1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Opinions: Fostering.

Discussion in 'Rescue & Adoption' started by kpablo, Jun 27, 2009.

1. kpablo

kpablo Jr Member

I'm thinking about fostering for the rescue. I feel like I can help out a dog so much more if I bring it home and give it love and training, and play time. My hubs and I were thinking about getting another female next year, but if I can foster over and over I will be able to help more dogs. And I can NOT have more than 3 dogs in my house, I'd go nuts.

I can get any foster into basic OB class for nothing, or little nothing (money-talking) I know the woman who teaches the class, that's the class that Scoob is in, and let me tell ya, I've seen so much change in Scoob. He is so confident now, and he listens.

I have really taken a liking to a female doberman. She is boisterious and tries to get her way, which I kind of like. lol. BUT! I introduced her to the clicker when I first met her, 2 Sunday's ago, and she caught on extremly fast. One day she learned sit, down, and by the end of the day she was able to walk on a leash without dragging me around. The Sunday after (last Sunday) I brought Lou to the rescue, she followed him around everywhere.

What are the opinions on fostering. I have two males already, therefor wouldn't foster another male, Scoob is 2 1/2 and Louie will be 1 next month.

2. apbtmom76

apbtmom76 Guest

katie, this is a fabulous idea and yes I would stick to females. And it will help cure that new dog fever ya have and let ya get a feel for having 3 dogs in your home. The rescue will be grateful and so will the dogs you help. Good Luck girl, it is hard work but you can do it. :D

3. MLR

MLR Novitiate

I'm not trying to talk you into or out of doing this by any means. But one thing you need to be aware of is that each animal in rescue comes with it's own varying health concerns that they could pass on to your healthy dobes. That having been said I still do foster for our local shelter with kittens. But I know the risk I'm exposing my own cats to every time I do this and keep them seperated for at least a month until I've had a chance to get the fosters into my own vet to make sure they don't have Feline Leukimia or Aids. Yes, there is Feline and Canine aids and it's spread basically the same way the human version is and there's no cure for either of them. There is no vaccine for the aids factor and the Feline Leukima vaccine is only 80 to 90 % effective. So there are a lot of other variables to consider when going into fostering; not just the training issues that you mentioned. Just passing on what I've learned form doing it for 20+ years. Good luck to you in what ever you decide to do.

• Like Like x 1
  4. FredC

FredC Guest

I used to do it, until we got daisy she was on death row, now we just dont have to room. it makes me kind of sad that we cant bring one home from tie to time anymore. But the fact that we were able to save one from crtain death makes up for it. Id say if you have the room, time and energy go for it.. it is extremly rewarding and fun. the only down side i found was having to give them up when they found there forever home. But of course thats not so bad. ;)

5. deladobies

deladobies Member

I have been activly trying to help out with rescue lately in many different ways...

Fostering is wonderful but you have to remember many different things...Before you read on I think that offering to foster is wonderful and we need more families that will take these babies into their homes but much thought must be put into it before taking that step...So please dont let this scare you off but these are things you need to be aware of to foster successfully .

As MLR said They can and usually are going to be sick in some way (NOT ALWAYS BUT THEY ARE USUALY IN RESCUE FOR A REASON) ... may it be something like hook, round, tape worms, heart worms, even fleas or ticks...(Also could be much more serious) Before fostering make sure that all your dogs are health checked and UTD on all shots and monthly preventatives.

Most rescues dont come in 100% ready to adopt. They will all (no matter what) have a background that you may not always understand or be aware of. Some may have temperment problems, issues with men, children, male dogs etc... Many need to be worked with regulary and much time and attention is needed to rehabilitate them... This sometimes takes away from your dogs and family depending on the situation. Be prepared for this because how you handle and work with them is going to impact their future.

You have to remember that one day your foster will find their forever home and you will have to part ways and know in your heart that you have done the best for them and prepared them for the rest of their life... This is something that is hard for many people to handle, specially if you have children. They dont always understand why the new dog that they have loved for weeks possibly months has to leave.

Worst of all (and as I have recently learned) is that they all cant be saved no matter how hard you try. Loss is difficult anyway you put it, but very hard for someone (anyone) who is responsible for a life and is not able to save it...

The whole family has to make the choice to foster because this dog will be a part of your family until they find one of their own... Everyone has to be on board..... Husbands, wives, children, parents (if in the house) etc...This is very important because after what many of these dogs have gone through they dont need to be the center of an argument or a reason that there is tention in the house... they sense it and it is bad all around for everyone involved...

