• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Okay, so... I'm freaking out

Yes, very good idea, Jan!
If they are custom building it...get some vinyl upholstery fabric & some foam (both cut to measure at a local fabric store) , use a staple gun & do-it-yourself. it'll for sure match your decor....AND it'll be affordable.
I reupholster my dining chairs amd used to build custom car interiors using this method & it works out great & is very durable.

Here is a picture of the OLD dog door, So you can kinda see what I'm talking about...

I think we're gunna make the new one this weekend. (Hopefully!!)

From the inside. (When she seems to hit the top the most. Going OUT)
0804091558.jpg

From the outside.
0804091600.jpg

Wow, that's a head banger if ever there was one, Chrissy. I know you don't have a choice with this but, yes, I'd make it way taller and wider, if you get to have any input into the matter. I, also, like th idea of padding it all the way around. I know my two when they get uspet and want out wouldn't make it through your current doggie door with doing some serious physical damage to themselves. I'd think after what you've just been through, your b/f would reconsider using a doggie door at all. Just my opinion. I personally think dobermans are way too independant as it is without giving them the idea that they are in charge by letting them come and go as they please. They need to ask for things like going outside to learn who's the alpha leader. But, you've got to do what you've got to do for your situation I guess. Good luck with your project.:)

I totally agree!! I HATE dog doors. But... My bf and I live with his Dad. And his Dad loves them. The dog door is closed off now, and he's not liking it. He wants it closed to help Ella, but the other dogs (who have had dog doors their whole life), are not ajusting well at all. His Mini Cocker keeps "going potty" in the house. :/ She's 11, and has never had to "ask" how to go outside. ever. She dosn't know what to do, and has almost had an accident once or twice a week since.
Hopefully we'll be moving out soon, but I mean, if we are going to live with him... I'm not going to fight with him to leave it closed.

But if he's willing to help with a new one... I'll take that!

My boyfriend and I live in his Dad's house.
When I met him he already had two dogs, a fat Mini cocker, and a Lab puppy.

Now Ella is in the picture. It was so nice of his dad to open his door for us (Ella and i).. If he loves the concept of a dog door so much, he can keep it... I mean, It's his house... But he has got to change it. He has no prolbem with that. :)

It's a tough situation at times.

Well, your living situation calls for compromise, that's for sure! The 11 year old dog is having too many problems to live without the door so building a bigger one to accommodate both (or all three) dogs is the answer. I tend to agree with what MLR said but like I said, your situation calls for this. Its awfully nice of him to have you living with him with your dog AND to build a 'better' door, so I'd say that's a very nice compromise! ;)

Well, I'm praying and believing that you and your b/f find an affordable place of your own in the foreseeable future. Yes, it sure was nice of his father to take you two in. I agree with that for sure. And, like MyBuddy said, there's compromise in every relationship, but the needless worry you just went through is uppermost on my mind. After what you already went through with your last dog, you didn't need this. I understand completely. OK, enough rambling on my part. Hope the new and improved doggie door is less of a hazzard for Ella. :)

I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to impose when it's someone else's house and his dog is having trouble because of it.

Maybe you could get some sort of padding for Ella, even if it were something like wearing a doggie life jacket or something?

I know what you could do in the mean time chrissy....go to walmart or someplace with pool toys. Get one of those "noodle" toys thats hollow in the center and cut it in half. Measure out a section to fit the length of the doggie door. And glue or tape it so it covers/cups the top frame of the doggie door. Did that make sense? or think of it this way...if you layed a pop can on its side...its hollow in the center...cut it in half...length wise so both halves are hollow. Now put one half against the top of the doggie door ( hollow side cupping the hard edge )

That way shes got about an inch of soft foam against her and the top of the dog door.

Good idea! I have nothing to pad now, because like I said, we're not using one. Hopefully by this weekend, we can make the new one, and see how that goes.

Can't wait until everything gets back to normal! Healthy-happy dogs!

