Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Poison Proofing

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Tropicalbri's, Jun 1, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My girlfriend and I were talking about the possibility that someone might want to poison our dobes by tossing poisoned meat over the fence if they were afraid of the dogs. It’s always a real possibility so we decided we need to get a game plan together to start training in poison proofing.
    My first boy was trained to be poison proof even to the point of not accepting water only from someone. His food dish had to be given to him in such a way that he recognized as being safe. I would take his bowl and pass it under my leg, then around my back before setting down. His release command to eat was in French. He was extremely quick on picking this training up. I could leave a raw steak on my coffee table, go to work and come back home and it would still be there. He was such a smart dobe.
    My two now are energetic food processors and counter surfers (Bacall is the worst) so this training may take a while and will be intense.

Has anyone else done this training?

• Like Like x 4
    • Wow x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  2. Tropicalbri's

I need to add, the decision for this is driven by the move to Roatan. If dogs scare people over there (which our 3 would from looks and breed alone) they will try and kill them. We are also planning on having double fences about 12’ apart from each other and I will electrify the outer fence. Because we will live almost off the grid at the edge of the rain forest, I want to make sure they are safe.

• Like Like x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  3. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Wow, no such training here, but hope you get some tips on teaching this.

Three dogs?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Tropicalbri's

My girlfriend that is moving with us has a dog as well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Great idea Bri.

To overcome that ingrained instinct to eat everything would be a challenge for Ragnar to say the least.

With your disciplined household I believe you can do it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Sounds like your neighbors need some 45s to the chest, to kill a dog because it looks scary?

I can’t give any tips about the training aspect, but as far as security I can. If you’re willing to drop a little more $$ I’d suggest installing proximity sensors along with video surveillance around your property. They have systems that send you automatic push notifications to your phone so you get notified immediately if someone comes on your property. And the cameras would possibly deter any unwanted actions.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Tropicalbri's

This is in Roatan. I only have a couple neighbors, who I am not worried about, but at the end of our street back in the forest is a boat dock and it has been told to me that this is where some of the islands’ drugs come in. The very end of our property abuts this area. I saw evidence of where it looked as though several people had made a camp with empty food cans, beer and soft drink containers and a fire pit on our property when I was there last December. I plan on fencing that area off with electric fencing added to the privacy fencing I plan on installing. I just don’t want a run in with local drug dealers when we can’t have firearms ourselves until we have been residents for 24mo. I would hate to be in an Honduran jail but if someone harms my animals and I know who it is, I will make sure someone provides them with cement boots as they rest on a reef!

Our property caretaker is an ex sniper with the Honduran Army and he said for $1200 Limperas ($50.US) you can have someone eliminated. Hmmm

• Wow x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

We hired a security company called Bulldog Security that are going to install everything you spoke of, plus they patrol the property daily using several men sharing duties on 3 eight hour shifts. Just have to get the twins used to them being on the property. With WIFI sketchy we can’t always depend on cell phone notifications, hence the security guys patrolling.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

I’d be dropping a lot of 50’s if I lived their lol.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

The Sinisters won't take food of any kind from anyone other than immediate family. Even at work with me where they know everyone, they turn up their noses when an employee tries to give them a treat, even liver, which is their favorite! They also will not accept water or any other liquid. My fear has always been, what if someone throws meat into the yard. They eat bugs, grass, pine cones, etc. So our routine is check the yard each morning before they go out. Since they will barely do their business if we aren't out there with them, they rarely patrol the yard without us. I do worry about it though!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Haha, what a bargain ;) Good friend to have :thumbsup2:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This is a great idea and one of Della's sweet litter mates was actually killed when someone threw poisoned food into the fence. :(

• Empathetic Empathetic x 6
  13. Dogs4Life

Dogs4Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

I would imagine this sort of training has the best chance of success if you get them young (ie. in their puppy phase, etc.). I think Mr. Spock would not have been a good candidate. He'd eat anything within site. Recall the infamous "Chili" incident. :D

A rather timely thread for me, personally, as I'm currently undergoing one of the nastiest food poisonings I've seen in a long time... "Bi-directional" and mostly "Northern." :green::nurse: Definitely had the wrong pizza from the wrong shop. Most of the time they do it right, but something happened this time. Maybe it's because I hadn't had it in a long time, and I had too much at once. No fever, per se, so I don't think it's "viral."

