Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Pit Bull shot in Grand Rapids

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh OMG! That's terrible! Can they do that?? In your own backfreakingyard!??? That makes me crazy!:panicsmiley::hairpull:

2. Dakota

Dakota Member

Well you obviously haven't been to The Netherlands. My dog can't goto training in 99% of the dog schools because she is cropped and docked, it's not even in the law, they just refuse to accept her.

Second, we have a lot of muslims in our country, they do not accept dogs, they act crazy, get aggressive and their kids are out of control.

There has been a lot of hate against me and my dog, purely because she is a Doberman... I had stick and rock throwing, I had name calling, I had teasing, I had people trying to hit my dog...

That shit ain't gonna fly... The only reason I didn't do anything yet is because if I get involved into a fight over my dog it will get my dog in trouble and thats a road I wont go. In any other situation I would have been totally in my rights to knock their teeth out but because there is a Doberman involved I can't do shit cause I'm not going to take the risk.

The police doesn't do anything, trust me, my father in law is a cop.

Although The Netherlands is advertised as a decent and tolerant society the truth is far from that. Here in The Netherlands I think the only thing a dog is left to do is bark but if it's too loud people will complain. Welcome To Amsterdam.

3. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Wow Dakota, that's unimaginable to even think that that could happen in this day and age. I'm sorry you've had to go through all this. Are you originally from Amsterdam? Or are you stationed over there? Just curious. My prayers are with you, that's a heavy load to bear all alone. :)

4. MyBuddy

Gosh, I'm feeling for you too Dakota!! I don't think I realized where you lived, sorry. Well, I guess that does put a different spin on it, doesn't it? That is a cross to bear and like you said, I would be watchful of my attitude just so that they don't turn on you and take your dog away. That is a sad state of affairs!

And AMERICA? Are we listening??? Doesn't some of this sound like all the stinkin' laws they are trying to pass here???? Soon that will be all our dogs are able to do. If there are any dogs left.....

5. Dakota

Dakota Member

I'm close to Amsterdam, not originally from there.

That's what I meant, it is unbelievable in this day and age... It's not normal, it's not right.

It's not even because of my Doberman, it's the fact that people automatically assume that I have not trained her and that I am some uneducated insensitive and ignorant red neck that has an aggressive dog. I don't know about the US but here in The Netherlands you can't imagine yourself having an aggressive dog... People always advertise themselves as decent, respectful and accepting people, so, ACT LIKE IT... and most of the people do, most of the normal people come running to pet my dog, to find out information and compliment me on how beautiful she is. But there are also a lot of stupid people out there who just assume, judge and leave themselves uneducated.

Do people really think I would be so irresponsible to leave an aggressive dog off leash in the woods or at the lake or at the beach ? Do people really think that I would let her play with other dogs if she could not be trusted ? What do people think ? I am not some jerk off who thinks like that. I am a responsible dog owner and until you can prove otherwise you will threat me and my dog with respect.

6. MyBuddy

Welllllllllllllllllllll...........LOL.....I'm sure here in America there are a lot people that leave an aggressive dog off leash! Or maybe they leave them off leash and they get into a situation that has never presented itself before and they are in for a surprise! I think the irresponsible owner is what is preached about a lot here on this Forum.

7. Dakota

Dakota Member

Jup, I read about that a lot lately. It's crazy... With all the advancements this society is making, the growth of our knowledge, our science and the growth of our personal individual views. We have a lot more information available to us through the internet, through the media and through science.

You would think that in this day and age we would also change our views of dogs and other animals. 20 years ago people thought sharks were aggressive animals, now they know that they are very gentle and kind creatures only provoked into aggression... why can't people do that with dogs, why do people label us. After all this DNA research, science and all that other crap we still think dogs are aggressive by nature ? What kinda crap is that. We should have more strict laws against owners.

That's what I mean with dumb uneducated people who label 1 pitt bull or 1 doberman and then label ALL breed mates with the same stamp... Because 1 pitt bull bites that doesn't mean all pitt bull bite. That's the owners fault. In 2009 you can't label people that way anymore.

8. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

omg I am so done preaching to someone who isn't listening, I'm sorry you are going through whatever you go through over there and YES people think you will let your dog run loose in a dog park or at a beach, is why they turn and runt he other way, FEAR OF THE UNKNOWN. ANd with this I am DONE with this subject tooo Have a great day!

9. Dakota

Dakota Member

Seems you're a little stubborn to accept that people think different then you... what it so wrong with peoples opinion that do not fit your own ?

You think you're the spokes person for dog owners ? Your situation is different then mine, you can not compare "living in the hood" to my city.

Give it a rest and don't take things so personal.

10. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

^^^hahahaha look at the kettle calling the pot black, is exactly what I told you and I am fine, just not gonna keep repeating myself. Like I said have a great day :D

ANd NOW I am really done with thtis thread :D:D

11. Dakota

Dakota Member

Why are you so offensive against me ? Just because we don't agree doesn't mean we have to be like this you know.

12. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Where are you originally from Dakota? If you don't mind my asking. What your'e saying is so true about not labeling people or dogs. That is what the police in my city are doing. It sickens and frightens me all at the same time. I don't want my dogs to be next if they can shoot them right in my own fenced in back yard. :eek:

13. Dakota

Dakota Member

I'm from The Netherlands, my mom is American but moved to The Netherlands with my grandparents when she was 4 or 5 years old.

The police can never use the excuse "They fear what they do not know..." that's just lame, stupid and you come across as an ignorant and uneducated fool if you use that excuse. how far would we ever progress in life if at every new opportunity we would use that excuse.

The police here isn't allowed to shoot first and ask questions later, that ain't the problem here... In the US however, a whole different story.

14. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Yesterday I stopped a pit bull from getting shot by our local PD. This poor thing had been seen running loose all night and ended up exhausted or hurt on my meighbors sidwalk right next to her back porch steps. She had to walk around it to get into her apartment and then she called the police. The pit never moved when she walked past it. Then the police showed up and began asking everyone around there, including me, if we knew who the pit belonged to. I walked over to where the dog was laying and stood about ten feet off. There was a male officer leaning on a hand rail on teh next building over. The two properties shared a driveway. I began talking to the pit and he calmed down and layed his head on his paws. I stayed until almost the time when an animal control officer showed up to take him. As I was driving away I had to slow back down because I saw the female officer put her hand on her holster like whe was ready to shoot the dog. I mean this pit was too weak to resist. Because I slowed to a stop and watched the whole thing they didn't shoot it. I am quite positive if I hadn't been there the outcome would have been different. I had already voiced my opinion on them shooting any dog within the city limits in the paper and I'm equally sure the female officer knew who I was. I don't know the out come for this pit bull; he could have been euthanized back at the shelter, but at least he didn't suffer at the hands of our local PD yesterday.

15. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

MLR I have told you on numerous occassions, YOU ARE MY HERO!!!!! Thank you for saving him even if he was taken to the shelter and PTS at least he didn't die from a gunshot wound. THANK YOU!!!

16. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Now you made me blush. I was thinking of you the whole time, Tye. I wasn't going to let them shoot that pit if I could help it.

17. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Thank you MLR, and the APBT breed thanks you. :bighug: and lots of love from my pack

18. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

way to go mlr!!

19. MyBuddy

So glad you were there, MLR!! Way to stare them down! We're proud of you! :)

20. hall.christopher

hall.christopher Novitiate

Unfortunetly in Britain these dogs were given the excution sentence in 1991 under the dangerous dogs act passed in Parliment.All pit bulls,japenese tosa and dogo of Argentina were ordered by law to be castrated! There was big oppostion to this, but yet again the law got there way and if anyone did not comply to this droconian law,the dog was destroyed and the owner would have to do prison time. talk about the dark ages!
    So a few owners got together and bred there pits with Staffordshire Bull Terriers,making a new cross breed ,so the Goverment could not take them off them.Now unfortunetly this is being debated again in the Houses of Parliment about this cross breed,because of stupid silly youngsters using them as weapons to attack other people.Why have the masses got to suffer for the few and be dictated to by Polaticians who only care when it comes to re-elections and lining there own pockets?The Problem is the whole western world lives with Liberal polatics and what seens to be fashionable for the leaders to get re-elected.Guess what ?!its me and you as responsible owners who suffer!:angry: