Opinions on Ecollar Brands?

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
We now have the Dogtra ARC 2 Dog Model.

We had the old 1902NCP 2 Dog Dogtra's for about 8-9yrs and were very happy with them. Within that time frame needing new batteries and also the Rheostats (that changes the levels of correction) going bad. Over 8-9yrs don't think it was that bad.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I've used the same Dogtra collar as Stryker in the past. Worked great! But then I needed a 2 dog collar so I sold it and bought the Pro Educator 2 dog system. The size of the box is smaller and it has different modes of stim, plus vibration and tone which my softer dog needed just the tone.

Ddski5

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
@Ravenbird
@strykerdobe

Could y’all take some pictures of your Dobermans with the Dogtra collars on? I sure would like to see how sleek/ergonomic looking they are on a Doberman.

I have always used the ECollar Educator and it worked very well for Ragnar. But now, adding Freyja, I am in the market for a two dog system. This the inquiry on the Arc-2.

Edit: @Rits- just saw your post. What do you think of the Pro Educator 2? as compared to the Dogtra?

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
@Ravenbird
@strykerdobe

Could y’all take some pictures of your Dobermans with the Dogtra collars on? I sure would like to see how sleek/ergonomic looking they are on a Doberman.

I have always used the ECollar Educator and it worked very well for Ragnar. But now, adding Freyja, I am in the market for a two dog system. This the inquiry on the Arc-2.

Edit: @Rits- just saw your post. What do you think of the Pro Educator 2? as compared to the Dogtra?

Will do. :thumbsup2:

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
@Ravenbird
@strykerdobe

I never used the 2 dog system for the Dogtra but I really like the Pro Educator. Not sure if the arc has the tone or not. It's nice for my soft dog (Paige) who doesn't like the stim at all at her lowest level so I could select from 7 different vibration settings for her or 2 different tones. With Java the Pro Educator was nice for the ramp feature. Ramp feature will start at zero then go up to whatever the collar is set to, as long as you hold the button (10 seconds). So say you want a speedy recall, the dog would learn to come faster to turn off the collar before it ramped up to the highest level you set. It also comes with Ramp + in case you need to boost it. There's 4 buttons, you can program any of them to the collars. You can program 3 to one and 1 to the other. I use 2 and 2. You can also set each button to different stim levels so both the dogs don't have to work at the same level.

Not sure how big the dogtras are these days but the educator receiver box is much smaller than the Dogtra 1900 I had. Haven't had to replace any of the batteries in the 5+ years I've had it. Charges in 2 hours. I also like that I could go up to 3 dogs without replacing anything in the future.

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
I'll cast a positive word in here for the Sport Dog brand.

I don't know if I just happened to get a well-made specimen, but this collar that I bought for my previous Doberman is still being used with my current Doberman. On my previous Dobe, it saw some exposure to salt water. Since then, it has endured some very rough treatment at the hands of my Oji. The most egregious example is one time when he jumped up onto a porch made entirely of concrete. He slipped while making the jump and landed on his neck/throat/chin, the Sport Dog collar actually leaving a scratch mark on the concrete about 2 feet long! This, when the collar was already quite old and well-used. Didn't affect it at all. I have had to replace the receiver battery twice, and the transmitter battery once, and the unit is missing a rubber button cover on the receiver and the transmitter, so it is no longer water resistant.

Another thing I quite like about Sport Dog, and it's very important to me, is that the transmitter (the remote you hold in your hand) is nice and compact. What you see in the pictures you posted above is the same basic body design as the transmitter on the old one I have. I want my transmitter to fit in my hand and pocket as unnoticeably as possible. I don't like attention drawn to it.

Skatchkeb

Notable member
I use the sport dog 425 and recommend and teach people how to use it. Great tool, read the little training guide that goes with it. Know your tool. 7 levels of stims for correction, vibrate and a tone for affirmation. Nice compact remote. Again, know your tool. I personally want the garmin alpha 100.

Doberman Gang

Hot Topics Subscriber
Of the ones you have listed I would go with the dogtra. I have owned a few different brands most don’t have enough variance from one setting to another, so harder to fine tune To each dog. I prefer the digital dial type that go either 0-100 or more. I use all educator type collars now.

obbanner

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
My only comment is to get at least a quarter mile range. If the dog takes off after a deer, you don't want to have an out of range situation.

Good luck!

Skb

Hot Topics Subscriber
I use the Sit Means Sit Sport dog. It works great and has held up great for almost 2 yrs

Lizbeli

$ Premium Subscriber $
Hot Topics Subscriber
I have the dogtra arc and wouldn’t buy one again. I have had a much better experience with my old mini educator. I went through the reasons why in another thread on this forum. Most of it was regarding the fitment (even though its curved, it does not sit flat against the dogs neck). The remote is not as well put together as the mini educator for small hands. I have a hard time turning the knob with one hand on the dogtra.

I had a few more mentions but I’ll try to find the other thread that touches on these e collars.

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
@Ddski5 - here's Asha with the Dogtra 280NCP, about 5 years old. Not sure they even make it any more. I didn't have it quite snug enough here, and it slipped around, it should sit at the side of the neck, but this photo gives a good idea how big the box is. Just about a month ago had to get new internal batteries (it quit holding a charge), but other than that, works like a champ. Stem is 0 to over 100, Asha can be responsive at 20. There's a vibrate and she reacts more on that than a stem, no tone, no multiple dogs, plain Jane but it's all I need.

P1310403.JPG

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
From both sides. I don't always have it as tight as recommended and it still doesn't slip under the throat. Just a tip. I use an old black elastic hair band to hold the excess collar snug without having to cut it, so the extra length sits firm over the receiver. Dogtra Arc hands free model.
camp20aug063x2.jpgcamp20aug064x2.jpg