• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Out of country breeders

Thompson114

Novitiate
Hello, I'm in FL, U.S.A and will be looking for a european doberman puppy at Christmas. I've started looking for breeders and had a few questions.
On facebook while looking, I've noticed a lot of breeders from Serbia.
Why does it seem to be so many breeders there?
How common is it to buy and ship a doberman from outside the U.S?
How can you tell legitimate breeders from scammers(seen many so far)?
Is there pros and cons to buying out of the country vs inside the U.S. as far as quality, etc..I noticed alot of breeders dogs have been imported
If this has already been covered, please point me to the post

Did anyone provide any help?

Some people here have imported, some have bought from people in the US who use European stock.

@Thompson114 I’m in the same boat as you. Looking for a European puppy ~early 2021. I’ve emailed a few breeders in and out of the US. The ones that I’ve contacted outside of the US so far are

Lipar Land (no response yet)
Brutal Dragons (initial response of 2 upcoming litters)
Pride of Russia (no response yet)

I found these through a combination of searches on this forum, and also by looking at US breeders that have imported and looking at the where they imported from or looking through the pedigree and seeing where the previous generations have come from.

There are others that I have not contacted yet that seem to be legit but still doing research. It’s hard to sift through everything and to determine what’s legit as some of the websites and facebook pages (both US and International) don’t have updated sites / information which to adds another bit of uneasiness and complexity especially looking overseas. Also some people have bad reviews with different breeders which also makes it difficult as each experience is different and in the same internet search you’ll see comments of bad experiences and good experiences. Hope this helps

Also 2 other names that come up constantly in searches are Fort Bellator and Altebello. I have not contacted either yet.

Hi Thompson114 we have been tightening up in the UK about dogs coming into the country from countries in Europe due to puppy farms and dogs arriving in very poor health and also with forged paperwork so my advice is to be very careful and only obtain a puppy from someone who has supplied to people in the US who can recommend them Northern European countries have been the worst i know about these problems because my wife works for one of the UKs largest pet insurance companies and sees the vets reports for claims many dogs have be be put down

There are so many reputable breeders that have Euro breeding, I don't quite understand the desire to import. @PhilT - just so you know, you have to use the @ sign to tag a member.

I would agree with supporting local anything when possible (breeders in this instance), however in my limited experience searching so far (and new to finding breeders) I've had issues with contacting several breeders via email / Facebook messaging / etc. Many emails or online question / comment forms do not work and of the ones that do work there are no responses after several days. I've looked at breeders in my state, breeders I've found through web searches, and also to some of the breeders that were recommended out of state.

In a separate thread that I started regarding breeders' websites there were comments as well about breeders not responding or taking a long time to respond. I understand that owning a kennel is a full time job in itself and breeders are busy caring for and training their Dobermans / new litters and that is their first priority. I have some time (planning for early 2021) but at least for me, it's very discouraging for someone that's just starting out the search when there is lack of responsiveness which is my reasoning for expanding my search for information and finding litters that will be available for when we are ready to add a puppy to the family.

apologies Ravenbird I didn't know sorry
Oh, no apologies please! I was trying to help you learn! I was not meaning to sound harsh.

I agree, especially if you are looking for a pet, I would support the breeders we have here. But that is just me.
Yup. I thought more people could help with the non-IGP dog breeders that are leaning toward Euro. I know several of the breeders I looked at with Euro breeding the Euro side was mostly CH.show with IPO1's sprinkled in. Which I later read that lots of dogs could get IPO1 pretty easy without being a hard dog as they "needed" the title for breeding. Maybe it's a niche - the Euro non-working dogs are too corse & big for American show, and they aren't bred for working, but they would fit the bill for someone who didn't want to do either and like the looks? I dunno.

@Spoonito - I hear you. It took me almost a year to find my puppy. I had so many emails, and FB pm's, inquiries and phone calls. I'd say over 50% didn't reply. Many of the ones who did, it didn't take me long to say "thanks but no thanks" because they didn't meet my standards. Some that approved me didn't have the pup in their litter that my heart was set on (Black Female only) and although I was approved and could wait another year (!!!) I just had to move on. Happy ending, I did get the pup of my dreams (and nightmares LOL). Keep positive, keep looking, keep asking.

Thank you all,
I have also posted the same question on another site called "another board", with good. Responses

Wether its bred in Eurorpe or U.S., I know I want the European doberan style dog. Where its bred doesnt matter too much me, but I do want the quality, temperament and bloodlines..but i do not want to get scammed or buy a puppy that someones trying to build up to be the best, when its not..

For me, right now, the "show quality" is not quite as important as the working and temperment part of the breed.

Back