Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Oops: Delta Airlines Loses Prized Westminster Show Dogs

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by obbanner, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Gretchen_Red

Gretchen_Red Hot Topics Subscriber

This is not the story I want to hear as I plan to fly Gretchen to KY with me in April! How do you lose something, especially a LIFE, on a nonstop flight?

2. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Interesting. I've flown maybe three times with my best buddy. I don't recall it ever being the situation that he would be removed from his crate and handled by anyone but me. I know I had to bring him out of his crate once so agents could look inside. Personally, I would not be okay with any stranger handling my dog. But then again, I don't see myself ever flying with my dog again.

A couple things strike me particularly about the story:

1.) Apparently it doesn't matter if your dog has shown at Westminster. You're treated just the same by the airlines: Just like crap.

2.) According to the story, a dog owner was delivered an empty crate. This is the chief reason I try to never fly. I mean besides delays and the threat of being held prisoner on a plane for indefinite, extended periods:

Your health and your ability to return home safely to your loved ones are in the hands of so many people, some of whom you can be sure are being too lazy or careless to do their job. I mean, an employee sees an empty animal crate and just pushes it along down the line? It probably had stickers on it that read "LIVE ANIMAL." Failing anything else, what about "If You See Something Say Something" ?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

I have shipped Delta for over 15 years without problems. When I am traveling and check the puppy in they come just before the flight takes off and tell me the puppy is now loaded on my plane which I appreciate. Of course .......they have outsourced much of their counter help now to NON employees of any airlines and service has gone to hell in a hand basket. JMHO

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Gretchen_Red

I would be upset with the flight attendants, maybe I'm ignorant about the process but it seems like it would be fairly easy to check with baggage to make sure the animals were indeed on the plane.

5. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

Twice I have had puppies miss their connecting flight in Atlanta and that means they arrive late on the next flight. I have been upset that they do not tell you or call to inform you of this challenge. If they just made a simple phone call to the people on the other end to let them know not to go to the airport early as the puppy is arriving late it would go a long long way in customer service. I have never had one lost. They always could tell me exactly where the puppy was and why it did not arrive on time.

I will say this - at the new regulations and the extra added expense of having to ship a full grown dog in a giant crate that cost 3 x's as much money and could be a safety hazard as the dog could be thrown around more in the larger crate they have made shipping dogs almost impossible. They make darn good money so they should provide better service. I agree no idiot should try to ship two puppies in the same crate but the larger crate is more of a safety hazard IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Oh Little Oji

It should be easy!!

And, sorry, I know my opinions on flying don't help you right now, Gretchen_Red what with your upcoming flight :rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. FredC

FredC Guest

I myself appreciate the fact that somebody takes enough care of them that the puppies view the experience as an adventure and not a traumatic experience. But I suppose that's the difference between puppies adult dogs. I'm certain I would feel the same way as you if they were messing with any of my adults, totally different with puppies imo.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Oh Little Oji

Maybe that's because you command respect, D4e! :D

9. FredC

FredC Guest

Thanks. But I personally wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

10. Oh Little Oji

The highlight of my dog flying career was when, in the Rochester, MN airport (one of those really small ones that are not too bad) a Northwest ticket agent who was a very nice lady and also owned a Doberman took it upon herself to upgrade me to first class. That whole experience setting off on that flight was great. Several employees of various types coming over and talking to me about my Dobe. Then there was the flight. I think I am cut out for first class.

Trying to get home though was more stressful. I'd already been delayed a day due to snow which was actually great as I got put up in a hotel for an extra day (I don't think the airline did this). So it was another enjoyable stroll around that area of NYC with my Dobe and a visit to whatever market had some beer. Yes, I had to put him on a stay outside and tie him up. Terrible person that I am.

But the next day I had gotten the town car ride back to the airport, gotten dropped off, gotten my boy and his crate and my bags out, dragged the crate up to the ticket counter only to find that I was not going to be able to fly with my dog because of the low temperatures. So it's a run back out to the curb to see if my ride was still there. Or maybe I called him. I don't remember. But I didn't know if I would have a hotel room for another night.

I don't remember how it all worked out but it was chaos.

Travel.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. FredC

FredC Guest

The weather is definitely a persistent concern, although they do travel in a climate controlled area but extreme temperatures in either direction are still unacceptable for travel. With that being I'd still no doubt be completely and totally stressed out if I was traveling with one of my dogs like that... I can agree I probably would never do that again either.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gretchen_Red

This is my first time flying with a checked pet. It's very simple to do as a carry on and I've done that many times over. Any advice? My plans are to give her a Benadryl in hopes of making her drowsy so maybe she'll sleep? After arriving hold off checking her to as late as they will allow and then asking the flight attendant, as soon as I board, to double check for me that my dog is on board as well? These are just my thoughts but I will take any advice from those of you that have flown before with your dogs if you have any?

13. CrazyByzLady

CrazyByzLady Member

My situation differs from yours. As I always travel with a service dog the problems I encounter are related to the fact that many people have pretend SDs. I am asked questions that are intrusive, medical related etc. Some people are curious others are rude. I carry information that I know is NOT required just for the peace it gives me.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Gretchen_Red

That bothers me to no extent that people do that! I know I could fly my dog in the cabin with me for free but I refuse to sink to that sort of level! Seriously you have brought up a HUGE pet peeve of mine! And what's worse is what you have to go through because of them! Ugh! So maddening!

15. FredC

FredC Guest

It's all very cut and dry and pretty painless. Although I wouldn't count the counterperson giving you a call. I suppose that is up to the individual. The last time I shipped a puppy I was directed to the freight department and did not even deal with any regular ticket people. Like dobs4ever said the process seems a lot more sterile these days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Gretchen_Red

Is it different though because I'm not shipping, she's flying with me?

17. FredC

FredC Guest

That's a good question? I don't know.

18. Oh Little Oji

I wish I'd had a crate with wheels on it. The crate we have now came with wheels. We bought the crate at a WalMart in Wisconsin on our way to pick up the pup before our current one. It's nothing special, so I imagine it's not hard to find a crate with wheels.

If you give Benadryl, I wonder if you should do a trial run with it to make sure she'll do okay with it.

Hmm. What else? I'm trying to think of anything else I can recommend.

19. Gretchen_Red

Why wheels? Just curious

20. Oh Little Oji

I remember at LAX they had an outdoor pet area. It was out by the curb at one end of that particular drop-off area. Knowing if your airports have areas like that would be helpful. Bring bags to pick up.

You probably want to limit food before the trip? Maybe alter your feeding schedule leading up to the trip?

There was some confusion on my trips at some airports as to whether I was allowed to have my Dobe out of his crate so I could walk him around the airport. I had gotten permission but was also told I wasn't allowed to have him out. I was actually surprised I was allowed to have him out walking around, and I got some looks of disapproval from a few people. You could always dress in a security-type outfit and most folks would take you for security. ;)

I have been able to sit in a position on the plane where I could watch cargo being loaded onto the plane. That could backfire, though in that you might think you have seen all the cargo that was loaded, but you didn't see your crate go in even though it did.

Come to think of it, I believe Northwest Airlines had a special service where they have a special van that taxis animals out to the planes. It has something catchy written in big letters on the vehicle. This might be the case for more than just Northwest. I also recall the flight attendant handed me a piece of paper like a little ticket once my Dobe had been loaded on the plane. This was an assurance that the animal had made it aboard. I wouldn't expect this service though.