PLEASE HELP! - Allergies and Underweight

hannurr

I am so worried I feel sick. I already been to the vets paid $140 for them to tell me that Moose has a bad case of allergies and sent me home with antibiotics and a shampoo. Then a day or two later, these spots on his back leg showed up! The spots on his neck was what I initially went to the vets for and all the weird scabs and bumps and pus oozing. I think that there is something REALLY REALLY wrong with Moose as he is underweight and has been suffering all types of conditions. I can not afford more vet bills because I am only 19 years old and Moose is my sole responsibility.. I am so lost, what should I do? The vets are no help

Attachments

• 7EAA48D8-5F73-48FC-9BA0-E1B74168900A.jpeg
    7EAA48D8-5F73-48FC-9BA0-E1B74168900A.jpeg
    515.7 KB · Views: 56
  • F88122D7-31C8-4C98-AFF7-BEA5EA3A0ED4.jpeg
    F88122D7-31C8-4C98-AFF7-BEA5EA3A0ED4.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 60
  • 83E57741-C986-4C80-92F7-B7D6F05DFF41.jpeg
    83E57741-C986-4C80-92F7-B7D6F05DFF41.jpeg
    478.2 KB · Views: 50
Close up. asked vet if it was ringworm, said no

Attachments

• C2089601-6EE7-4115-B2FB-35C55B183708.png
    C2089601-6EE7-4115-B2FB-35C55B183708.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 16
Unfortunately I am newbie dobie owner and sadly dealy with some skin issues like this as well. And the awesome memebers here have always offered great advice. I'm sure the more experienced members will chime in soon.
But my thoughts are what food do you give him?
Could it be related to the food or treats?
Or any medicine he may be taking?

Did he do a skin scraping? Also did he use a Woods Lamp to rule out ringworm?

What type antibiotics did he dispense and what shampoo?

Is he on any flea/tick prevention? Also what food is he on?

How old is Moose? I know it’s a lot of questions but trying to piece it all together.

Let the antibiotics do there thing. It might take 10-14 days to clear up. I have seen similar spots in my dogs. Clears up with cephalexin in a couple of weeks.

Did he do a skin scraping? Also did he use a Woods Lamp to rule out ringworm?

What type antibiotics did he dispense and what shampoo?

Is he on any flea/tick prevention? Also what food is he on?

How old is Moose? I know it’s a lot of questions but trying to piece it all together.
He’s 4 months old.
No I asked the vet if it could be ringworm and she basically said no I would know.
He’s eating Lamb Zignature dog food.
Douxo Shampoo and Hydroxyzine 50 MG

Unfortunately I am newbie dobie owner and sadly dealy with some skin issues like this as well. And the awesome memebers here have always offered great advice. I'm sure the more experienced members will chime in soon.
But my thoughts are what food do you give him?
Could it be related to the food or treats?
Or any medicine he may be taking?
He’s eating lamb Zignature food.
He’s taking Hydroxyzine 50MG that the vet prescribed for his allergies.

Don't fret too much since I've seen much worse. The Douxo is a good shampoo and it might take a bit of time for the meds to work.

Sometimes it's just a matter of narrowing down what the problem is but it certainly doesn't look too serious to me.

Hydroxyzine is an antihistamine not an antibiotic.
We normally dispense cefpodoxime which is one of the cephalosporin drugs used to treat bacterial infections, both gram negative and gram positive.

Your pup is young and his immune system has not developed yet so I would definitely get him on a good probiotic.

Has he received any vaccinations recently? If so did the bumps develop before or after vaccination?
This time of year there are pollens out that may be contributing to allergic responses.

As @Doberman Gang said let the antibiotics do their job and if it hasn’t shown any improvement in 2wks then it’s time to look at his environment to narrow down what he may be reacting to.

Cleaning products, laundry detergent, candles, diffusers, scented plug ins, dog shampoos, flea and tick preventions, stuffed toys, his bedding can all contribute to an allergic reaction.

Try to remain calm around him so he does not pick up on your stress and worry.
Give the medication time to work before getting alarmed.
Also make sure he did receive an antibiotic because what you mentioned did not include that.

Might be a good time to add 1tsp of
Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar to his food twice a day to help with his skin.
38A1EAF4-724F-431C-81F1-08FB2AFB8BA4.jpeg

Buddy had the same spots, would scab, he has an allergy to nickel. His collar was causing problems and his ecollar. We went to different posts and had ro tape his collars. We did benedryl and the antibiotics they gave you are so they don't get infected. But try the vinegar too it helps cleanse. Hope it helps.

I lived in the San Fernando Valley when I had my last girl and the fleas were terrible there. It was a constant battle with them
in SoCal. She had sores that looked just like that from flea bites especially on her butt. They bite, move a little, bite again and so on.

As for the underweight, has he been checked for parasites? Are his stools solid? You can upload some more pics so we an get a better idea of what his body condition is.

Back