Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Pit Bull shot in Grand Rapids

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Apr 8, 2009.

1. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

I think a lot of the problem is when people look at a dog like a status "thing" like Tye is saying,and a pit's way cheaper than an Escalade!!

2. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes, Tye, you are exceptional! :D :D And though it seems that it falls on deaf ears, I'm glad you keep on truckin'! Nothing will happen if you don't. The world needs people like you to be the example. It's exhausting and frustrating, but worth it. And little by little, you will be getting through, more and more! :thumbsup:

:SwinginStar:

3. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

DD - that is exactly how they look at it or as a $$ maker and nothing more, Look at me with my cute little purse dog that snaps at anything that gets close to it, or look at my bad ass pit that wears a 3" spiked collar and can't even move but bites a child because it is not properly socialized and cared for. grrrrrr just makes me soooo angry.

Thanks MLR, sometimes I don't feel so exceptional, lol. And I have to tell myself that one day it will make a difference in what I say. Someone will listen to me. I have educated a few people and I hope to eep adding to that list. Just like MB, sorry girl had to use for an example, lol, but she had no idea about BSL and that pit bulls were so targeted but that the BSL going on included DObes, I love to spread what I know and if it helps to enlighten people and they see things for what they are that makes me happy and if it gives them the knowledge to propperly fight a battle in conversation with someone then I am all over that.
    I just wish people were more receptive to the thoughts and ideas that people tell them about. That's all

Ok stepp down, done with rant, I'll leave this subject alone as it gets me a bit worked up, lol :)

4. Dakota

Dakota Member

I'm constantly confronted by people who ask me why my Doberman is such a pussy... Today she ran away for the smallest dog ever and the owner was like... "Huh ? What the... What's going on here ?"

So I was like, yeah she's a wimp but once she gets to know you she'll be licking you to death.

I'm so fed up by the bullsh*t from the media image of certain dog breeds. It's actually pretty funny cause today I came across people and their kids and they were like "NOBODY F*CKING MOVE... FREEEEEZE !

I was almost ducking down cause I thought we walked into a mine field or something but then I realized that they were freezing because of me and my dog... I got so mad at them because I actually felt disrespected and discriminated against. Later that day when we went out for a walk in the woods we came across this young couple and they guy suddenly stopped moving and I thought he stopped breathing, his girlfriend was like, "Dude? You ok ?" and then he whispered, it's the dog... watch out... And she was like, for f*ck sake dude, stop your whining.

Instead of laughing I get angry, I can't stand these people. Because I own a Doberman I'm supposed to be this redneck trigger happy dirtbag or something ? I feel discriminated and disrespected because I have not put my heart and soul into that dog and I do not spend 95% of my time with my dog to have a f*cking aggressive dog that will eat you. We don't work like that, the dog is not like that. I'm a gentle and kind person, I do not break the law and I help old ladies cross the street and I certainly ain't f*cking my dog up so she can turn into a monster... So yeah, I am offended by the mere thought that she would have any aggression in her, I would not let her run free in the woods and at the lake if I did not think it was save... It is an offense against my intelligence and my kind and gentle soul, it is disrespectful to judge me and my dog on my dogs appearance. People whine and b*tch too much cause they don't know anything, they never took the time to research the subject so they just talk smack about what they heard on T.V.

If this will continue I'm gonna pull my race card on them and go like, "Ohhh you're just saying that cause my dog is German... yeah, you racist."

Nahh serious, it's getting out of hand and cops and the media need to... NO NO wait... I have a better idea, let all those smack talkers believe what they wanna believe, let the movies display the Doberman as the vile breed, let the people believe the appearance, cause that is the only reason why a Doberman is in a movie, it looks friggin' cool, there is no other dog that can make a better impression then the Doberman, none... And if people wanna be racial on dogs, sure, go right ahead, at least the knuckle heads will stay out of my way... But please, cops ? Leave your guns at home.

