1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Orijen puppy food

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by Minionmama, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

We tried putting Twilight on a raw diet, but my husband couldn't control his anxiety over it and so I decided I didn't really want to get divorced over dog food arguments so I did a bunch of research on dogfoodadvisor.com and selected Orijen large puppy. I was surprised to see the recommendation for daily feeding so low, so I will probably increase it a little and see how it goes. Does anyone else use this food and have any insight?
    *she's almost as long as the step now :) IMAG2188.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  2. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Aww I bet she will find a way to stay on that step haha.

@Antman408 just transitioned his pup to exactly this food.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

She tries very hard to keep all four legs up there but it never works.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Rits

Rits Admin Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

My parents Golden Retriever eats Orijen. It's a very filling and nutrient dense food. She eats 1c 2x a day and if she's not active likein the winter she easily gains on it so 3/4c then. She's about 65 - 70lbs I'd say. Give it a shot and adjust as needed.

• Like Like x 2
  5. AresMyDobie

AresMyDobie Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Honest kitchen is a dehydrated raw food if you wanted to look into that. It’s what I fed Athena on till her appetite slowed down and she loved it. I added fresh raw food to the dehydrated mix as well, things like chicken wings, or chicken feet, beef, etc

• Like Like x 2
  6. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

I feed orijen as @Kaiser2016 just said @Antman408 just switched to it as well. You do feed much smaller portions

• Like Like x 2
  7. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

She puked after her dinner meal tonight. Just an adjustment? Or is it possible that the food doesn't agree with her. The vomit was really mucously and she had zero interest in re-eating it. She kept the morning meal down OK.

8. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

If she’s been on raw and just switched over it’s a good chance that’s what caused the puke

9. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Yes, she was on raw for breakfast yesterday. Does the food swell up in their belly? She must not feel full right after eating because she goes over to the dog food container and tries to get it open.

10. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

I always moisten the kibble

• Like Like x 1
  11. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

you may have to adjust the portions the recommendations are just a rough estimate

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Sir.duke865

Sir.duke865 Member

When antman408 was feeding raw and kibble he was having issues with stools, so the part raw part kibble was probably what made her puke.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

She hadn't had raw in about 36 hours, before the kibble.

14. Antman408

Antman408 $ Forum Donor $

Sorry I’m late to the party. My dude has a sensitive stomach, he is 13.5 weeks old. He was originally on TOTW salmon, his stomach didn’t agree to it too much. He was pooping 5-7 times a day. Somewhat soft, I also foolishly mixed raw premade dog food with it. Instant muddy run butt, so I just left it at TOTW.

I switched to orijen lp over a 7 day period of mixing old and new food. Today is the 3rd day of pure orijen and he has mudd butt for the last 10 days. Each day it’s been getting slightly more and more firm. Very slightly though, I mixed probiotics with it and started that yesterday morning. My dude weighs 30 pounds and I feed him 2 1/2 cups a day. 1 1/4 morning and night.

I contacted orijen about his mudd butt and they told me it can take up to a month for the stool to become solid. As well as several members here have said the same thing.

How is his stool?
    How many days have you been feeding?

Also, how many times a day is your pup pooping? The transition of poop went from 5-7 times a day to 2 times a day. Sometimes 3

• Like Like x 2
  15. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Today was her first day on it. She transitioned from raw so I just fasted her a day between. On raw she was only pooping once or twice a day tiny poops so this is for sure am increase she's gone 4 times today and they are good sized and soft. Once it was mud butt but the others were formed. I'm more concerned about the puking. She weighs 30lbs too and is almost 17 weeks old. She likes the food. She gobbles it right up. Her previous kibble (before we tried raw) she wouldn't eat without a crazy amount of doctoring up. She eats this and acts like she wants more. Has your guy vomited?

16. Antman408

My dog has not vomited, but his poops are inconsistent for the first few days like you described. Then complete mudd so just a warning. But the transition between raw and orijen could cause the vomiting. I wouldn’t worry about it unless it continues.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Antman408

How’s everything going OP?

18. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Sorry, I've been away from the forum for a while. Everything has worked itself out. Her poops are normal and she hasn't vomited anymore. She is gaining well (6.5lbs the past two weeks). She's happy and gobbles the food up. All is well again. Thanks for checking! IMAG2236.jpg IMAG2236.jpg IMAG2242.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  19. Antman408

That’s great OP! I had to give up on the Orijen, he didn’t take well to it at all. Pure diarrhea, vomitting and such.

I have a lot of the orijen left if you want it, it’s already packed and ready for shipping.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Minionmama

Minionmama Member

Sorry to hear that. I hope you find something that works for you. It would probably be too expensive to ship, but thank you.