Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Orlando vet employee fired after slamming dog into wall

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Jun 29, 2013.

1. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

*Sigh* I had to watch it yet again..........but still don't agree with you there. That's a mighty swing she's taking there. It's the dogs body making the thud. Not him kicking off the wall.

And every time I watch it I'm reminded once again how much I feel this is HER fault. Not just for the slamming, but for not giving the dog a breather or allowing him to calm down. Each time he is on the floor and seemingly not moving, she pokes at him. Leave him alone!! Leave him on the ground, holding his head up with the leash just taunt. And just chill for a minute. No, she has to poke him, jerk the leash, and then gets mad when he reacts and she slams him a few more times against the wall. :facepalm:

• Like Like x 1
  2. MyBuddy

Yes, I do! I think in the end she was very mad!

• Like Like x 1
  3. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Like I mentioned before I don't want to continue my thoughts, they have already been made.
    Just to clear some things up, since my posts were misquoted....

Never said I would "LET" a dog rip my arm off. I said I would not result to smashing a dog against the wall even if he bit off my arm.
    My quote to confirm.

:pullhair: I don't even know how to respond to that. It is the most off based wild comment made on this thread.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MyBuddy

Well, that's fine....I agree with that. Vets and Vet Techs shouldn't have to put up with a dog that is out of control because the owner is negligent with training. I've seen it with horses.........Farriers and Vets having to deal with horses that won't stand. Mine both love my horses! :D I'm tougher on my horses than even my dogs because they are 1200 lb and can really kill you. I get right in their faces and they know I am Top Mare. I would never expect the shoer/vet to put up with crap from my horses.

But, once again, in this video we don't know what she was trying to accomplish. Or how bad the dog really was. I know small dogs are very quick and so small to work on. If this one is always out of control and just needed to be sedated I think I could get him in a crate......with that leash. Loose? In the crate loose? Hmmm..trying to grab him would be tricky and that towel might come in handy.

Theres just so many things we don't know. But I do know that I would never slam him against a wall. What if she killed him? Are the slammings really needed in a situation like this? I don't think so. I can't even say if its animal abuse or not because I don't know if this is a single incident or if this is how she handles every situation or how she even feels about animals. I'd say she was angry though. At least at the end. Come on, she's swinging that dog like a flirt pole!~ Ugh, I just don't agree.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

I do wish these people who run around videoing everything could learn to hold the darn camera still. At the end you can't see anything as it is out of focus and not even on her and the dog. I also wish if they are going to video it they would use better equipment. They always leave a lot to be desired and miss the most crucial stuff which makes you think it is edited to suit their purpose.

The first time she had the dog on the ground she did try to grab it but it bit at her so she swung it. She did not swing it at least in the video they show, until it tried to come at her and bite her.

Sorry I guess I did not see a lot of difference in letting a dog rip off an arm and can rip off an arm. My bad. And if we are judged by things we do in private then how would they know unless Big Brother is there filming???? Inquiring minds want to know and we are glad you are continuing your thoughts. It is interesting how we all see it differenlty and we all can learn from each ones perspective. I knew mine would not be the popular one but that has never made me shy away from saying it.

6. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

That's why I wanted it clarified. :)

As far as the Big brother comment, I still don't understand at all how that applies to the thread.
    I have never heard of Barrack Obama hiding in my closet videotaping me.

Ill try to clear this up even further.
    "We are judged by what we do behind closed doors"

When you are caught doing something you normally hide, you will be judged. Such as this woman.

Not by NASA, FDA, CDC, IRS, FBI, AR, or whatever other entity this may apply to.

Only referring to people getting ousted like this woman did on camera.
    Kudos to that guy.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

just watched it again twice :facepalm: , and I see no possible reason for her over the top behaviour, at one point about 17 seconds in it looks like the little dog was trying to run into the cage, she then pulled him back and started the slamming into the wall again, at the end she was carrying him by the leash around his neck, you know it's not us inciting the AR groups put people like this, I was a kennel maid for a number of years I have had animals big and small I am no soft touch my dogs respect me and trust me, this dog will never trust or respect anyone for a long time after this, it is just not right.

• Like Like x 3
  8. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Don't many of the vets offices have the closed circuit cameras to monitor things where the dogs are kept? That's what I assumed this video was, but I could be wrong too. :)

• Like Like x 3
  9. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

what I am guessing is that this is one of those customer windows, where they can see the animals.

