• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Parvo

glad your pup is on the mend:)
my vet said she doesnt trust the shots sold at farm stores.......she said because you never know how long they may have went without refridgeration. I find it eazy to just have the vet give all our shots.

Where have I been? I hope the best for you, we unfortunately have lots of people here with experience with parvo who can tell you how it is.

Here in TX parvo is very widespread, I kept my pup on lock down til she had all her shots plus one extra

Thank all of you for your kind words. I checked on Lucean this morning at 7 and they said he made it through the night and is still fighting. I am to check back around 2 to talk to the actual vet who diagnosed him and talked to me about treatment. This is so so so stupid on my part. I wasn't aware that a puppy needs so many shots. He had his first shots so i assumed he was good and didnt need them again for a while. Which is why we had the spectra 7 in the fridge, we were planning on giving him the shot this weekend, which was too late. I am a broke college student and was trying to save a buck by doing the shots myself. Now, by trying to save 50 bucks, there is a serious chance that i will lose my best friend. And even if he doesn't make it, i will have a vet bill ranging from 500-1500 dollars. Someone should make a documentary about my dumb mistakes and show it to every new puppy owner before they purchase pups. Lucean was by far the sweetest and coolest dog to ever enter my life. I wouldn't trade him for any other dog in the world. I bought him to protect me and my future family, and i didn't do my part to protect him. I am the perfect example of the problems that come with uneducated pet owners...

Well Chad it takes a real man to own up to his mistakes. You made a mistake. We all make them and even if you are 100% careful as can be, Parvo can still rear its ugly head. Sounds like your puppy is going to make it, so be confident and once he does, MOVE ON. Don't let there be any sympathy or coddling etc. Treat him like the little man he has proven to be. Dogs do not dwell on the past. How many smiling, happy 3 legged dogs have you seen? Probably alot more than any sad 3 legged dogs right? Like Dobesmom said you have to be super vigilant about the bleaching and the 'contaminating' of areas you and your puppy will be in. Be kind to your neighbors and inform them of whats going on. Happy to see that you are making progress and I look forward to hearing more about your best friend. Believe me, we all know exactly what you mean and we all feel your pain. He has 100 dobe owners pulling for him around the globe. Good luck!!!

thank you for the advice. I checked on him again last night. They said he was still right on track but he did throw up once yesterday. But again, they said that was expected. I checked on him first thing this morning and he is still doing great. No vommit or diarrhea all night long! And once again, they said my vet will be getting in touch with me after she gets in and checks him out. They have been so great up there. I now understand that picking a vet is like picking a day care for your child.
Anyhow, i was curious about something. how am i supposed to clean everything? This is a dog that lays with me on the couch, lays in bed with me while watching TV, was very very active outside, i mean...He has just been everywhere on my property. I don't understand how I am supposed to bleach everything either. For example, will bleach not mess up my couch? My carpet? My bed? I just want to make my home a safe place for him.

I say use babygates in your kitchen and keep him locked in there and your family room floor later once you are sure he is clear. Again like they said you have to be sure you do not re-contaminate the floor by tracking it in. Shoes off at the door and clean feet only on his areas. Like they said,use high concentration bleach and water with clean mops and maybe even buy him a new bed. Wash his toys and even the baseboards and walls. I'm sure more experienced people on here will have more advice but this may be the way it has to go for a while. Congrats on how good he is doing today!

The biggest danger is to other dogs who have a low/no immunity to parvo, from what I understand about parvo. Some areas are impossible to decontaminate. It would affect dogs that come into the area, or are around him as well as people picking it up from the enviorment and taking it home with them. Parvo is widespread because it is virtually impossible to know that the house you just moved into did not have the house and yard exposed to parvo before you moved there, even in places where they have not allowed pets, strays walking/pooping in the yard can bring it. Parks, public areas, lakes, even non dog parks, pet stores (especially places that let you bring pets in)... any place dogs may have been and even people only areas where the people may have tracked it in on shoes etc. Depending on the enviroment, parvo is said to live up to 10 years in soil.

Talk to your vet and ask about building his immunity and whether he will be at risk himself once he is released from the vet. He may build an immunity to parvo similar to the one that would have been built by shots. Ask you vet if he should still recieve the vaccine or have a titer done for parvo so you KNOW he has an immunity to it.

Make sure you tell your visitors, so they can make sure their own pets have an immunity to it. If you do plan to bring another dog in later be sure they are up to date on all shots prior to bringing them home. Especially a puppy, make sure they have had starter shots and make sure they complete the series.

There is really no way to avoid parvo, it's so wide spread and lives so long in the enviroment. Even places you think are safe can be exposed by a passing dog in unfenced areas. The best way to avoid parvo is to be pro-active. Make sure mom has a good immunity before breeding so the pups have a good one to start, follow vaccine schedules to make sure they are protected between the time moms immunity starts to wane and their bodies are mature enough to build their own, and when in doubt after the last vaccine have a titer count done to be sure. Not all dogs build a good immunity by a specific age as we would expect and a titer is the only way to know for sure.

well we have another dog that we keep in the house. She is a cockapoo and has had 2 sets of shots. When I found out about Lucean sadee that same day sadee got a parvo booster just to be safe. I will let the neighbors know that there is parvo out there. I doubt they do anything for their dogs though. They don't seem to care about them much.

