Ovariectomy done today

Dnetmd

$ Premium Subscriber $
Rhea is home after a laser ovariectomy today. Surgery went well. The doctor did say her blood did not clot as fast as he would have liked. My husband wants to get her tested for vmd when we take her for her two week check up just to be on the safe side. I thought vmd was a non-issue because only one of her parents had a carrier gene. She was sent home with antibiotics, pain meds, and sedative. I remember taking my last Doberman Sosha in for a tumor removal surgery and she was angry with us for days. Wouldn’t look at us. I had even brought her a new teddy bear for pick up and when they brought her to the waiting room she looked at us for literally a second looked away and kept walking to the door. Rhea is totally different. She wants a lot of affection. Big baby.

Attachments

• 2755021B-4819-4D14-94B0-D3CEB574F1BF.jpeg
    2755021B-4819-4D14-94B0-D3CEB574F1BF.jpeg
    364.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 9D759744-D3C5-4500-8699-060994A64B7B.jpeg
    9D759744-D3C5-4500-8699-060994A64B7B.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 14

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I'm glad it went well.
I thought vmd was a non-issue because only one of her parents had a carrier gene.
She isn't going to check out affected unless the other parent was affected; in which case it would be a possibility.
If you plan to have the vwd test done, I would just send for a DNA test from one of the places recommended here since it's much lower priced than the vet and at least as accurate.

Dnetmd

$ Premium Subscriber $
I'm glad it went well.

She isn't going to check out affected unless the other parent was affected; in which case it would be a possibility.
If you plan to have the vwd test done, I would just send for a DNA test from one of the places recommended here since it's much lower priced than the vet and at least as accurate.
Thanks, Jan. I did see that it is cheaper to order yourself but my husband didn’t know this when the vet called him. I don’t think it is necessary because only her father was a carrier. Her mother was clear per our health records. But the vet may have ordered the test already. He said the test doesn’t have a long shelf life so they order per request. I told my husband to call and leave them a message to cancel the order in case they haven’t ordered the test already.

Dnetmd

$ Premium Subscriber $
She isn’t interested in drinking water or food yet. I got her to eat some rice and scrambled eggs so I could give her her meds last night and this morning. She had a pee accident on her bed last night. She is a bit shaky. I’m not sure if from the medicine or cold. Just doing my best to keep her calm and comfortable. Pampering her more than I usually do. She is not a happy girl today.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Aw, I'm glad you're giving her such loving care!

May I ask what is the benefit of an ovariectomy? I've heard of ovary-sparing spay, which takes care of the unwanted pregnancies and (I think?) the heats, but retains the ovaries so they have their hormones.

Hope she's feeling better!

Dnetmd

$ Premium Subscriber $
Aw, I'm glad you're giving her such loving care!

May I ask what is the benefit of an ovariectomy? I've heard of ovary-sparing spay, which takes care of the unwanted pregnancies and (I think?) the heats, but retains the ovaries so they have their hormones.

Hope she's feeling better!
Thank you! These were my vets options and I wanted to go with the least invasive and fasted healing procedure that I could to be honest. There are is a very slight risk of uterine cancer in dogs from what I read so I decided to do this procedure keeping her uterus instead of removing it.

edit: for clarification, my vet options were the traditional spay and the ovariectomy.

Last edited:

Dnetmd

$ Premium Subscriber $
Well, Rhea is certainly feeling better and now I’m having to try to get her to “be easy”. The only thing that seems to be bothering her now is that she can’t play outside and run off some energy.