Also as mentioned before these guys may be with you for a couple days, several weeks, or even months...sometimes longer. So that is something to be prepared for.

Make sure that you have the finances to support another dog... because as a foster it is now your responsibility to house, feed and care for them till they are adopted...

Now if you understand all that and agree and can honestly say that you are alright with all the above and prepared for a foster I say go out there and bring your first foster baby home... They need your love, time, dedication, and devotion to thrive in life and move forward past whatever has put them where they are today.

fostering is very rewarding and a worth wile experience for both you and your foster...

• Like Like x 2
  6. deladobies

deladobies Member

There are also many other ways to help for those of you who may not be able to foster...

All rescues need help with transportation... May it be from ACS, the pound, humane society, a home or just to and from vet visits... THIS IS A HUUUUGE HELP AND A HUGE WEIGHT OFF

Dontations are vastly needed, weather it be food (call the rescues first they usually have a preference) beds, bankets, bowls, collars, leashes etc etc... These are all things that are overlooked by people but are very important to a dog that had came in with nothing... Money donations are needed as well, but in the long run these things are usually what the money gows towards and some people feel better donating items rather then money

last but not least

Your time... anyone can take time out of their day, week, or month to spend a couple of hours with a rescue group. Volunteers are needed for events, kennel help, and desperatly needed for basic training and socialization... You have no idea how much an afternoon of your time is worth to a dog that is in rescue...

I encourage everyone to take a even one day out to help out a local rescue, and for anyone offering their home to a foster thank you. every little bit helps. Nothing is too small... Get out there and help

7. kpablo

kpablo Jr Member

Good post deladobes. And very good advice.

I am very active in the local doberman rescue, therfor know extactly which dog needs what. For example, the dog I will be taking in needs some basic OB skills, as well as learning bounderies and 'manners'

The shelter covers 100% food, kennel, vet expenses, etc. Although the dogs arn't on the best of food, therefor will be using my own money to buy her quality kibble.

The main reason I want to foster is because certain dogs need one on one attention in order to be adopted faster. I'm sure I will be a bit sad to see a dog go, but all in all they will go to a forever home and I will be able to help another dog.

We don't have children that live with us, therefor explaining to the children wouldn't be difficult.

Both of my dogs are fully vaccinated, and Louie even comes with me to the rescue to 'help out'. lol.

I know how difficult it is to see a dog going through pain such as HW treatment, as Scooby my own APBT had to go through it, therefor know what can be a result of it.

I worked in a hospital through-out college, therefor I truly believe I have a 'thick' heart. Not that I don't have the capacity to care, because I do! Duh. But I'm willing to see the bigger picture, not hold on to something that could move on to bigger and better things.

8. deladobies

deladobies Member

Thats great Kpablo, your gonna be wonderful... Good luck with everything

9. MLR

MLR Novitiate

Yes, good luck to you. Although there are challanges as dela and I have pointed out, it is, also, very rewarding to know that if not for you this animal might not have made it. And I agree with dela; the hardest part is letting go when the time comes for them to go to their, hopefully, forever home. This is something that always stays with you; the wondering if their new owners will live up to their promises to keep and care for them for the rest of their lives. Sometimes you know, but most times after they leave your care there is no ongoing connection to be sure that this is how it all turned out for the animal. This is how I ended up with four cats aged 17 years to 9 months at the present time. There is always one from each litter of kittens I foster that somehow weasels it's way into my heart.

10. MLR

MLR Novitiate

P.S. Can I send Chloe out to you for training on not pulling on the leash? If you did all that in one day; you're good. lol. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Great posts Dela!! Well said, with good (and true!) information!! Something for everyone who wants to foster to think about.

Kpablo, good luck with this! It sounds like you are prepared and will do a great job! It takes a special person for this kind of work and I hold those people in high regard! Bless all of you!

• Like Like x 1
  12. DoberDon

DoberDon Hot Topics Subscriber

Sounds like you know exactly what fostering involves and with your experience helping rescue,you can make a huge difference in your foster dogs lives! I've always gotten rescued dobes but I know even if I could afford to foster,I just couldn't stand to bond with a dog,then let it go.I have huge admiration for anyone that can foster!I just know I couldn't without getting burnt out very quickly.Thank you for being willing to help,I think you'll do a great job!!