• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Please help. My 9 month dobie is chewing everything I put in his crate.

cam

I need help. My 9 month old puppy Bruno is chewing anything and everything I put in his crate while I am gone. From beds to blankets to water bowls and just recently, and most concerning, he chewed and ate half of the plastic floor that’s in the crate. I’m worried that he’s going to seriously injure himself eating sharp plastic like that and I don’t know what to do. I play with him, go on walks and runs with him every day but I can’t escape the fact I have to go to work and what not and if I leave him out the crate he chews everything in his sight. I’ve bought him numerous chew toys that he does chew but when I’m not there or looking he decides to chew and eat something he shouldn’t. I don’t know what to do at this point and it’s worrying me.

I need help. My 9 month old puppy Bruno is chewing anything and everything I put in his crate while I am gone. From beds to blankets to water bowls and just recently, and most concerning, he chewed and ate half of the plastic floor that’s in the crate. I’m worried that he’s going to seriously injure himself eating sharp plastic like that and I don’t know what to do. I play with him, go on walks and runs with him every day but I can’t escape the fact I have to go to work and what not and if I leave him out the crate he chews everything in his sight. I’ve bought him numerous chew toys that he does chew but when I’m not there or looking he decides to chew and eat something he shouldn’t. I don’t know what to do at this point and it’s worrying me.
And to let y’all know, I don’t force him in his crate at all I always grab his Kong toy and he runs straight to crate since he knows he gets treats for it.

Yep. It's kind of spartan, but that's the way it's gotta be, pretty much. No bed, no bedding, no pad. I have only risked one of the largest black Kongs, or the largest hardest Nylabone bones. Unfortunately, he doesn't chew them in the crate, so it was for naught. He'd rather chew the crate itself.

Describe your playing with him and your runs and walks.

Sounds like your guy has a serious case of separation anxiety. Play some crate games and practice him being in the crate for short periods of time while you are home. When you let him out don't make a huge deal about it. Mark the quiet behavior with a yes and the reward is being released from the crate for being calm and quiet. Build up duration. He will learn that going in the crate doesn't necessarily mean you are leaving and that it isnt the end of the world.

arg, that's frustrating! Especially chewing the plastic!

Crate games are a great idea! We also have cots from K9 Ballistics that are "chew proof" but still offer comfort. So far, they've held up to a digging doberman (who is a blanket shredder) and an 80lb lab for 4+ years.

Is he in his crate at night, as well?

I wonder if there is enough mental stimulation going on for him. At this age (and maybe for a few more years! :pullhair:), you could walk him all day and all night - they have endless energy - so physical tiredness isn't enough. He needs to have that brain drained! The crate games are a great start.

My almost two year old will shred bedding during the day. But will whine and not go to sleep without bedding at night time in the crate. And she has never shredded it while in the crate at night. So go figure
Also she throws a fit inside the crate during the day while we are home. All of the crate behaviors were free shaped and she has no issues with compliance regarding the crate. But has yet to fully accept the crate during the day. I guess this is just one of the things that makes owning her difficult.

I put rubber horse stall mats in my crate. I buy them from feed stores because the ones at Tractor Supply aren't as thick. They're softer than the floor and insulate from the floor. They're too stiff for the dog to pry up and they can't chew them if you cut them exactly to the crate dimensions. I use the mats in my car crates as well because they give much better footing than the plastic or metal trays.

I put a muzzle on my 4 year old overnight so he doesn't eat his bed. It's custom made by Bumas. He can pant and once threw up wearing it with the muzzle letting the stuff escape. The muzzle has somewhat changed his chewing habit, as he can now lay on a bed outside the crate without chewing it up, but he still sucks it.

Sounds like your guy has a serious case of separation anxiety. Play some crate games and practice him being in the crate for short periods of time while you are home. When you let him out don't make a huge deal about it. Mark the quiet behavior with a yes and the reward is being released from the crate for being calm and quiet. Build up duration. He will learn that going in the crate doesn't necessarily mean you are leaving and that it isnt the end of the world.
I usually do play crate games with him. Anytime I come home I don’t make a big deal about seeing him and I’ll wait a couple minutes to let him out and make him stay calm before coming out the crate. Usually after that I’ll have him try to stay come and sit for a treat but that’s the extent of what I do. But I don’t crate him while I’m home since he’s in it most of the day while I’m gone so I’ll work on having him in the crate for short periods of time while I’m home as well

Describe your playing with him and your runs and walks.
On most days I will take him on a shorter walk in the morning for him to use the bathroom and walk a bit. When I get home I usually take him outside immediately for a long walk/run (about 1-1.5 mile) and stop by a friends house to hang out and play with him there as well. Playing usually consists of tug o war, wrestling, ball chasing, or just chasing him around

arg, that's frustrating! Especially chewing the plastic!

Crate games are a great idea! We also have cots from K9 Ballistics that are "chew proof" but still offer comfort. So far, they've held up to a digging doberman (who is a blanket shredder) and an 80lb lab for 4+ years.

Is he in his crate at night, as well?
I was actually looking at that recently to potentially pick up. But no I made the mistake and let him sleep in the bed with me during the night. I’m at least going to start trying to have him in his crate from time to time while I’m home just so he doesn’t always think I’m leaving l

On most days I will take him on a shorter walk in the morning for him to use the bathroom and walk a bit. When I get home I usually take him outside immediately for a long walk/run (about 1-1.5 mile) and stop by a friends house to hang out and play with him there as well. Playing usually consists of tug o war, wrestling, ball chasing, or just chasing him around
Hi, I don’t if you have solved the chewing but what helps for me is redirecting him to his toys. Also I only put water and his chew toy (kong) in his crate with him. I also try to do mental stimulations (reviewing commands&trick, treat dispenser, snuffle mat etc). I think redirecting them early on should solve the problem.

Back