A booster after exposure may not help if she is already incubating the virus. Does your vet who gave her the shot feel she is at risk? If she has had shots after 16 wks she probably has an immunity. I would watch her carefully during the incubation period. I didn't see where you had ever said how long Lucean was with you before he was diagnosed with parvo. Has he been with you and around your other dog longer than the parvo incubation period from exposure to symptoms (from 7-14 days according to some sources and 4-14 according to others) or less time? If it has been more than 14 days she probably has sufficent immunity.

She is a little under a year and has had a shot since she was 16 weeks. and she has been by Lucean's side since the first day we got him, which was when he was around 7 weeks.

Anyhow, i was curious about something. how am i supposed to clean everything? This is a dog that lays with me on the couch, lays in bed with me while watching TV, was very very active outside, i mean...He has just been everywhere on my property. I don't understand how I am supposed to bleach everything either. For example, will bleach not mess up my couch? My carpet? My bed? I just want to make my home a safe place for him.
I had JUST bought a new sectional sofa when the girls got parvo. I used a 10-20% bleach, water & upholstery shampoo solution & it worked out ok for the couch & the carpets. For the bed buy a plastic matress cover, like for allergies, that zips. Bleach the bed (use an old spray bottle. I used 1 oz bleach, 1 oz bissel pet upholstery cleaner, & 18 oz water), then cover it. Then take all of your bedding & wash it with bleach. I bought cheap brooms, mops & scrubbies, bucket, ec. to do all my clean up, then tossed them after. $1 store has buckets/mops/brooms/spic-n-span great for this!!
Use plastic gloves ($1 store or drug store) & changes them after each room. I also usd plastic grocery store bags over my socks/shoes. Then I canged the bags after each room into a big garbage bag that held everything outside. Washed w/bleach or tossed the socks after finishing.

Serious business DobesMom! Wow I am impressed. I feel extremely lucky to have not had to go through this. It was a miracle being how dirty NY's sidewalks are. But we really stuck to the shoes off and bleaching the floors. Washing pups feet in the tub and keeping his bedding washed every couple days. Still, a miracle. Any improvements/latest news Chad?

Serious business DobesMom! Wow I am impressed. I feel extremely lucky to have not had to go through this.

It meant life or death for our puppies, so it was worth doing to our best ability. I redid this entire proceedure again before bringing the new puppy home! Plus gave her Parvaid 4x a day for the first 14 days.
* Just so happens she got antibiotics too (for bronchitis), so that was nice. Effectively the basics of parvo treatment - minus the fluid therapy & antivomiting drugs (not needed in her case, since she is eating/drinking fine. Parvaid can also be used as a preventative. I figured it was worth it...just to have that little extra edge).

BTW- Chad, if you'd like me to send you the remainder of my bottle of Parvaid for your other dog, and the puppy...just let me know where to send it. [email protected]
I have used a separate dosing syringe (I will include a couple new ones for you too) for each of my pets, so the bottle is fresh & uncontaminated! Ask your vet, see what he/she thinks...

http://www.ambertech.com/using.html

DobesMom:
Did your vet feel your pups were still at risk from the enviroment after they had been treated and released for parvo?
Did the vet say if having it and surviving created an effective immunity similar to the way shots would have created antibodies?
Did the vet feel a need for additional parvo vaccinations after they recovered?

The only experience I have with parvo was in 1978, there was no vaccine at the time and most vets didn't even know for sure what it was. The only thing you could do was supportive care, the same as now after a dog develops it. It would be great to know what the procedure is after they recover.

I know it can have lasting effects especially if it develops into the cardiac form. My research indicates that after a parvo recovery other things that challange the immune system like additional shots, a lot of stress etc. should be avoided but I have no first hand experience with it.

I had 2 dogs when parvo came through mississippi carried by dog show entries. The large dog a GSD survived because she had more body mass, the chi wasn't so lucky. It broke my heart to loose my chi, we had been through things I won't go into but I have never had a chi since, it's too big a reminder.

DobesMom:

The only experience I have with parvo was in 1978, there was no vaccine at the time and most vets didn't even know for sure what it was. The only thing you could do was supportive care, the same as now after a dog develops it.

Silent... I was in NY at Westminsters that year. The Gordon bitch I took came down with it. The show-vet had no idea what it was... that was the longest drive I had ever made in my life to get back to MI and to the Mich State... she was there for 3 weeks...one of the few that made it..

Back then, they said nothing about not giving shots or stressing the immunity after recovery. It was months after it that we even found out it had been given a name. Of course it was pre-internet and info seemed to move a lot slower then, at least to the average owner.

Back