busy sniffing, so we knew coming home to go straight to the yard.
My two refuse to poop anywhere but their special place in our yard when we are out exercising or playing. They hold it and once home they run to the back yard and let it rip. :D
I always bring poop bags just in case though. :p

I am finding with Ragnar, I have to make sure I don’t get lazy and let him slide on certain things. I have to make sure he is accountable. Main problem in my household and prob yours too is that other family members will not be as consistent as we are.

I'm finding that this is definitely key for everything with these dogs. And I admittedly have fallen behind on this a little but you're right, the rest of the family isn't and I don't ever see them being as consistent as I am, even when I'm slacking :woot2:

Kaizer didn't start pooping or peeing on walks until he was close to a year old. Weirdo! Now he's a pee machine. But pooping? He will try to hold it until home. Which has led to more than one incidence of him pooping smack dab middle of the sidewalk or street.

But I get it, I don't like public restrooms either. Lol.

Which has led to more than one incidence of him pooping smack dab middle of the sidewalk or street.
Kaiser's first poop in public was actually in the middle of the street! It was on our short neighborhood walks so there wasn't any traffic but he suddenly started to squat and I thought no way...then there is was. He was still on kibble at the time so the poops were large and never really firm. I didn't have poop bags as I didn't expect this, so I walked back home to get one. When I returned to the scene, someone had driven over it already :woot2:

Kaiser's first poop in public was actually in the middle of the street! It was on our short neighborhood walks so there wasn't any traffic but he suddenly started to squat and I thought no way...then there is was. He was still on kibble at the time so the poops were large and never really firm. I didn't have poop bags as I didn't expect this, so I walked back home to get one. When I returned to the scene, someone had driven over it already :woot2:

My neighbors lab does this all the time and the owner never picks it up. It’s quite annoying lol

My neighbors lab does this all the time and the owner never picks it up. It’s quite annoying lol
That would be annoying. Imagine the smell if they park the car in their garage. That was literally my first thought when I saw a tire had flattened it. It was summer months too. Who wants to bet they were just coming back from the car wash :spit:

That would be annoying. Imagine the smell if they park the car in their garage. That was literally my first thought when I saw a tire had flattened it. It was summer months too. Who wants to bet they were just coming back from the car wash :spit:

Lmao, I never thought of that. But I’m sure with the rotations of the tire the poop flings into the wheel well, then drys and falls off.

Lmao, I never thought of that. But I’m sure with the rotations of the tire the poop flings into the wheel well, then drys and falls off.
I hate when it gets on the mower wheels when I mow clients yards. I am always bitching that they need to clean up ALL the poop before I mow. :mad:
Poop rehydrated with water STINKS!!

I hate when it gets on the mower wheels when I mow clients yards. I am always bitching that they need to clean up ALL the poop before I mow. :mad:
Poop rehydrated with water STINKS!!

Lmao. Poop grosses me out, I couldn’t do it. For the first week or two of picking up Rex’s poop I’d gag lol.

Back