Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Oji Received a Sneak Bite (not Snake Bite, Ha)

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Oh Little Oji, Nov 5, 2019.

1. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Okay, I'm normally hesitant to take up space on DCF with a thread of my own, but I had a bona fide moderator suggest this I start a thread on this.

I'm pretty sure Oji got bitten by a dog yesterday. How could I not know? Good question.

Lately, Oji and I have been doing more and more of going for exercise bike rides together – exercising him.

We've moved into a different house and it's in a neighborhood that's more advantageous for this type of thing. We live on a short no-outlet street, and it's unique in that one can come and go from the no-outlet end of it on foot or bike. This connects to another no-outlet street and we can make a relatively safe little loop.

That other street has at the end of it an observatory from the 1800s (yes, an observatory). In front of the observatory, the street is a circle. So, yes, I am the crazy new man in the neighborhood who rides around on old antique bikes with his off-leash Doberman running alongside, and we do a bunch of laps around this circle – roound and rouund, then maybe the other direction, and along another street or two.

SearsBike.JPG

SchwinnRacer.JPG

It happens that this observatory's property is essentially a park. I know, awesome, right? Lots of people walk their dogs up our street to that park. It turns out that it seems to be a sort of unofficial off-leash area despite the sign that clearly states leash laws are enforced.

Allright, let's get to it.

Yesterday morning to get Oji a minimum of exercise I was doing some laps around that circle for a little while when I noticed that Oji had fallen behind. Now, he will do this especially when it's hot outside (it's not) and I'm going fast. I look back and vocalize to him to catch up. He does.

The funny thing is, when I looked back at Oji he did happen to be holding one hind leg up as though he was hurt – hopping a few steps. He went ahead and caught up though. He was not limping. As I looked back, I found the reason he had fallen back: There was a loose dog that had approached us behind our backs. It was a sort of Golden Retriever mix. I noticed there was also a second loose dog.

These two dogs were playing in the park and I noticed two older men standing out in the field. That one car that was parked in the circle must have been what they arrived in – a big, new Lexus with custom plate.

The thought did occur to me a moment later that Oji might have been bitten by the dog, but I thought it was unlikely. Later that evening, I was thinking maybe he was actually bitten. It was odd that he was hopping with his leg up like that as he had fallen back. As my wife and I were hanging out and watching a bit of TV, I saw that Oji actually has a couple unexplained little wounds on his right lower leg.

I think that rascal dog sneaked up behind Oji as he dutifully heeled alongside my bike and got a bite in on him!

GBbitesOnRearLeg.JPG

• Empathetic Empathetic x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Rodyboy

Rodyboy Jr Member

It sure looks like a bite to me. We can always trust our dog, we can't trust others.

3. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hmmm....

Wonder what the other guy looks like??

Watch him when you go out again, It happened once, it will happen again.

4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

Hrm, well shoot! Rubie always seems to have a mysterious scrape/cut/bald spot here or there. She and Moo are pretty rough and tumble when they play and one knock on a boney spot of hers with the short hair and it's clear as day. You didn't hear any barking or a scuffle; Oji doesn't seem like the go down quietly type? We'll find little scabs on Moo where I'm certain Rubie has broken skin while they tumble but really, what you show in that picture doesn't look any worse. Why would a strange dog only a little bit bite Oji? To try and entice him into playing? Not that I'm down playing the seriousness if that's what actually happened! But it doesn't look like that dog went after to maim. Weird...

Is this on the bicycle side of his leg or the outside?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Oh Little Oji

I am thinking the dog ran silently up behind us and nipped its prey. I think Oji was a short distance behind me, not right next to me. That's his right leg, so it was technically the bike side – to answer your question.

Totally, Oji gets mystery scrapes and wounds often. I know it's not for sure that he got bit, but it seemed more like it the more I thought about it. Did you see both little wounds there? Not that I think those look like two canine marks, but just wondering if you saw both.

The fact that he was holding that right hind leg up when I looked back and he had fallen back is key for me.

I think what made Oji not confront the dog and instead just sort of remain neutral is that he respects the e-collar so much. Yes, I have that on him just about every time we do bike rides. Without it, he not only is worse about forging ahead; but more importantly, he would go after any animal he detected. My main focus, and what we have struggled with most, is getting him not to run off after squirrels, deer, cats, other dogs and what not. So he knows I am at the ready with the zapper should he try it. This put him in a weird position where he was caught between stopping and confronting the dog and keeping next to me and ignoring the dog. He looked quite awkward when I looked back and saw him.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciation Appreciation x 1
  6. LifeofRubie

Well, if that is what happened, he made the right choice. That stuff can turn ugly quickly so good boy, Oji!

7. Oh Little Oji

Actually, I wish he had chosen this instance to disobey orders. I always let him turn, stand and defend himself when a strange dog comes up to him. If I had looked back and seen him with a dog in his face, or even just approaching him and within close range of him to where a meeting was imminent, of course I would not have zapped him!!

8. LifeofRubie

nah, you don't want that reputation in your new neighborhood :thumbsup2:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

I hear ya'. I don't want Oji to put a beating on anyone's dog; however I put him in a dangerous situation by taking away some of his ability to defend himself.

There's the tale I tell about my first Dobe where I went against advisable technique and I grabbed my boy by the collar when in a scrap with another dog. I did this because Magnum was winning and I felt sorry for the other dog. That dog would then run around and bite at Mag's backside each time I'd grab the collar. My boy needed stitches back there because I repeatedly took away his ability to defend himself.

10. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

An out of control golden retriever huh. Not surprising.

Looks like a bite mark at the bottom. But is it possible he could have skidded on the pavement? Maybe slipping around the bend hence the scrapes and that would explain why he was so far behind you too. I have trouble imagining a dog trying to bite a fast running dog in the leg and not more severely damaging the leg from the force alone.

11. Oh Little Oji

You may be right; however not all dog bites are very hard or effective.

12. Oh Little Oji

And yeah. :rolleyes:

13. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Plus there’s only one tooth mark which could be road rash from skidding. The scratches are way higher up. The dogs mouth couldn’t be that big.

14. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That does look like a bite to me and it makes sense that he was respecting the e-collar so you didn't hear any sound from him. I hope it doesn't turn into a continuous problem for you in your new neighborhood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's too bad. I wouldn't feel too good about someone's dog coming up from behind and nipping my dog!! :tap: Maybe you need some side mirrors on that bike! :)

• Like Like x 2