UPDATE:

Took Ella to the vet today, because we ran out of the anti-biotics. The bump looks the same as it did last time I wrote about her. It's super small, but there is still a tiny bump. It's not connected to any mussle, kinda hard. Doesn't hurt her.

THe vet was happy with everything. He hasn't seen her since her lump was baceball sized. He felt it alot... said it might take time. I told him ALLLLL about the dog door situation, and he said... unless someone can prove thats not-what caused this... thats what he thinks it is too. Hitting her shoulders all the time. Said it could take some time for it to go away, and I told him that "no news is good news" . If it comes back or something, .. I'm gunna call him, but otherwise, just wait for it to go away. (and for her hair to grow back.. :( Lol) Just to never open up that dog door. I told him we're making a new one.

So, she's not even on any pills anymore.

I'm thinking it's kind of like.. some kind of callis under there. It's really small though, my bf and I are the only two that can still notice it.

Also, when we were leaving his office, (to head out to the front desk to pay) I had just started to open the door, and a Tech. stopped me right away and was like "MAM.. MAM. I'm going to have to ask you to exit out the back door please." Ella has been going there since the day I got her, and they have never asked me that. I asked why, and she said because they had "a big Rotti out in the waiting room" I said "ha, It's okay.., I can crontrol my dog." But she said for "personal saftey", to use the back door.

idk, I was kind of offended. I'm not sure if they didn't think I could control her, or if they thought ELLA was going to start something (haha).. or what. I guess thats just something that happeneds us, huh? And I never even saw the Rotti. :/

I'm so glad to hear things are going well Chrissy!

Man, that kind of stuff like using the back door because we have "those breeds" pisses me off. :nono:

maybe she wasn't worry that you couldn't controll your dog<maybe it was because they were afraid the Rottie might would do something?don't be offended,its not worth it :)

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but to RedChrissy, was there ever a cause found? My pup (Atlas) got a bump in his back similar to Ella. It's gone up and down in size over the past week. I'm not worried because there has been no change in behavior but just seeing the bump in his back is still cause of concern.

Hello,
I know this is an old thread but to RedChrissy, was there ever a cause found? My pup (Atlas) got a bump in his back similar to Ella. It's gone up and down in size over the past week. I'm not worried because there has been no change in behavior but just seeing the bump in his back is still cause of concern.
How old is he ?

Atlas is 4. As The thread stated, the lump maybe from some form of irritation but before I bring him in to a vet, I wanted know how RedChrissy's situation played out.

I haven't seen her here for a while, but I think her problem was resolved, and if I remember right, it was from the dog door.

Based on past experience, lumps and bumps aren't usually something I fiddle around with. As many here already know, Java had 2 lumps removed when she was about 3yo. They were very small upon first detection...I found them when running my hands over her like I do after a routine nail trim. One on her back, in front of her hips, and another on the skin tuck. They turned out to be cancerous but have not returned after removal. The vet believes this is because of being adamant about them and catching it early.

My rule of thumb is to watch it for a week. If no change for the worse or better, watch it for two weeks. If the bump hasn't resolved on its own by two weeks I have an appt made to see what it is. If it grows or changes appearance in any way during this time, I call that day to make an appt at the earliest I can.

If it is a bug bite or odd bump from being goofy, it should go away on its own. Is it red, scaley, scabby or anything? Does it move freely under the skin? Hard or squishy? Don't poke and prod too much other than an initial assessment. Be sure if/when you do have it checked that they do a fine needle aspirate and possibly a biopsy. A vet cannot and should not 100% diagnose a lump that hasn't gone away as benign without doing this!

Java recently had another lump checked and it turned out to be a fatty tumor that won't cause her any trouble. They are common for older dogs and certain breeds. Not all lumps are bad, fortunately! :) Good luck and keep us updated on Mr. Atlas. Fingers crossed its nothing to worry over.

Back