Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Orlando vet employee fired after slamming dog into wall

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by JanS, Jun 29, 2013.

1. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Caution - graphic video Raw: Orlando hospital employee slams dog against wall... | www.wftv.com

ORLANDO, Fla. — An employee at a local veterinarian's office has been fired after she was caught on camera slamming a dog against a wall.

WFTV discovered the employee, Stefanie Stasse, was fired following Thursday's story.

Friday, the office's owner said he wants her prosecuted, after defending her Thursday.

Dr. Mohammad Hassan claims he had to go by what his employees told him about the incident, and was also under advice from his lawyer not to say otherwise.

Even though he said Thursday the incident happened a year and a half ago, Friday he said he doesn't know when the video was taken.

Hassan, who stood up for his employee after alarming video of vet tech Stasse was posted on YouTube, said she is now fired.

Hassan said he is going to press charges.

"If she should serve time in jail, I don't mind that," Hassan said.

The Orange County Sheriff's Office investigated the alleged abuse and is turning the case over to the state attorney's office.

The video shows the dog being slammed against a wall as many as five times.

Hassan said Thursday Stasse had to take extreme measures to control the dog and it wasn't hurt.

"They are hollow walls there, very soft, it's not a concrete wall that if you hit the dog you're going to break his back," Hassan had said Thursday.

Friday, Hassan said his change of tune was because "Yesterday all I had was the statements from the employees."

Three former employees contacted Channel 9 after the story aired Thursday.

Hassan said he fired Sheena Torres, but she claims she quit after seeing abuse and mistreatment.

"I was not fired, I walked out. I walked out. He was angry with me because I told him, 'Listen, this cat has been here all day without treatment,'" Torres said.

Torres even complained to Animal Services.

Reports show the officer found it hard to determine the validity of some claims because the officer was not a veterinarian.

"I just hope my clients don't hold this against me personally or my good staff," Hassan said.

Viewers were so upset over the video, they even posted a petition to fire Stasse and close the clinic.

It will be up to the state attorney's office, once it gets the case, to press charges.

WFTV also contacted the Department of Business and Professional Licensing Friday, but they have not commented on whether they are investigating or not.

Original source:
    Employee caught slamming dog against wall on camera fired | www.wftv.com

• Like Like x 2
  2. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Holy...... What an idiot. I wonder what she did when she knew she wasn't being filmed? Good thing it was a soft wall.

• Like Like x 3
  3. agift4me

agift4me Hot Topics Subscriber

:wtf2: Soft wall, hard wall, it does not make a difference! And that piss poor excuse by the Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff..... was a total disclaimer and in my opinion just showed how some LE agency's SUCK at investigating animal cruelty :thumbdown: He/she should of just stated, "I DON"T GIVE A DAMN". LE Officers do not have to be a licensed Vet to write a report for a complaint of "Animal Cruelty". That's like me stating something like; "i'm not a licensed physician therefore your claim of sexual assault is hard to validate". :wtf2: REALLY?! Just take the damn report and forward it to a Detective that gives a damn!
    I can't bring myself to watch the video because I don't think there is a difference in ANY kind of ABUSE, weather it's against animal or human,... I just can't stand watching that kind of stuff :sign04: Unfortunately victims of violence/abuse are usually animal, female, child or elderly and that pisses me off to no end :stomp: The article boasts nothing but excuses by all parties involved and they're all trying to cover their own asses :pullhair:

• Like Like x 4
  4. Asteria

Asteria Formerly Luca & Co Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh my goodness. That is HORRIBLE. If that was Luca I think I would end up getting myself into trouble for going after her physically. Ugh.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

image.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  6. agift4me

• Like Like x 2
  7. Gelcoater

Irish?:)

• Like Like x 3
  8. agift4me

:D Shillelagh.

• Like Like x 4
  9. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I can't bring myself to watch the video because I get sick just thinking about this. I hope she burns!!!!!!! Nothing is more despicable to me than abuse of the innocent.

• Like Like x 3
  10. agift4me

OR DEFENSLESS.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Agreed! Kinda grouped that in there with innocent.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Tasha & Boris' Mom Hot Topics Subscriber

Where is the owner of this dog? They can press charges and certainly should. i don't think the police officer was referring to the abuse but the claim that another animal (cat) was not getting the treatment she thought it should,not being a vet he couldn't make that call as it wasn't obvious abuse. sounds like they all need to get out of the animal care business all together!

