Oops: Delta Airlines Loses Prized Westminster Show Dogs

I travel with my dogs all the time...by car. I don't trust other people and am a bit of a control freak when it comes to their care. Fortunately, we attend shows within a day's drive and my dogs are good in the car. If I did have to fly them, it would have to be for a really good reason. Doubt I will show at Nationals this year due to it requiring a flight. Aria would have to have strong chance at placing for me to even consider putting all three Dobermans on a plane

@Gretchen_Red talk to your vet about Dramamine. It's better than Benadryl for travel. They could also give you a doseage. I would only medicate her if you think she will be upset as I think it would be better for them to be more alert and less relaxed if they can be.

Why wheels? Just curious
So you can roll the crate around with you as needed. I know I was lugging that thing around, dragging it on the carpet in some cases. With the dog inside it sucked.

Come to think of it, don't airports have carts onto which you can load luggage? Maybe that would be better than trying to get a crate with wheels. My cheapskate is showing.

In other words, I've never considered paying for a cart at the airport.

So you can roll the crate around with you as needed. I know I was lugging that thing around, dragging it on the carpet in some cases. With the dog inside it sucked.

Come to think of it, don't airports have carts onto which you can load luggage? Maybe that would be better than trying to get a crate with wheels. My cheapskate is showing.

In other words, I've never considered paying for a cart at the airport.
The wheeled crates are nice, but I wouldn't want to have her ride in a wheeled crate in the plane. Doubt they allow that. We use crate dollies at shows and have the best of both worlds. They are a bit pricey (around $150), but hold the weight of an averaged sized adult (don't ask me how I know, lol) and come in handy for lots of other things.

The wheeled crates are nice, but I wouldn't want to have her ride in a wheeled crate in the plane. Doubt they allow that. We use crate dollies at shows and have the best of both worlds. They are a bit pricey (around $150), but hold the weight of an averaged sized adult (don't ask me how I know, lol) and come in handy for lots of other things.
Yes. Our crate has removable wheels so I was picturing removing them and packing them in my bags when it ws time to finally load the crate onto wherever it gets loaded and leaves your care.

Thanks @Archer I will ask the vet since we do need a health cert. anyways so a visit will be scheduled.

And thank you to everyone for your advice. This will probably be our only trip. I wish I could fly my big dogs as easily as my lil ones. :(

We're lucky that we have a small 1 gate airport that Delta serves and their connection is always in Minneapolis where they seem to be "pretty" competent. With Della they got her off the plane right away and put her on the luggage cart.
First crate siting.jpg

And with Albert the kid was super nice and went out to the plane the minute it was chalked and hand carried him in right away.
Crate coming off plane sized.jpg

I've never flown a dog, had a puppy flown to me and I haven't been on an airplane myself since probably the 80's....lol...but had to comment on a few things. :D
Your health and your ability to return home safely to your loved ones are in the hands of so many people, some of whom you can be sure are being too lazy or careless to do their job. I mean, an employee sees an empty animal crate and just pushes it along down the line? It probably had stickers on it that read "LIVE ANIMAL." Failing anything else, what about "If You See Something Say Something" ?
THIS is so true! Did they see an empty crate marked LIVE ANIMAL and not think something was amiss??? :facepalm:Come on!
Twice I have had puppies miss their connecting flight in Atlanta and that means they arrive late on the next flight. I have been upset that they do not tell you or call to inform you of this challenge. If they just made a simple phone call to the people on the other end to let them know not to go to the airport early as the puppy is arriving late it would go a long long way in customer service.
I would think that phone call is a given! Why wouldn't they do that as a matter of fact??
The weather is definitely a persistent concern, although they do travel in a climate controlled area
Climate controlled. Ok, that was my next question, thank you. I wondered how they are shipped. Didn't it used to be in the luggage area and NOT controlled? Maybe that was years ago. I haven't flown in quite some time. :whistle:
If you give Benadryl, I wonder if you should do a trial run with it to make sure she'll do okay with it.
Good point. I sure wouldn't want to be worrying that my dog was having a problem all alone!
. I also recall the flight attendant handed me a piece of paper like a little ticket once my Dobe had been loaded on the plane. This was an assurance that the animal had made it aboard.
Love that! Maybe it's a lot more work for them but boy, having them keeping me up to date on all that was happening with my pet would go a long way for me. :love:
I travel with my dogs all the time...by car. I don't trust other people and am a bit of a control freak when it comes to their care.
Me too. :bag: I hate to say it but there's no one I trust completely for my dogs or horses. Not even my husband! :rolleyes: I can never rest easy when away from my animals. Does that make me a control freak?? :wacky:
They are a bit pricey (around $150), but hold the weight of an averaged sized adult (don't ask me how I know, lol) and come in handy for lots of other things.
:rofl: I don't have to ask how!! I have a great imagination!! :spit:
It makes me kind of emotional looking back at them
Oh, its funny you said that because by the time I looked at your photos and got down to reading your post, I already had a lump in my throat!! :sorry:

It makes me kind of emotional looking back at them because most of us know the anticipation of waiting for a puppy to come home and when the moment finally arrives the excitement is through the roof. :)
I can feel the excitement you must have felt in those photos. I felt it the day we hopped in the car to go pick up Aria. Such an exciting rush!

Climate controlled. Ok, that was my next question, thank you. I wondered how they are shipped. Didn't it used to be in the luggage area and NOT controlled? Maybe that was years ago.
I looked into it a lot before we had any pups shipped and there are two options with one being only a few dollars more. DASH
https://www.deltacargo.com/ProductsRates/Specialty/LiveAnimals.aspx#Rates
RATES
Delta Cargo provides three convenient options for shipping your animal. Click here to view specific rate information.

• DASH is our express service and ensures your animal will receive priority boarding. Rates are based on the weight of the kennel and its contents, including your pet.
  • Rates for shipping animals with our standard product are based on the origin and destination and the size and weight of the kennel or container.
What???
  • All service animals will be charged the applicable live animal rate.
https://www.deltacargo.com/ProductsRates/Rates,SurchargesMiscellaneousFees.aspx#live_animals

I looked into that Jan it was going to cost $600 ONE WAY!!! What the... That's more than my entire flight!!!

I bet that service animal thing is because there are so many con artist out there who just want to take their dogs with them everywhere and not pay! It's sad that people with REAL disabilities suffer because of the crazies! Yes, I said it crazies! Because I am one! I love taking my dogs everywhere but I refuse to do it at the cost of someone else's freedoms!

It's sad that people with REAL disabilities suffer because of the crazies! Yes, I said it crazies! Because I am one! I love taking my dogs everywhere but I refuse to do it at the cost of someone else's freedoms!
I totally agree there!

Back