When the guy moves the camera in on her you can almost see her shoo him away.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Then how do you think people get private videos of people??? Big brother has gone way beyond what anyone thought of when George Orwell wrote his book on it. Today everyone with a camera feeds BIG Brother. It is like everyone with a phone is a peeping tom. It is just spookie.

Jan the closed circuit camera are to give them a way to watch the dogs in critical care in case they need something and yes My vet has a system lik that set up but this was clearly someone videoing hence the shaking and moving around. I have not seen a vets office with an observation window as today most vets dont' let clients even go back with their dogs.

11. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Ill tell you what, if Edward Snowden comes out and says Hilary Clinton likes shooting home videos after breaking and entering Ill apologize.
    As of right now this is an unsubstantiated claim, rather an assumption if you will.
    :p

Until then, back to animal abuse.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Silent Dobe

Silent Dobe Well-Known Member

Just a simple question... How many of you have actually dealt with a dog coming at you on a leash? Any dog. But, true aggression?

Here is an example of a person handling this a bit better. Using similar tactics. Dog is also stressed. Different reason but the picture is the same and the result was what we desired in the employee's case. I am not agreeing or disagreeing with the trainer here, it is only meant to be an example.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVkmUR34N_U

13. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Tasha & Boris' Mom Hot Topics Subscriber

I hesitated to post this since it is a different time and age but regardless it was the way during my time.

My first Doberman was in 1974. Daddy and I have talked some about the training techniques during that time since I was young but I certainly was there since she was also my dog. Tasha Sr came from a special group of Dobermans from Midland Texas. Mom stills has her AKC papers in storage and I am really wanting to get my hands on them. Tasha wasn't her registered name when I asked daddy he said hummmm it was something Von:rolleyes: . Back in that day when you had a baby you saved your money and paid for the doctor and the hospital if you didn't have insurance. My dad built houses so no insurance. He and mama were saving for a child that mama eventually lost. Dad took the money and bought Tasha. Tasha came from the Midland Police Department guy that raised them for police dogs. Dad became very good friends with them as Tasha grew and they taught us to train her.

In that day it was violent. I don't need to say anymore but it was a battle for control and obedience. It was the police force and this is the appropriate way to train in that day. I have seen many things that I don't care to share since this is such a divided topic but I will say that I think we go overboard to scream foul and abuse. I haven't watched the video (puter won't open it) So many people don't spank their kids anymore as a result we have a generation of rude, disobedient thugs that have no respect for themselves or anyone else. Not all there are some real great young people. WE work so hard to feed our dogs as close to the wild as possible, We love the natural wild glow of a dog but when it comes to the reality that dogs are violent with each other from their pack order to feeding and living in family. My Tasha bit James when she was a puppy, she was mad, she never did it again. I think what Susan stated says it best, it is not the action but the intent of the person. If your angry and trying to hurt a defenseless animal then your a dirt bag, if your trying to meet your dogs aggression with discipline then I am for it. To each his own and I will respect anyone's right to train and raise his dog but as with children that are raised with no discipline and end up in jail, so the dog that is not taught to behave ends up in a video on the net.

Matthew to answer your question what would I do? I am a responsible pet owner. When Tasha was a baby I taught her from the beginning who our vet tech were, she was made t heel and obey their commands, I took the time to meet my vet his staff and discuss any issues that would result in a negative experience. My vet always has a chocolate in his pocket, for me :D. Once I was waiting in the room for the tech to do a quick blood draw in the back. I looked up and caught a glance at what I thought was Tasha pulling a tech down the hall, I was so angry and I snapped TASHA HEEL, then I realized it was not my dog but the authority in my voice made the dog quit pulling away. The tech smiled and said thank you, now I understand why Tasha and Boris are so well behaved, they are pleasure to treat. My vet is part of my babies lives and if you do no more than find the cheapest guy on the block then the results are you get what you pay for.

I never condone abuse ever but I will defend that abuse lies in the heart of the person delivering it and though it may look ominous the circumstance and conditions of the situation may have made the whole picture far different than it appeared. I am sure that had the video not gone public the vet would not have fired her since he didn't fire her when it initially happened so I can't give an opinion but I can tell you if one of my kids takes a swing at me they will wake up in the hospital. If my dog decides to retaliate and bites me - I bite her back :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

I don't doubt the training of all the dobes on this forum, while anything is possible it is highly unlikely one of our dogs would do this.

My question was more based off a what if question.

How would we react if we found out our dogs were treated this way? I know that they wouldn't, because I consider all of us at more of an advanced stage of pet ownership but still what if something crazy happened and you found out that this is how they handled it while you were not there?