• Like Like x 3
  13. Gelcoater

IMO,neglect is abuse.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Well Gel....... neglect is of course abuse but to determine if it is neglect you have to know if it was neglect such as for us in the military there is nothing worse than having to go to the ER because it is always full of young mothers that can't get an appointment in the clinic for a week or two and are certain the sniffles is a reason to bring your young child to a nasty ER full of germs so there they sit for hours and hours, are the Doctors neglecting them, maybe or maybe they just have more pressing matters, an MP can't determine that only another medical provider can so impo to go off and start criticizing LE, for not taking action is not reasonable. They are not qualified to make such an assessment I would even venture further to say if you have brought your pet into a Vet that has failed to treat your animal in a reasonable amount of time the responsibility of the owner is there and they should seek alternative treatment or they themselves have a culpability in the neglect.

This vet is a dirt bag and sounds like his staff as well and should get into another business but I don't think there is much LE can do unless they see a measurable neglect or physical abuse. I have a family filled with LE and they get the short end of the stick so many times. They don't make the laws they just enforce them and if there is not a defined law being broken then there is nothing they can do. They have no legal right to demand a state licensed Vet preform his/her duties to their satisfaction. They are bound by the laws themselves and must work within those laws. We have a system set up to file complaints against a licensed caregiver that will result in an investigation and possibly the lose of that license but no one ever takes the time to file a complaint so the problem goes unnoticed and perpetuates to crazy things like this video. You can be assured this was not the first time this type of behavior has gone on at this office but we live in a self serve/instant society and if we don't get immediate results we don't want to be bothered with it. We have to hold professionals responsible for their behavior not the lack of laws to enforce or those that spend/risk their lives enforcing.

15. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

I would do time for that bi*ch :stomp: :tap: I cannot even imagine if she had done that to Bella or Buddy, people that hurt animals hurt people as well it's a proven fact.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

I will start off by saying I am not for animal abuse and I am not for human abuse. Both are wrong. Slamming is a very strong word. I did not see slamming - I did see a dog totally out of control and trying to bite. I saw a person who has some training but obvously did not have the correct training to deal with this dog. She did use the wall in an attempt to "knock some sense" into the dog or snap him out of his fury. I watched it three times and the dog was not thrown against the wall with force. More just a bump.

I don't approve of the method but I did not see gross abuse. The AR activitist will see gross abuse as it gives them something to whip up the mass hysteria. I have seen it at different vet clincs before which i why I always stay with my dogs. Most are not trained to work with animals they just do. I do not trust a vet assistant to know how to handle dogs period but certainly not a working breed like our dobermans. it is so bad some vets just require all dogs to be muzzled. I say that is a vet who does not know much about animals and is scared of them.

I have had vet techs come right up start to lean over one of my dogs and get in their face to pet them. I ask them to back off and to never approach a dog in that manner but to hold their hand out first and let the dog smell them then pet them under the chin. Our dogs must be under control and this dog was not under control. I have seen them put the leash around a dogs neck and then start to drag it to the back. I do not allow my dogs to be dragged period. So I walk them back and stay with them.

So yes, where was the owner??? Why was his dog so out of control? I feel the blame is equally shared and perhaps the owner should apologize to the vet clinic for not training his dog. We as owners have a responsibility to make sure our dogs are safe and leash trained.

I may need to put my flame suit on for this one.

• Like Like x 4
  17. Judith

Judith Hot Topics Subscriber

Sorry Susan but I have to disagree :cold: this vet tech is crossing the boundaries into animal abuse, the AR don't have to look too far when there are people like this around, not everyone can stay with their animal, lots of rescue dogs have behaviour problems especially at the vets, we don't know if the dog had just had a procedure done or if it was terrified of having one done, we have not got all the story, but all animals should be treat with dignity and respect and this woman shows neither, fasten the dog up and go and get someone who has self control, I was a kennel maid and a vet tech I have seen problem dogs and been bitten but I would never have treat an animal like this, she should be a prison warden.

• Like Like x 4
  18. gettinggreyer

gettinggreyer Hot Topics Subscriber

:eek:

• Like Like x 3
  19. Gelcoater

If someone tried to "knock some sense" into my dog,I would "knock some sense" into them.

I would point out here while my dog may not be trained to the level some of yours are,she's mindful...of her family.Someone else telling her to do something,she just looks at them like "who the hell are you?"
    I agree the dog was a little unruly,maybe a light sedative would be a better idea than bumping it into a wall.I know of no creature that would be calmed by such an action,only further infuriated.

I wonder Dobs4ever would your response here be different had that been your own dog and you were for some reason unable to be there during the visit when it happened?

• Like Like x 5
  20. Tasha & Boris' Mom

Well said couldn't agree more

• Like Like x 1