Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

postings pop out?

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Ramos.cindy, Mar 25, 2019.

1. Ramos.cindy

Ramos.cindy Jr Member

kings posts pop out at the bottom all the time. should i just pop it back in or try a different method?

Attached Files:

2. ArdynBane

ArdynBane Jr Member

Are you putting the posts deep enough? You could maybe even try a smaller post and see if it can go deeper - I find larger/fatter posts to not sit well into the ear compared to a smaller one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree with ArdynBane. Is that backer rod? If so what is the thickness? I use 1/2in and cut a small angle on the bottom before I tape some gauze on the end that goes into the ear. I find that the rod itself is too thick right now to stay in the pocket of the ear and will not allow it to be pushed all the way down.

Also, I would tape a bit closer to the tip of the ear so that it stays on the rod. You don't want your tips pulling away like the photo above. I cover my tips almost completely, they stick out just enough so I can see where to cut the excess rod.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree that the biggest reason the posts pop out is because they're not seated deep enough. Don't be afraid you'll get them too deep since their ear canal is "L" shaped so it's impossible to do.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Just gently pull up on the ear while twisting the post down (making sure you have it all the way down) in the ear works like a charm.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Make sure to tape tips of ears to backerrod.

Ragnar would pop bottoms of backerrod out no matter how deep I got them, to the bottom of ear bell. What finally worked was back taping all the way down until about 1/8” to bottom of backerrod. Makes it a little more difficult to push down there because the tape wants to stick but if you pull up on top of ear and twist while pushing down into ear bell, it will work.

Keep working on it....it will be worth it when it’s over.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Skatchkeb

Skatchkeb Member

If you pop it back in, you'll continuously be doing so... play with your variables, bottom too big? Too small? Taper the bottom? Buy name brand products. My first posts kept popping cause I was using generic cloth tape that would lose all integrity. a solid bridge in the first couple of times can help. Basically you want to be able to make a post where you dont care if the dog shakes his head crazily after cause you know they're not going anywhere. Obviously dont cut off circulation, but these little guys are built like masochist linebackers, if you dont raise em like a pansy they'll pretty much go through all the annoying things you have to do as an owner with relative ease