Pepper 🌶️

I don't think it's abnormal. I gather from reading about your adventures together that she's generally not permitted to greet passing dogs outside the home? If I'm gathering that correctly she may just be in that default mode of what she's been taught, when it comes to humans? I'm no dog trainer and others can correct me or add other thoughts but I could see her transferring that training into how she sees people also. Have you used yourself as a block to keep her from greeting other dogs? If so she could be thinking that as long as mom is between me and the other then I'm safe and mom is happy. This same training I am guessing has never happened in the home so "oh hi freind!"

Ultimately if you're OK with her reactions in public, then it's all good for the both of you.

I don't think it's abnormal. I gather from reading about your adventures together that she's generally not permitted to greet passing dogs outside the home? If I'm gathering that correctly she may just be in that default mode of what she's been taught, when it comes to humans? I'm no dog trainer and others can correct me or add other thoughts but I could see her transferring that training into how she sees people also. Have you used yourself as a block to keep her from greeting other dogs? If so she could be thinking that as long as mom is between me and the other then I'm safe and mom is happy. This same training I am guessing has never happened in the home so "oh hi freind!"

Ultimately if you're OK with her reactions in public, then it's all good for the both of you.
Ah good points @Katyusharocket!

Correct she doesn’t greet people or dogs in public. I’ll allow a person greet only as of recent, if she’s been complaint on her walk. She really always is great on her walks and training when we are out and about.

I used to block her from passing dogs and would have her heel too. Recently, I have let her keep walking loose leash and she’s been fine doesn’t mind the other passing dog or person.

Good point about me as the block and her getting behind me when she’s given the chance to meet people or a dog.

It’s funny that she’s totally ok and the annoying one when she’s around my mil dog. These past 2 male pups she’s met she initiates the sniff then she’s like peace out gotta go! I’m fine with her not wanting to engage I mean at least she’s not full on cujo anymore. 🤷‍♀️

It’s funny that she’s totally ok and the annoying one when she’s around my mil dog. These past 2 male pups she’s met she initiates the sniff then she’s like peace out gotta go! I’m fine with her not wanting to engage I mean at least she’s not full on cujo anymore. 🤷‍♀️
I hadn't thought of this question until I clicked "post reply" but I was wondering how she was with other dogs inside your home. I think I recall that your mil brought her dog to your house, but can't say for sure, my memory may have invented that. But I was wondering if there are canine visitors in your home and how that goes if there are. If it's only been mil's dog, I might recruit a friend with a dog she is unfamiliar with and see how that goes (only if you want to know, of course).

I am just remembering now with the Cujo comment about the early problems you had in reactivity and you got to work on it right away! It's clear you have her attention and she has yours!

I hadn't thought of this question until I clicked "post reply" but I was wondering how she was with other dogs inside your home. I think I recall that your mil brought her dog to your house, but can't say for sure, my memory may have invented that. But I was wondering if there are canine visitors in your home and how that goes if there are. If it's only been mil's dog, I might recruit a friend with a dog she is unfamiliar with and see how that goes (only if you want to know, of course).

I am just remembering now with the Cujo comment about the early problems you had in reactivity and you got to work on it right away! It's clear you have her attention and she has yours!
No dogs in the home huts our cat who she can’t seem to leave alone.

We did have the neighbors come by with their doberman, that did not go well, Pepper flipped out. This was months ago.

I think she’s too protective to have a dog in our/her house she gets super alert and ready to go when dogs walk by.

Thanks so much for that comment! Appreciate it! I have the tendency to be a bit… aggressive…😜 with getting things done haha. Pepper did the work too she’s been really attentive and minding her business when we go out, I am proud of her. Thankful we can travel and go places and she’s totally chill now.

Sounds good to me! Neutral is what you want over anything else. I definitely wouldn't push making friends that she clearly would rather avoid. Like @LifeofRubie has stated, her Rubie isn't into it, so she just tells people that. Dogs are like people, some are extroverts and all social and some are not. Asha had that Cujo mode for a couple of years on people & dogs and now she can honestly ignore them - unless somebody stares or gives her the stink eye, then it's back to square one unless I catch it first.

