1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Panic Attack while on vacation....

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by Gman88, Mar 24, 2020.

1. Gman88

Gman88 Hot Topics Subscriber

Have any of you had to deal with your pup being hurt while you were on vacation?? If so share your experience if you don’t mind. I’m trying to figure out how I’m going to approach this one as I’m still beyond pissed.

while I was on vacation I got a call from my kennel stating that my dog had been hurt and no one knows how it happened....

Bruno wound up getting 12 stitches and had be be placed under anesthesia for the procedure.

There was nothing I could do but pray he’d be okay.....

It turns out he was fine but now the hair they had to shave off isn’t growing back. Any help to solve this would be greatly appreciated!!

Attached Files:

• Empathetic Empathetic x 8
  2. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Well that's too bad but I'm glad he's okay. Is he acting okay about it or does he seem traumatized in any way?

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Arg, very frustrating!!

Is this a group play daycare? I'm not terribly fond of them for the above exact reason. The place we use currently, all dogs have their own kennels and get either one on one play time with employee's or with other dogs from the same household.

To be fair, my Dobe has scratched, cut, and dinged herself up under my 100% supervision and I still have no clue how in some instances.

His hair will grow back! Rubie got shaved for her holter test and it seemed like it was about a month or more before you could tell it have been shaved at all.

Be glad they found it and dealt with it although the anesthetic sounds like a bit much but I'm no expert.

EDIT: he is looking very handsome, though! Chicks love dudes with scars!

4. Gman88

He’s not traumatized and the kennel I board him at is good. It’s just frustrating that a cut that large went un-noticed for who knows how long.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gman88

It is a group play kennel. The large dogs have a roam and play area with 3 pools, tunnels, and obstacles. He LOVES it there and the trainers are great with him.

I’ll continue to board him there but the extra $2,000 for vet bills is what really has me mad aside from the actual incident.

haha I’ll be sure to tell him that chicks dig scars! He’s looking good but driving me crazy during quarantine..

• Empathetic Empathetic x 1
  6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I know @Antman408 had a bad situation when he left Rex with a boarding facility that came highly recommended.

I know that using Vetericyn spray helps hair grow back much faster.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lizbeli

Lizbeli Hot Topics Subscriber

Sorry to hear about your baby. I would be upset too, that a pretty big wound.

I have never boarded my dogs. Im guessing they have you sign paperwork so they aren’t liable for any accidental injuries? Because that is a hefty vet bill. They need to go through the play area and check for anything broken or dangerous. If this wasn’t caused by another dog than there is a hazard in there and it could happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Both of my previous two Dobermans died while being boarded. :ntmy:

With my second one, I had to call in a big favor from a friend to pick my Dobe up from boarding while I was on my honeymoon, as the kennel owner called to say they were not going to honor the arrangement we had agreed upon (not letting him loose with other dogs). This was a boarding experience prior to the one at which he died.

My current Dobe, Oji, had a very bad experience at a boarding kennel and the business owner claimed his complete innocence and that of his staff. This, despite his having heard, as I met with him the day of dropoff, my sad tale of prior experiences and his promising me they'd call if anything was amiss.

I think losing 11 pounds, having a coating of urine and fecal matter, having permanent grooves worn in the teeth, having almost lost his voice, having several scratches on his body and head, having some matter lodged behind a canine tooth which reeked and worried me he'd lose the tooth, etcetera as "amiss."

Glad your boy is doing well.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
  9. AnnV

AnnV $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

This is the worst nightmare. How awfully terrible.
    Can I ask what was the cause of death with both?

(I have been lucky not to have had any bad boarding experience so far.)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

My first Dobe died apparently due to heart failure (I assume DCM). The only way in which I may blame the person boarding him – a woman who we were acquainted with who boarded dogs in her home – was I suspect she did not honor my direction to NOT let him run free, as this is the only activity which I had observed a couple times that caused him to seize up and fall over passed out. The woman liked to take the dogs to the nearby dog park and I have the suspicion she did this with my Dobe, leading to his death.

My second Dobe died of bloat in a boarding kennel. I DO blame the boarding kennel because I'm almost certain they ignored my directions to NOT let my Dobe gulp water after exercise. It was an unusual heat wave at the time and I suspect they let him have his off-leash (separated from other dogs) time, then let him inside where they gave him unlimited access to water.

Then, as I mentioned, my current Dobe Oji experienced neglect and really borderline abuse at a local boarding kennel here in the Cincinnati area.

But yeah, I don't mean to hijack this thread and make it about me.

@Gman88 , did I see you had to shell out over $2K?!? I'm fortunate in that my bad experiences have not cost me much monetarily at all.

• Empathetic Empathetic x 4
  11. Gman88

Don’t worry about hi-jacking the thread, that is just terrible and my heart goes out to you.

That is seriously unfortunate and people should be held accountable.

Myers I had to shell out $2,000 for the surgery. I’m going to work something out with the kennel to off-set the cost. I understand thing happen but when you’re entrusted to care for another family member, not having answers is unacceptable.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Gman88

Indeed a hefty bill..... there is no liability clause against injuries in their contract and it’s one of the reasons why I board here. They truly care about the animals they care for.

This is a new situation for me and I feel that I shouldn’t be responsible for the whole vet bill plus boarding fees..... we shall see tho

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Gman88

Thanks for the vetericyn rec. I’m gonna check it out tonight.

• Like Like x 1