1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Peeing on other dogs & people!

Discussion in 'Training & Behavior' started by Tdog, Mar 24, 2019.

1. Tdog

Tdog New Member

Help! Hubby reported at dinner tonight that our 9-mo-old in-tact male peed on another dog AND peed on 3 different PEOPLE today at the dog park! HB didn't seem to think it was that big of a deal (beyond him being embarrassed and apologizing profusely) but I am freaking out! Can anyone speak to this bizarre behavior? I guess my specific questions are:
    1. WTF?!
    2. Am I over-reacting?
    3. Over-reacting or no, what can/should we do about this?!

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Don't stress too much. This is not a big deal. It's a problem, yes, but not a big deal. Some direction from you seems in order.

I have jovially shared how Oji has peed in the face of other dogs, and how he peed on the leg of a human female at the dog park. She was rather mortified.

3. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Exactly!

NOPE! It's rude and completely unacceptable!

Watch him close, tether him to you if you have to. When you see him start to raise that leg, correct him.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

This is an interesting problem... for those of you who have experience with this.. why do they do it?? Is it dominance, just being a jerk, marking??

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

Yes.

• Funny Funny x 7
  6. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

From my experience, it’s just marking, and when they want to mark higher up a tree/whatever object, that’s part of showing dominance. Especially when they do the “wipe feet” action to leave their scent on the ground. But Kaiser does not mark dogs or people this way haha.

Today he did his classic ‘frantic marking’ in a highly marked area. This is when he is so urgent to mark something but he’s run out of urine, he’ll have his leg up but actually starts pooping and then squats down just in time to avoid the poop hitting his hock.

• Funny Funny x 8
  7. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Also, my Rex does this too. However not to people and he only does this to one dog. My fiancé’s brother has a target dog (the target mascot) and Rex for some reason just does not like him. Pisses on him, his crate and pretty much anything the dog has.

I’ve come to the conclusion, some dogs will not like other dogs no matter what.

• Wow x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Tdog

Tdog New Member

Thanks all. Glad to know that Cord's behavior isn't totally deviant. (And comforting that both my reaction and my husband's reaction are within "normal" range, as well!)

Unfortunately it will be difficult/impossible to correct this behavior at the dog park since Cord is off leash there... but that is husband's problem, not mine! (I don't do dog park. ;)

I did however take Cord to our neighborhood PetSmart earlier last week on an unbearably rainy day for change of (dry) scenery - and noticed that he lifted his leg as if to pee while we were stopped on the end of an aisle - I couldn't believe it! - but corrected him right away (prong collar on).

So, is this inappropriate peeing/marking due to immaturity (ie, will it go away as he matures)? Or related to the fact that he is not yet neutered? Or is it purely behavioral/training and will resolve once we get it under control?

9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I'd be watching him REALLY close. He may be doing this in your house. :nono:

It will go away with training. ;)

When we brought our first dobie home, he was intact. Never had an intact dog before so when deciding to neuter or not, I researched for that answer. What I discovered is it depends on who you ask. Everyone seems to have a different answer.
    Now on my 2nd intact dog, I find it's nothing that training won't take care of.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

My Dobes have (I think perhaps each of them over the years?) peed a time or two in a Petco-type store. I'm not okay with it of course, and I at least verbally correct them when I notice it. I have also told the staff members about it, as I'd think they'd want to clean it as soon as possible. Many more times than that, I see my Dobe sniff and sort of adopt that body behavior that shows the next step is lifting the leg, but they stop themselves. Heck, for one thing, it is indoors! Never pee indoors is a basic tenet of potty training.

Yeah, training and getting your Dobe to just basically understand and accept whatever No command you choose is going to take care of this.

I would not choose neutering solely for this purpose.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Atingles10

Atingles10 Member

We brought our guy who is just under 9 months to petsmart the other day and of course right as we walked in I saw the pee from another dog and instantly panicked haha

My husband had our guy on the leash and as soon as I was getting the words out he was lifting the leg, we caught him just as he was starting and turned around to bring him back outside

I realize they have accidents because our boy has before but we at least clean it up. Once he smelt it though it was on :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Notable member

I would caution the dog park, #1. Dobes don't generally fair very well at them.

#2, do you use a water bottle at home to deter bad behavior? He really shouldn't be any further from your husband at the dog park than the distance a good water bottle spray should reach. First to correct bad behavior and two to be in close enough range to put a stop to his or any other dogs acting out. Our lab is intact and although he's the sweetest, most submissive thing, other males sometimes do not take too kindly to him and I have no shame chasing them away (dog dad insists Moo goes to the dog park even though I'm not a fan).

Even when our dogs are out in the yard, I'll take the water bottle out to deter play that starts getting too rough. He'll need to understand what NO and a spray to the butt means, though.

Moo has had 3 marking type incidents inside businesses (petsmart, brewery, dog training class) so now I'm like a hawk and call him off if he starts sniffing at something a second too long. Anticipate the behavior and correct it.

I also agree that now that he know's the behavior, neutering will not magically fix marking overnight.

13. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Both of our male Dobermans thought they'd try there luck with lifting their leg on me at about this age, both times when I was down working on the floor or ground. :nono: I let them know it was unacceptable and it didn't take long for them to figure it out.
    Ahh the age when the hormones really kick in. LOL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Wow x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

All of the above. Bogie did it to my husband while my hubs was on the throne and couldn’t move. I hate to say I laughed when hubs yelled. Bogie also started marking in the house which I put a stop to quickly. You have to be firm with them and correct immediately like @GennyB said. He is young and is in teenage mode of thinking he can do what he wants. I would rule out any health problems first but it does sound like disrespectful teenage behavior and needs consistent correction.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tdog

Tdog New Member

I've been reading alot about using a water bottle in various posts here over the last several weeks/months but have yet to try it... NOW I WILL! The thought of him marking in our house (or worse ON ME!) makes me want to :pullhair:!!!

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Oh Little Oji

Don't freak! This is not a big deal, or something to use a squirt bottle for.