5. MyBuddy

Dakota, try not to take offense to these people...I, for one, might have laughed at the guy (not breathing lol) in the woods! If my dog is that loving and well trained that I can have him off leash, I would be proud of my dog! And laughing at his fear because I know better! I would be proud of the fact that he (my dog) can put on this 'demeanor' (or fear factor) and yet be so under my control. Maybe because I am a woman, but I like the fact that people are a little afraid,....maybe RESPECTFUL is a better word. It's like carrying a gun but not aiming it at anyone and it's actually not loaded! LOL (don't beat me up cause I said that now! :) ) The 'effect' is there just by being a Doberman but I hope that by walking him calming at my side, not being a threat to anyone that they can see he's a 'nice' dog. This is where the responsible owner comes in. Actually, if the roles were reversed and I was walking in the woods and saw a Doberman off leash, I would be a little cautious too! Not because of the breed but because of the owner..I don't know him, I don't know if he's got his dog under control or not. But if he called to him or something and the dog responded I would really be impressed...and feel safe. It's gonna take a Long Azz time for people to really come to the realization that it's NOT the Breed, it's the Owner. But I think down deep, this is a little what people are thinking when confronted by a particular breed. They are afraid of the dog but only because they haven't a clue of how much control the owner has.

6. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

Great point MyBuddy,not only is it probably unrealistic to expect everyone to be informed about dobes,with any unfamiliar dog you just don't know the background or training(or lack).I think most of the sicko's that would encourage inappropriate aggressiveness would choose a rott or pitt but these dobes are so easy to train there's that possibility.Even a clueless owner could unintentionally encourage bad behaviour that could end up causing huge problems.

7. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Dakota you take way to much personally, people FEAR WHAT THEY DON"T KNOW. ANd the DObermann was bred to be a Guardian, they should ALL be a bit aggressive, to a certain point. ANd MLR is right if you haveCONTROL of your dog then even if it is aggressive it shouldn't matter. When people act like that, you SMILE and WALK away. I being the owner of APBT's deal with this on a DAILY basis. You should be proud of the fact that your girl is so even tempered and doesn't care what others think, you seem too and it will affect her as well, just take it like a grain of salt and goon about your business. Or you can make it a POINT to talk to them to SHOW them that the dogs aren't a vilea s everyone thinks they are.

And just as MLR said, I walk my dogs and have them, mainly because I LOVE this breed, but because it is a status symbol, I am 5'10" tall and weigh all of 120 lbs. I am nota strong woman, I mean I can lug stuff around and I can take care of my own but I live in the hood, as a matter of fact about 3 weeks ago my roommate got mugged a block from our house, if she had been walking one of our dogs that wouldn't have happened, I can GURANTEE that. ANd no racism did not die outliekeveryone had thought, it still exsists and people are always gonna be prejudice of our dogs, deal with it and make sure you love your dog no matter what and tell people to f off if they do that or just walk by and smile, I always like to laugh and go "Look Phoenix they moved cause they are scared of the big ole pit bull." And then most people, not all of them but most people will say something, usually like "oh I didn't mean it like that." Yes you did and then I have a whole conversation with them about what it is that they think they know about this breed. ANd as soon as they say nothing or what I hear on the news, I tell them THAT is their problem, lol

8. MyBuddy

You are referring to me, MB not MLR, right? Close, but no banana! LMAO!

9. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Yes MB, sorry about that, I was referring to you. lol hahahamy brain is not working properly this morning, lol

10. MyBuddy

<----------just looking for credit!:rofl:

11. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Gives tons of credit to My Buddy for the previous post, not MLR. (sorry MLR)

<------ ALL CREDIT TO MB :D:D:D from above posts :D:D

12. MyBuddy

:blush: *kicks at dirt with foot*

13. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

14. burlysoldier

burlysoldier Member

If you have the time to train them and channel all their energy Pits are one of the best dogs you can have. Peoples misconceptions I swear.

15. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Thank you Burly, well said

16. Dakota

Dakota Member

Well that might just be the difference between you and me. I am offended by the fact that they judge me from what they see on the outside.