Sounds good to me! Neutral is what you want over anything else. I definitely wouldn't push making friends that she clearly would rather avoid. Like @LifeofRubie has stated, her Rubie isn't into it, so she just tells people that. Dogs are like people, some are extroverts and all social and some are not. Asha had that Cujo mode for a couple of years on people & dogs and now she can honestly ignore them - unless somebody stares or gives her the stink eye, then it's back to square one unless I catch it first.
Yes, exactly what I was thinking too that’s her and that’s fine with me. My husband said she’s like her mom haha, and that is true! I rather do my own thing too.

I’m going to decline any meets moving forward as today made it clear she’s not into it. As well with people too she’s just not into it unless they come to the house.

I am content we got over Cujo and can just be in public now that’s a win for us.

Thank you @Ravenbird

I am content we got over Cujo and can just be in public now that’s a win for us.
It's a big win for both of you. And continue the public outings, the more the better. I've found that when they don't enjoy meeting people/dogs, go there anyway, but just ignore all people & dogs and all of a sudden they realize it's not about them! It's being in the place with you, not about being forced to meet up! You & Pepper are doing awesome.

It's a big win for both of you. And continue the public outings, the more the better. I've found that when they don't enjoy meeting people/dogs, go there anyway, but just ignore all people & dogs and all of a sudden they realize it's not about them! It's being in the place with you, not about being forced to meet up! You & Pepper are doing awesome.
Appreciate this! We do go to different places often and we both enjoy it.

Such an experience with her and I appreciate all you guys helping me through this!

You guys who need a little pumpkin now and then, I read a tip somewhere: Open your can of pumpkin and measure out your spoonfuls on a parchment-paper covered cookie sheet or plate then freeze it overnight. Put the plops of frozen pumpkin in a zip freezer bag and you can reach in and get one whenever you need to add it to a meal. ;)
Sometimes I’ll do that as a little treat for Remy, but I blend it with some Greek yogurt! I have a silicone mold that makes 2x2 inch or so squares that I freeze it in.

You guys who need a little pumpkin now and then, I read a tip somewhere: Open your can of pumpkin and measure out your spoonfuls on a parchment-paper covered cookie sheet or plate then freeze it overnight. Put the plops of frozen pumpkin in a zip freezer bag and you can reach in and get one whenever you need to add it to a meal. ;)
That's really a great idea! I've done this with pesto that I get at Costco. I'm the only one that eats it and even though it's not a gigantor bottle I would never go through it quick enough. So I plop it on to parchment paper and do the same thing.
Sometimes I’ll do that as a little treat for Remy, but I blend it with some Greek yogurt! I have a silicone mold that makes 2x2 inch or so squares that I freeze it in.
And since I do that with my pesto, I should look for some silicone molds like that. That's a good idea too.😉 I never thought about freezing yogurt though. It freezes well?

Can I do this? Lol

I used a tiny bit of Torborts glue on the breathe rite strip, then placed a light covering of the athletic tape I use for posting, tape on top and bottom. No itching now that how dried.

IMG_4669.jpeg

Can I do this? Lol

I used a tiny bit of Torborts glue on the breathe rite strip, then placed a light covering of the athletic tape I use for posting, tape on top and bottom.
LOL you can do whatever works for you. I don't bother with tape for Breathe Rights since the Torbot's keeps them in place for a long time but if you're more comfortable with the tape, go for it.

LOL you can do whatever works for you. I don't bother with tape for Breathe Rights since the Torbot's keeps them in place for a long time but if you're more comfortable with the tape, go for it.
lol 🤦‍♀️ I was worried they’d come off since I hardly used any glue. Last time she flipped out - I used too much glue.

Ears are still jiggly at the tips : /

So here we go with strips and I do think I can ditch the tape lol.

Thanks @JanS :)

Got attacked by a rabid raccoon today while out with Pepper. I’m at the ER now and I think she is ok. I will get her to vet later today. What are the chances?!

Got attacked by a rabid raccoon today while out with Pepper. I’m at the ER now and I think she is ok. I will get her to vet later today. What are the chances?!
That's insane! At least there's a vaccine for her, I hope you're both okay and hopefully not opened up from the rabid critter. Let us know how you both are later.

That's insane! At least there's a vaccine for her, I hope you're both okay and hopefully not opened up from the rabid critter. Let us know how you both are later.
I’m in the ER waiting for me shots and clean up. Got my legs really good and I’m a bloody mess. I did kill it so that’s one positive! I’m still in shock. Worried about Pepper, but she stayed back and was barking while it went down. I feel bad for her she was so worked up and I didn’t want her to get hurt.

Back