Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Planned a road trip.............................

Discussion in 'The Pet Post (Non Doberman)' started by jazzies mum, Feb 9, 2020.

1. jazzies mum

jazzies mum Notable member

Well, this coming Thursday was the day Jazz and I were planning to leave for a good long road trip. Not going to happen, at least not yet.
    Mid last week I noticed a raw spot on Jazzies tail. Gave it gentle diluted tea tree oil washes and it appeared to be healing, but booked Jazz in to the vets for a routine visit on Friday. By the time we got to the vets that tail looked rather nasty and became the focus of the visit. She has two weeks of antibiotics and Neocort cream for the site. I suspect it was a mosquitoe bite that became infected and after taking a sample to check under the microscope it appeared that that is the case, but it is being really slow to heal. Doesn't help that Jazz took the opportunity while I was looking the other way to have a good lick of it this morning! :sour:
    The tail lesion this morning. IMG_20200210_092058x2.jpg

She's not impressed by her headgear. jazz0429x2.jpg

• Empathetic Empathetic x 12
  2. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

OHHHHH poor girl!! Cone of shame and ALL!!!!

The look on her face is kinda like
    "HEY...HELP.....it's strangling me!!!! Take it off ......it's gonna choke me!!! Don't you feel bad yet, Mum...Hey MUM...it's strangling me!!"

(Along with that fake cough things kids do so well!!)

*fingers crossed* it will heal quick!!

• Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  3. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Poor girl! At least as far as ailments go it’s fairly harmless. Dang mosquitos!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

She looks so sorry for herself :( Wishing her a speedy recovery.

5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww, poor kid! Going on a road trip would have been a lot more fun. Hope she heals fast! Keep us updated.

6. Ravenbird

Ravenbird Notable member

Oh man! Sorry to see this. Too bad she has to wear a cone, but it will help prevent it from becoming a lick granuloma.

7. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

hope she feels better soon so you can get back to having fun!!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Their licking can do a lot of damage pretty quick it seems judging from the hair loss. But I agree this isn’t horrible so hopefully she heals up soon with the help of the cone which seems to be a very big size. She can’t reach her tail at all right? I am thinking of Cassie the Doberman...remember her? Keep an eye on that tail!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MyBuddy

Oh, gawd, I didn't even think of that! :wideyed:

Yea, keep that 'headdress' on!!

Or maybe those inflated thingys ?? I don't know what they call them, but my neighbor had one and it looked so much more comfortable. Buddy HATED the cone when I used it once. He wouldn't move and when he did, he was banging into the walls! Ugh, I felt so bad!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. jazzies mum

Thankyou all for the good wishes! These dogs do like to keep us on the hop!

At the moment it is all a guessing game. Just assuming it was a mozzie bite but could be a spider bite, wasp or she might have given it an extra hard bang on something. Or, (please no), it could be something more sinister. It worries me that there isn't any improvement yet and it's still looking angry. I am very aware of all the nicks and cuts she gets and it has erupted in such a short time that I am hoping it is some type of bite.

The first thing I thought of when I saw how everyone at the vets reacted to the look of that tail was how easily it might end up being lost. There really is a reason why docking as a pup makes sense with whippy tail dogs with fine coats. There is really no protection on the tail from all of lifes knocks and even taking a tumble can do damage to it. There's not much circulation to aid healing either.

And the cone of shame is not really working well at all. She allows it to be put on, but then just stands and pants. I can get her to sit by putting her in a sit physically and she points her head to the sky and pants. She will walk if I niggle at her step by step but if left she might creep until she hits something and then is stalled. The weather is hot and muggy, and after a while of all the panting she vomits. If I keep an eye on her, all the time, no distractions, I can keep her from licking as that nasty lump doesn't seem to be desperately irritating to her. But look out if I get too involved with something for too long! One of those blow up collars would probably be much better but I think that with the flexi dog that she is she would manage to get the looooooooong tail within range.

Makes you realise what's most important in life doesn't it, and it isn't a road trip!

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  11. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Can you turn the cone the other way? So it drapes over her shoulders for improved ventilation. Although I’m imagining that might make accessing the tail easier? The heat definitely seems to be an issue for her if she’s throwing up, poor thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. jazzies mum

Yes, I did think of turning the cone around, but it would then be constricting her shoulders so she wouldn't be able to walk. I might have a go at trimming some length off it and see if that could work. Right now she is parked on her blanket beside me, :sleep:, after her morning activities and feed. If there isn't any significant improvement by Friday I'll take her back to the vets, even though the antibiotics will still have another week to go.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  13. jazzies mum

Quietly hopeful that I see the first signs of healing! The hair loss is more but the skin condition seems less inflamed although there is still quite a lump. I wonder if it was a bash against something hard edged?

Did away with the cone of shame and just gave her my full concentration to prevent any licking. Pretty much the same as you do with potty training a young pup in those first few weeks. You are even on alert in your sleep! :rofl: And I spent some time giving her tail some warm salt water soaking, then leaving it to dry for a while before putting neocort cream on again. Not out of the woods yet, and I am leaving my fortnightly supplies shopping until I feel I can leave her unsupervised safely, but she seems uninterested in that sore place right now. :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. BamMoMoMommy

BamMoMoMommy $ Premium Subscriber $ $ Forum Donor $

Glad she's got the cone off.....I know they are a necessity...but OHHHHH.........they look so uncomfortable.

That's a crazy kinda sleep for sure---not really asleep or relaxed...ready to spring into action!! Hope tonight's sleep goes better for both of you.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MyBuddy

:fingersx: that she is on her way to Healing!

16. jazzies mum

Maybe I should make a new thread as things are not at all about a road trip any more!

17. MyBuddy

Well, the title reads, "planned" not ON, so maybe it's fine? :p

18. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Aww poor girl but I'm glad it's starting to get better now.

19. jazzies mum

Well, just to update this thread. The road trip is history! I was going to travel down south for about 4 weeks visiting friends, camping and meeting up with my brother to celebrate my 60th! After this mornings visit to the vet Jazz will have up to 6 weeks on antibiotics trying to overcome a deep infection. If it doesn't clear up there might actually be a tail amputation in her future, so I'll have to contact everyone and let them know the trip is just not happening.

Gotta just roll with these things, and in fact it might have been difficult with a lot of the country I aimed to travel through now under flood conditions. After the major fire conditions! What a year it has been for extremes here in Australia.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3