Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Posted ears worries

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Devan, Nov 26, 2019.

1. Devan

Devan Jr Member

My new puppy had his ears cropped on the 11th at a different vet because our normal vet stopped doing ear cropping due to arthritis. I took him to our vet to do the posting like we did our last Doberman on the 23rd but the keep getting scabby on the bottom and sometimes oozing. They don’t smell and they aren’t hot to the touch. Should I be worried about an infection? I added pictures of before and after I cleaned them. Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Take all that off, let the ears completely heal before posting again.

• Agree Agree x 9
  3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Ouch.... that’s not good.

Read this site. Post yourself.

4. Devan

Devan Jr Member

My husband and I are planning to take them off when he comes home from work. I just don’t like the looks of them. We did not have this problem with our female. Hers healed nicely and were able to be posted. This just didn’t seem right to me.

5. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

I agree, leave the tape and posts off until the edges are completely healed or the tape will pull them open again when you change them. Some "goop" can be normal LATER when you do post, but not an abundance nor should there be a foul smell. Keep us updated and good luck with pup.

6. Devan

Devan Jr Member

We took to the vet and they are definitely infected. They wanted us to do a soft post they got yucky after a day not nearly what they were but I don’t think we will be posting for at least a week unless we can find a way to post that does not touch the raw edge. Just worried they won’t stand if they don’t get posted but using backer rod and tape is not going to be an option for at least a week or two. I just added a pic of what his ears look like at this point.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Ddski5

Yes, those edges look raw.

Leave them alone and let them heal.

Don’t worry. You have plenty of time.

If your pup was 4-6months old, then I would be worried.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Sometimes following your gut is the best medicine. You were right. How is he doing now? He is a beautiful pup! I love his crop! :thumbsup2:

9. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

They're off to a good start and it would help if you can use a lot less tape after they're healed so it doesn't happen again.

10. Devan

Devan Jr Member

So we took him to the vet for his last set of shots and they insisted on posted said they were healed enough. However even in the spots that were completely healed his ears got red and they did not look good... we took them off again called vet and they saw him and agreed that posting with the backer rod is not an option for him... they think he reacts to the tape and the ears are not able to breath enough... so we have used the mole foam method for four days. He produces a lot of ear wax and within four days they were black at the bottom... so we will be redoing every 4 days... I shared pictures of how his ears looked tonight when I took the mole foam out to clean his ears. I know it’s not the traditional way of posting but it’s the only thing that has worked for us... the same vet did our females posting (different vet for crop due to our normal vet no longer doing because of arthritis) so we trust them and they have always been amazing to us and will squeeze us in if we call with posting issues. I also added two pictures of our female below too.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Devan

Devan Jr Member

Yes we try to follow our gut and every time we have been right when it comes to ears. I just hate that we have had so much trouble with his... our female was a breeze compared to him. I have heard each one is different and that is so true... oakley(male) is so clumsy and I asked the vet and she said some are like that. She told us he will probably be that way until about two (she also owns dobermans).

We took him to meadowland hospital in Washington pa for his crop. We couldn’t find a local vet anymore, we were sad our normal vet is no longer doing the surgery.

12. MyBuddy

It's always great to have a Vet that owns Dobermans! :thumbsup:

Sadly, they are getting fewer and fewer. :(

13. Devan

Devan Jr Member

How does that work for dobermans that go to shows?

14. MyBuddy

Well, they find them! Some driving a distance just for a Vet they prefer.

15. Devan

Devan Jr Member

They have to be cropped to show correct? I have never showed a dog so don’t really know the regulations.

16. MyBuddy

I've never shown either but good question! @Archer ?? Most that I've seen at shows are cropped.

17. Devan

Devan Jr Member

Just an update after the stress of the infection and then struggles with the ears healing we have made huge progress! Here are some pictures of with the post in and in between postings... we ended up use mike foam and glueing that inside his ear then moved on to the backer rod and glued it into the ear. Every time we tried post around the outside of the ear we had major problems. We change them ourself but I notice one ear falls forward more then the other and one had a little flip going outward we are trying to straighten.

*** please ignore the background we had Christmas stuff and painting a hallway. Teacher life get it done while on break

Attached Files:

18. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The ears are looking great. So glad you found a method to make it work for you.
    He looks super!!

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Ddski5

Those ears look fantastic!

Great job!!

Really happy for you- stress level decreased.

20. Devan

Devan Jr Member

So are we!!! We actually like gluing them versus the tape. Less hair loss and much faster especially since we work different shifts and it takes two of us to do it.

• Like Like x 1