Posting through continuous infection

Marinegeekswife

Hot Topics Subscriber
Ares has had one level of ear infection or another since we brought him home. We've tried a daily topical and even some 30 day lasting one but we can't seem to shake it. He must have gotten some water or something in one ear the past couple days because it is downright juicy. I've been using a half backer rod with bumpers method but now I'm thinking we might need something even less invasive like zip tie or something. Thoughts? He'll be 18 weeks in a couple days and is in the middle of teething.

This photo was from right before his last posting. He's not cooperating for a new one right now, lol.
20210716_154633.jpg

Aww poor guy.... It makes it difficult when he's at such a critical make or break age and I'd personally want to keep going with full posts.
His ears look really good right now but in the thick of teething they could go down in a hurry.

What did your vet give you for the infection? I know ours gave us something to put into Albert's canal so I would just put that in before posting.

Aww poor guy.... It makes it difficult when he's at such a critical make or break age and I'd personally want to keep going with full posts.
His ears look really good right now but in the thick of teething they could go down in a hurry.

What did your vet give you for the infection? I know ours gave us something to put into Albert's canal so I would just put that in before posting.
Exactly! I hate to stop now but I can't let the infection continue either. They had us do two rounds of a daily antibiotic but when there was still some lingering they did one that lasts 30 days. With the 30 day one I was told not to clean or put anything into the canal that whole time. That's why I've been doing the half post version. I had to clean them today though. They were so horribly juicy I couldn't leave them.

When you rub the base of the ear (like you were using an ear flush), does it sound squishy?

Update: vet says he has rod shaped bacteria, which I guess is really serious. She gave us a medicated flush and another antibiotic. We're to do them at opposite ends of the day for a week then recheck. Honestly, with that level of concern and the ongoing problem I'm thinking I'm just going to go without any posting for this week to give the medicine a real chance. His health is more important than his looks. That said, if anyone knows of a method of posting completely leaving the canal open I'd love to hear it.

Update: vet says he has rod shaped bacteria, which I guess is really serious. She gave us a medicated flush and another antibiotic. We're to do them at opposite ends of the day for a week then recheck. Honestly, with that level of concern and the ongoing problem I'm thinking I'm just going to go without any posting for this week to give the medicine a real chance. His health is more important than his looks. That said, if anyone knows of a method of posting completely leaving the canal open I'd love to hear it.
Sorry to hear that. I wonder if it would help to put him in a cup again? It's sturdy, will hold the ears up even though it doesn't provide any shaping, but at least it would enable the cartilage to harden upwards while letting the ear base air out.

Sorry to hear that. I wonder if it would help to put him in a cup again? It's sturdy, will hold the ears up even though it doesn't provide any shaping, but at least it would enable the cartilage to harden upwards while letting the ear base air out.
I was thinking that too and almost commented but noticed he has quite a LONG crop. Might have to stack cups to provide the length for support for the ears.

I was thinking that too and almost commented but noticed he has quite a LONG crop. Might have to stack cups to provide the length for support for the ears.

It had crossed my mind. I'll have to see about it. I also thought about looking into one of those racks that were popular a few years back.

Had the 7 day check up and still some bacteria present. The vet just blamed the whole cropping process; not terribly helpful. I love our vet for everything else but hate dealing with anything about cropping with them. They want another 7-14 days of no posting but we've got to get his ears up! It feels no win.

I love our vet for everything else but hate dealing with anything about cropping with them. They want another 7-14 days of no posting but we've got to get his ears up!
I agree there. There are always ways to get it done; even with the slight infection.
I really dislike anti-cropping vets since they can dramatize things like that to try to get their point across.

I agree there. There are always ways to get it done; even with the slight infection.
I really dislike anti-cropping vets since they can dramatize things like that to try to get their point across.
I'm gluing in the tape wrapped zip ties right now. It isn't perfect but it's something and gives his ears some air flow.

Back