Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Posting Help

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Kb83, May 31, 2020.

1. Kb83

Kb83 New Member

Hello from Georgia! My girl is 24 weeks (6 months) and I hoped we were through with the posting, but I'm terrified to stop. She does have all her adult teeth. I think she has a long show crop and have read about how long to post, etc., but I can't tell if it is time. Her ear tips flop around when she runs and they have a crease in the middle. I keep reading conflicting information about this. How much should they do this and what is normal? This photo is Bella after I took her posts out about an hour ago. Do you see a pocket or crease that looks like it will make them fall? She folds them back from her head a lot so I would imagine they will always have that crease. Is that true? How will I know if they are strong enough to stop? Thanks for any help that you can provide!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from SE Alabama! Your girl has such a sweet face.

It looks like you're on the right track with her ears. They are coming along nicely. They are pretty long, so I would continue to post, leaving only enough time for them to dry between postings.

Rule of thumb for me.... when I think I'm done posting, I post for at least 2 more weeks (changing posts every 3-5 days). After the 2nd posting, I test a little longer then just the drying time (2-3 hrs) before posting them back up. Any signs of them tipping, bending, wilting... they go right back up. After the 3rd posting, stretch it a little longer. During this time, I would not let her sleep with unposted ears.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Kb83

Kb83 New Member

Thank you so much! What do you think about the creases?

4. Panama

They look to be right about where they fold their ears back. Just make sure it's flat against the post.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  5. Kb83

Kb83 New Member

I feel like an idiot to keep asking dumb questions, but this is my first doberman. She holds her ears back when she's happy and they crease there like you said. Will that go away with more posting or is that a normal crease and her ears won't go back anymore? I think I have looked at every single photo here. LOL. All the ears look beautiful, but so different!

6. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hahaha.
    You want to see some dumb questions??

Go back to my post history 2.5yrs ago. I asked a lot of questions. I had so many that I spaced them out.

I remember the wait and worry because I did not want to permanently screw things up.

Listen to Panama and you won’t go wrong.

Good luck and welcome from Louisiana

7. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Laying ears back when happy & relaxed is normal, if that was your concern. Be concerned if she's trying to hold them at attention (like in your photo) and one tips over or sags. Pretty expression she has, I think you're on the right track. Panama has great advice. No dumb questions on this forum! We love to meet new puppies!!! HA @Ddski5 I'm the new question-asker of late, I'll have to look back at your history and see what you went through with Ragnar!

8. Kb83

Kb83 New Member

Thank you so much! I have had many dogs, but mostly German Shepherds and their ears just stand up. I try to read as much as I can, but didn't know what is normal for them and really really don't want to mess it up. She's such a sweet girl and so happy to sit while I post them, but the most stubborn dog I have ever had! I am so happy to have found this group and now know that this is a Doberman thing. She is also very sensitive. I guess this is also a Doberman thing? She will act all offended if I scold her and I feel terrible for raising my voice, then look me right in the eye and run after the cat or jump on my Golden Retriever. She is definitely keeping us on our toes trying to stay one step ahead of her! I feel like she is training us and not the other way around.
    I really appreciate the kind words and knowledgable replies. We just love her so much and will follow the recommendations for sure to get her ears looking perfect when the time comes.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Don't be afraid of hurting her feelings, set really clear boundaries and then reinforce them, especially with the cat & other dog. Some of these puppies are like a bull in a china shop and just play way too hard for more gentle spirited pets. We have a 5 year old Dutch Shepherd and my puppy would run over her and bully her relentlessly so supervised play only and we'd call it off if the Dutch wasn't having fun. Same with the cat, absolutely no chasing. Asha is just now 9 months and she can now be part of the pack without bullying the other two. But from 3 to 9 months of age it was a lot of corrections and/or crate & rotate. Don't be afraid to be boss, she'll respect you more in the long run & become happier knowing what's allowed and what is not.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Her ears look great but I agree that it would be best to continue posting a while longer with the length of the crop.

11. Panama

REVISION:
    That should have been: Just make sure you don't tape the natural fold forward and flat against the post.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 2