People b*tch and whine about racism and equal opportunity and we should not judge people on their appearance... well, that story just doesn't fly. I don't accept it when people go use the "They fear what they do not know excuse."

We're living in 2009, we live in a society that has elevated itself to a certain level and that level is rising by the minute. You would think that people would elevate themselves aswell but because some dumb ass people keep themselves dumb we all need to lower our standard to these dumb sh*ts.

I will not lower myself because someone is stupid, uneducated and lazy. It is offensive to me when people automatically assume sh*t cause that is what they saw on T.V or heard from their peers. I will not lower myself to that standard and I do not feel sorry... You should see the dumb crap people do these days, it is offensive and I am ashamed of all these people that lower our standards.

I don't lower myself to dumb lazy f*cks, I refuse to have any sort of compassion to people who will use the "They fear what they do not know excuse." because it is not my fault that these people are dumb and ignorant for judging others on their appearance. I do not feel sorry for other peoples stupidity.

Like the guy who almost got killed by this white tiger or the dumb Australian who got stung by a stingray or the dumb ass that went playing with bears in the forest... or anything like that... People do dumb crap, people have no knowledge and are too lazy to educate themselves... If you're lazy and dumb, I do not feel sorry and I feel offended when people automatically assume that I am some jerk off who doesn't treat his dog nice and has an aggressive dog... I'm living in The Netherlands, we have standards and the percentage of aggressive dogs in our country is really really low... so yeah, I do feel offended, I'm not some punk and I take it personally when people judge me and think I am that irresponsible because if I had a jack russel or a lab or a golden, nobody would think jack sh*t of it.

And that is my reason for feeling offended because my dog is more behaved then any dog I know and I am very proud of that... So don't judge me before you get to know me :D That is my reasoning behind it.

17. burlysoldier

burlysoldier Member

Yeah Dakota thing is WE ALL GO THROUGH IT. It really is unfortunate and believe I oftentimes feel the same way. Take that Doberman(N!) out and make some converts out of these people. I was nervous as hell about bringing Zulu to work every day in my office building (elevator etc) but now that everyone knows him they LOVE him. He is adored by every person in the building. People talk about him all the time. They know he is sweet, he is smart and that they wish they had one!! So make your dobe into the ambassador for the breed he already is and try not to get mad when people get skittish. I say its a good thing he doesnt look like a King Charles! Youre right he COULD rip your face off. But he wont. Hes a sweetheart. :)

18. MyBuddy

Well, Dakota, you must get a lot more 'abuse' about your dog than I do and I'm sorry about that. Just like apbtmom, you feel it on a daily basis or at least enough to make you very defensive. It's hard when you are constantly having to 'prove' your dog is either not a wimp or not an aggressive dog. But your dog sounds so cool! So under control and trained and that is a star in your favor. I guess what I'm saying is that for me, having my dog act like yours would help make me not care what everyone was saying because he is the ambassador of the breed (Burley) ! And yes, we are in 2009 but ya know what? I think the world is getting way too politically correct instead of intelligent! lol Just my opinion. You'd think we'd be better, but there's still a lot of ill informed people. I know that is no excuse (hence, my signature!) But of course, I'd never lower myself to that either. In fact, it's the one's 'up here' that have to keep guiding the others in the right direction. At least by example.

19. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

omg Dakota, get a grip, everyone including yourself judges people, if you dont' want to be judged thne get a freaking podle and be done with it. I had a whole freaking post and I hit something and it dissappeared. You are not perfect and didn't know everything about this breeed before you got it. You judge others just as they judge you. Don't let it bother you, go on about your business, either make your dog a GREAT breed amassador or leave it alone.

And I didn't judge you. :D Have a g reat day!

20. MLR

MLR Novitiate

The problem with all this is that the police don't want to be educated before they shoot to kill. They are getting patted on teh back for doing this by public officials so the spree will continue. We've had more shot her ewhere I live since this first posted. A lady wrote to the editor today and said that two of the dogs that were shot were her son's dogs and that they were inside their own fenced in back yard and not even pit's as was reported by the police. Her grandchildren are distraught over this incident.