Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Posting - one standing one folding

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by BreeCrouse, Jul 19, 2020.

1. BreeCrouse

BreeCrouse New Member

Hey hey,
    I have a five month old male. When we picked him up the breeder had already had his ears done, tail docked, and due claws removed. We were able to pick him up when he was 12 weeks old. We have been posting his ears for about three months now. One ears is standing no problem and the other is still “folding”. I wasn’t sure if I could continue to post both of his ears or just one? He has no issues at all with posting and it doesn’t seem to bother him. For the ear that is standing up I switched to the breathe right strips. Is this too soon? Of course I asked the vet and unfortunately she wasn’t able to offer me any help other than to stop posting them.
    I also wasn’t sure how you know when they are 100% ready to stop being posted? Our boy has the show crop and with all of the research I have done it seems that this style takes the longest to heal?
    Any tips, tricks, or recommendations would be so helpful!!!
    Thanks so much!!

Attached Files:

2. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Welcome to the group! There are more experienced folks than me that I'm sure you'll hear from soon, but yes, keep posting. You should post through the end of teething - 6 months old or more - at the minimum, and with the long show crops up to a year. Cute pup! We love to see new puppies!

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I would continue to post both. I believe he would have an unequal feeling if you only post one.

When you say that one folds, what is the time it folds when taken out of post? Immediate? 10mins? 20mins???

Folds at base, mid ear, where does it fold?

How long is the longest it has stood?

I have read where some pups will long show crop have been posted for a year... My medium show crop took 7.5months.

TIP:
    Read this forum back to front. LOTs of great info in here!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

You definitely want to keep posting. Right now is a time a lot of people stop since they've been standing but when they're teething it's the time they're going to fail.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. BreeCrouse

BreeCrouse New Member

Thanks for the reply!! It will start to fold after about 3-5 days just depending. It is folding at mid ear. They longest it has stood was for a little over a week. The vet was saying that pups get too “dependent” on the post is that true? Thanks again!! I went ahead and posted them both last night!

6. BreeCrouse

BreeCrouse New Member

Thank you! I posted them last night. We will not give up!! We both don't want to go though all of this for nothing!! Thankful for the help

• Like Like x 2
  7. BreeCrouse

BreeCrouse New Member

thank you so much!! He is such a ham lol we will keep on keeping on! It’s nice knowing that we are doing the right thing. No matter how many bad looks I get lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Dauntless has a long show crop and I posted her ears for just under 18mos. It all depends on the length of the crop, width of the bell and the thickness of the ear leather. Keep posting, you got this! :thumbsup:

9. BreeCrouse

BreeCrouse New Member

thank you!! It’s a journey, but we are in it for the long haul!!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is great news to me. Means that it’s there and just needs to get stronger. Again with the mid ear fold, the bell has some strength and it’s moving up. Same happened to my Ragnar. It was mid ear, then kept posting. Then it was issues with the tips. Kept posting and finally all was good.

Want to post through teething. Mine stopped teething ~6months but had issues with his tips. I think he was ready to stop posting at 7 but I posted until 7.5months just to make sure.