Posting Help

jeeessiee27

Novitiate
My puppy got her ears cropped it’s been 4 days and since the first night she started to mess with her post. It got so bad we had to remove her post and repost her and once again she’s scratching her ear and is hurting herself. She even teared her stitches. At this point I want to remove her post to make her comfortable, but I’m just lost and don’t know what to do.

Is it normal for them to keep messing with the post?
Should I remove them, and let them heal then start posting? (If doing this will her ears stay posted straight up if I let her ears heal first)

Please help!

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
If she has stitches in she should not be in posts. Take the posts out and no posting until stitches are removed at the right time and the scabs are healed. Then you can start posting! They can even hang down until the stitches come out and will stand up no problem with diligent posting through teething.

jeeessiee27

Novitiate
If she has stitches in she should not be in posts. Take the posts out and no posting until stitches are removed at the right time and the scabs are healed. Then you can start posting! They can even hang down until the stitches come out and will stand up no problem with diligent posting through teething.
Thank you for commenting back. I just removed her post and seems her stitches are completely out. Now I’m worried because I’m seeing white and think it’s her Cartilage being exposed. Would we need to get her restitched?

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
Like @Rits said, they shouldn't be posted until they are completely healed. Sutures should never be covered with tape! If you think she has the stitch all pulled out, I would suggest getting her back the to vet that cropped her to possibly stitch her back up. I would ask if they could put her ears up on a cup (see picture), if not, just let them hang until they are healed.

6-2 b.jpg

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Oh my it's too bad they posted her like that right after the crop. As stated, those stitches need to be exposed so they can heal and not get infected.

I agree to bring her back in to get them restitched and tell them not to do anything else unless they can put the cup on as shown above.

Cindy Jensen

I am relatively new to Dobe Chat but after reading about posting and cropping issues, I would have to say that finding a vet that does "excellent" ear crops/posting is almost as important as finding an excellent breeder. It should be investigated before you get the pup as it's hard to find someone close enough to provide support to newbies. Posting is intimidating! My fourth Dobie has not needed much posting but the first time again after 10-11 yrs not doing it made me sweat! Just wish that new owners would have this info before they purchase their pup. Learning through mistakes is tough and hard on the animal. Somehow they love us anyway! Chin up! You will get through this!