Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Pit Bull shot in Grand Rapids

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Apr 8, 2009.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

Pit Bull shot in Grand Rapids, witnesses wonder why

[​IMG]

August 15, 2008 - 9:49 PM

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (NEWSCHANNEL 3) - Police in Grand Rapids say that they found four or five Pit Bulls running loose near Darwin Avenue and Elm Street near dawn on Thursday.

Police say that one of the dogs bit a child on the leg; that dog was shot and killed by police.

But several witnesses say the shooting was unnecessary.

Leodora Orbina is a dog lover, and up until this incident he had four large Pit Bull mixes living in his backyard. But while Orbina was out running an errand on Thursday, the dogs got loose and someone called the police.

While the dogs were running free, someone reported that a child was bitten and the police response was swift. When Orbino came home, he found his white Pit Bull, Chico, had been shot to death with a shotgun.

Orbino told Newschannel 3 about the incident, saying that officers told him that they had to kill his dog because the dog had bitten a little girl.

Grand Rapids Police say that the animal also had to be shot to protect several Animal Control workers.

But neighbors who shot a disturbing home video of the incident say that they were petting Chico just moments before the shooting, until police ordered them to get back into their house.

Police say that they are still looking for the girl who was supposedly bitten, she was apparently removed from the scene by a parent before officers arrived.

Police also say that Orbino will be cited for allowing the animals free, and it isn't certain if he will get his other dogs back.
    -----------------------
    Original Source

2. FredC

FredC Guest

This is an older story finally gaining exposure and has recently sparked an amazing amount of controversy. there will be a spot on the news tonight about it. ill be sure to update this story once the news has aired tonight at 5 est

3. FredC

FredC Guest

There at it again half a dozen pitbulls shot by police this week by one department in MI

4. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Von this happens on a daily basis. I am sorry for the owner but his fence should have been more secure or the dogs should have been in runs. Poor dog, RIP. I hate to read stuff like this.

5. FredC

FredC Guest

I know sad but true. i only posted this because it is finally sparking a huge debate and people here in MI are finally fighting back. as a matter of fact the Detroit Pitbull ban may be reversed soon. fingers crossed.

6. FredC

FredC Guest

The little girl was never found either. just one of those things that make me go hmmm. Police really F***ed up this time killing 6 pits over the weekend. People here have had it and are fed up. the fight is on. about time and i salute those taking to the man. About time

7. MLR

MLR Novitiate

They've shot about 10 Pit Bulls in Battel Creek, Michigan in the last month and a half Von. I, too, am outraged at this happening. The mayor and city commission are standing behind the police doing this making it even more frustrating. Keep us posted please. Maybe this needs to go to the state level.

8. Michele

Michele Jr Member

Owner negligence, once again.

The whole story smells rotten to me even though the owner should of had a secure fence.

Sounds to me like these cops just wanted to eliminate another pit bull.

And, Von stated the little girl that supposedly got bit was never found.

9. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I agree...rotten. And if I were one of the neighbors who was 'petting the dog moments before' I probably would have put myself between the gun drawing cops and the dog!!! If I was just petting that dog, there's no way I'd stand by and let them shoot him....yea, and where's that little girl?? :0033:

10. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Von I hope they do overturn that bill, that would be a happy day. Fingers crossed. And if they never found the girl then what in the hell warranted them shooting 6 dogs. grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. deladobies

deladobies Member

The girl was never found because she was never bitten... people know if they report and injured child then the cops respond fast... Prob a neighbor who hated the fact that the dogs got out and called the cops...

12. MyBuddy

Yup. That's what I was thinking.

The link for the video is not longer available...did anyone see it originally? I just was curious what it showed.

13. Dakota

Dakota Member

Christ... Trigger happy cops and they weren't even sure if there was even a girl involved...

14. MyBuddy

Yea...sad. I saw a Cops show once where a guy was stopped and his dog jumped out of his truck and the cop shot him! I guess one never knows if the dog was attacking or not (and I think it was a Goldie!) but it was the saddest thing! The guy kept screaming, "Don't shoot my dog!" But he did and he died. I'm surprised they even aired it. I cried like a baby......

I think in this Pit case they figure "Its a Pit" and just don't give an ounce! ugh

15. Dakota

Dakota Member

Well my dog would have a field day... My dog jumps up to everyone to greet them, even though I keep her short leashed when people approuch but when she sees me talking to someone she always wants to greet... I ain't never talking to cops no more... I'll be running away like this... " NOOO I GOT NOTHING TO SAY TO YOU PEOPLE..." hahaha

16. hrd2gt

hrd2gt Well-Known Member

you know, i got a super secure back yard, 6 foot fence... and strong locks... but it never dawned on me that someone, some punk kid... can screw with them and undo the locks. I have a broke pad lock i hook on the latch, but may be time to invest in a working one to LOCK the gate..

17. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

No offense to any good cops out there but I've always had the theory that the job of cop or politician in general tends to attract the personalities that you least want in those jobs and the people who would actually do the best at those jobs usually don't want anything to do with them.There's a lot of cops out there who're just itching to shoot somebody or something!!

18. burlysoldier

burlysoldier Member

I have started to really sympathize for Pit Bulls. It is such a shame the misinformed public and the media trying to make a buck off over exaggerated fear inciting stories. They never tell the whole story in the truly tragic ones either. I really feel bad for this dude. Can somebody say CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT...
    It is a fact that the most popular dog in 'the hood' is the pitbull. Usually a very uninformed bunch when it comes to dog ownership. These people in most cases shouldnt be allowed to buy a plant nonetheless one of, if not THE most powerful breed of dog. Most have not the time or the means to responsibly take care of the dog either. How many people you know in the hood with a dog walker??? How people you know in the hood who work 2 jobs inexcess of 60 hours a week? Seriously people! Pit bulls make great apartment dogs but they are a TON of work. And if you dont have the time, money and most of all MATURITY then you should never have one. I hold the pit to the same degree I do the german shep, the dobe etc. Reason you dont see as many bite incidents from other breeds- PRICE and Popularity in congested inner cities. You can get a kickass Pit for way less than $500. You cant even touch Dobes, GSD's, Mastiffs etc etc for less than a grand. Cheap to acquire and a ton of work to maintain. How many dobies you see in the hood- NONE How many Pits SHITLoads. Their sheer numbers I think seem to contribute to their own problem. For every 50 dogs one is bad. Not an issue for the gsd....
    There I'm done. Sorry for the seeming rant but this is really terrible. I hope he sues the shit out of them.

19. MyBuddy

"Applause, Applause" ...well spoken words, Burly.

20. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

Burly you are so very correct and this happens everyday. If these so called "pit bulls" were correctly bred and the lines weren't so scattered and bred with other things we could ask that much for a well bred APBT but they don't want the small original APBT's they want those monstrosities they call Am Bullies. I hate, HATE the fact the people owna dog for a "designer" reason, whether it be to carry it aroundi n a handbag and dress it like a human or to walk through the neighborhood l;ooking "togugh". I live int he hood and don't have a dog walker, i walk my own dogs, I also don't work two jjobs, but there are two incomes that come intot he house and I am one of the few exceptions to being a responsible APBTowner and I preahc this everyday to anyone who will lisgten, but more often than ot it falls on deaf ears :(