Anyway, I'd start the pups as early as I can, but it makes perfect sense.

One question, Bri. I'd imagine the 12 foot walls would work well to keep them out of sight. But they won't stop the outsiders from hearing your dogs bark. Might that be just as serious a concern?

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Did you teach this or it just is that way? Lots of interest in how to teach it, if you know!

16. Tropicalbri's

The wall height will only be 7’ With the 2’ angle out fencing above it electrified. Then I will come 12’ in to build the 2nd fence which will be the inner fence, it will be 6’ with a 2’ extension of angled coyote rollers. We live on the mountain at the base of the rain forest so we hear barking dogs from miles away. No one but me cares about the barking dogs so I will have to adjust to that annoyance. Everyone is of the opinion that a barking dog is a deterrent. I agree with that but only to a point since dogs will bark at wild animals moving about. I can tell from my twins bark if it’s boredom, animals or people. They have a different bark for each.

As for poison training, my first boy Rocky was trained to poison proofing at 4yrs old. He was an exceptional Doberman though. Hopefully these two will prove to be as exceptional. I know Bogie has really picked up the pace in his training and learns extremely fast. I now have him turning right or turning left depending on which hand and command I use. He blows out the spins like it’s second nature. Next we will be working on the drop and roll overs, returning to a standing position. Lots of different training that incorporate into their daily routine. Before the eat they have to stay in the down position while I prepare their food. I feed Bacall first, in the bedroom and she has to sit, touch my right flat palm with her right paw, then touch my left flat palm with her left paw. Then she has to wait until I give her the break command before eating. Bogie has to do the same except he has to firm shake my hand instead of touching it. I now have incorporated the turns into it as well. So I am establishing the basics for poison proofing with their routines. Now I will start setting the food down and not allowing them to eat without going through the routine. Lots of training to do but I will get it done.

• Wow x 1
  17. Firestar Dobe

Firestar Dobe Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

@Ravenbird Yes and No! When we got Dauntless we decided to teach her not to take food from anyone except us. It was part of her training, using the "leave it" command. She would be offered a treat from someone, I would tell her to leave it and if she didn't take it, she would get a higher value treat from me. Since she was on the shy side it was fairly easy. 6 months later when we got Candor we did the same thing, but Candor is very food driven and wanted a treat from someone else and me! So with her we had issues right away. She would totally ignore my command to leave it. She finally got the idea that she couldn't have it, but I think that was in part due to Dauntless who would snap at her and physically block her from taking food offered by someone or food that was on the floor/table/counter. Now, both girls refuse to take food from others and won't take food from the floor/table/counter even when left alone in the house. Hubby forgot to put a large platter of roast away once, left it on the kitchen table, and left the house. When he got home about 3 hours later it was still on the table, untouched and the Sinisters got a big treat for being so good!
    I was not thrilled about the roast being left out though! :bat:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  18. Tropicalbri's

Where we are moving I would not be allowed to bring that in. They would arrest and jail me. You can’t have any gun components or ammunition brought into the country at all. It’s some pretty stiff laws and you don’t even want to be arrested there. It would be a nightmare and you don’t have rights like stateside.
    But I darn sure like that remote gun!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Tropicalbri's

I sure hope you feel better soon. I know how miserable that must be.

20. DD4MSpock

DD4MSpock Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh, OK. I don't know why I was thinking 12', but I was admiring that as the fencing around my own backyard (the parts that permit fencing) are only 6' high, and hey have to slope down to 4 ft. with open pickets, so as not to obstruct the neighbor's view of the "wilderness area" behind the properties.

As for the "barking," I was concerned because you had mentioned that if people see a Dobie on your property, they'd try to kill it by throwing poisoned food. So, if they can't see it from the fencing, might they still be able to hear the dogs bark and attempt to kill them anyway?