I would be pissed.
    No ifs or ands about it.

Would I win a legal case? Most certainly not considering my dog started this. That doesn't mean what happened isn't wrong.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• Like Like x 1
  15. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

You know what solidifies this to me even more is that throughout the course of this thread i have shown it to many co workers and friends. All of whom are not biased in this subject (not saying anyone here is) and not a single person thought that this was an appropriate way to handle this.

Abuse is defined as the improper use of something.
    I could not think of a more fitting word.

While i understand drastic measures need to be taken in a situation as high caliber as this, I feel this is nowhere near a viable option to handle the situation.

The women was fired, and rightfully so.

That video you showed me silence was a different circumstance, with a dog not as out of control.
    Still I was more ok with how that was handled. The dog was controlled, and held away as to not cause harm.

Now if he picked that dog up by the collar and started playing catch with the wall, why I wouldn't feel the same.

While i also can't say that I have ever been in a situation where a "seeing red" dog was right next to me, I would like to know who has.

D4E, silence?

How did you guys handle it?

• Like Like x 1
  16. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Matthew this happened to me once in a vet situation. My Dalmatian caught and ate a pigeon that had been poisoned. She was terribly ill so I took her to a new vet on the block. 3 days later we were allowed to take her home. My girls were all young like 7,8,9 and 12 . We came in the vet office and waited for the vet. A tech brought Sydney to us and we waited for the doctor. When he came in he kept walking way around her and finally I said is there something wrong? He said she bites? I was horrified and said what? He said she bites men. I was upset and said what did you do since my dog never bit ever, I had little girls I would never have a biting dog. He smiled and said well I let the girls take care of her. He asked, do you have any men in your home and I said no not really. He said it would be a good idea to socialize her with some men. He assured me they took great care of her and I had to accept that since I had left her there unattended by me. I never leave my dogs unattended ever.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Just another reason why it is so important for us to be diligent in searching for the correct person to handle our dogs.
    You did an excellent job, by picking a rational thinker whom figured out the problem and corrected it.
    What im asking is how would you feel if you found out he picked up Your dally after she bit him, and then proceeded to bang her against the wall multiple times?

I know I have said it before, but just to be blatantly clear.
    I in no way condone the actions of this dog, or how the owners trained the dog.
    All of this could haven been avoided if they just bought a doberman and joined DCF lol.
    The fault of this stems with the owner, and ends with this tech.

Eventually in our dogs life they have to go to the be unattended. X rays, surgery, you name it. There will be a time where our dogs are separated.
    That's the situation i am referring to.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tasha & Boris' Mom

I understand what your trying to say and I agree that if someone other than myself planted my dog on the wall I would be pissed o doubt and then I would paste them on the wall, i'm funny that way but it would be no more likely than someone in a dark alley beating up my dog, it just would never happen. I give you a pass Matthew since you have not started having your human babies but once you do you will understand that you really don't leave them alone. Remember my vet sent me pics during the surgery because I want to be in the room. I didn't find a good Vet I shopped for a good vet and as it is with your human babies you don't stop looking until you find the one that has more sence than to have a practice that something like this could happen. I suppose to sum up that though terrible things happen in this world, you can avoid them if your responsible and careful and most important take a few extra minutes and build a relationship with your vet. I am sure there are people that don't like my vet, had bad experiences there and so on but I have a relationship with Dr. Stuckey, he and his staff take extra time with me because I take extra time with them.

• Like Like x 1
  19. DocReverto

DocReverto Formerly CRD

Lol it's doubtful I will ever have human babies.
    My friends can have them, and I will just enjoy those ones!

Still working on convincing the girlfriend that dogs are enough.

My dogs are my children.

I remember the surgery, and your vet is awesome about sending pictures.

My vet and I are on full understanding about how crazy I am, and he is very good about that stuff. Although luckily I haven't had to drop C or R off yet other than Crows spay.

All I was trying to portray is how mad we would be if on the impossible chance this ever happened, and our vets/caretakers reacted this way.

I would be right there with you if someone did this to my dog.
    Then I would sit back and realize "oh crap, I need to socialize my dog"

I would be unhappy with myself/and how it was handled.

Luckily most all of us have done an excellent job socializing, and are well prepared for these situations.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Tasha & Boris' Mom

on a side note do they use those sticks anymore? You know the ones that have the loop on the end but keep them far enough away that they can't bite you like the one in the movie "Turner and Hooch"??? Seems like if I were to work with animals I didn't know that had the potential to bite I would have one of those sticks handy so I could get control of the animal without either of us getting injured.