Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

OH MY WORD!!!!! The jumping! Help!

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Izzy’s Mom, Aug 12, 2019.

1. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

Izzy will not quit jumping! Jumps on us in the house when we take her outside, it’s all the time! She’ll be walking along just fine then it’s like she becomes obsessed! Jumps up and grabs my shorts! Almost took my pajama bottom down the other night! :shock: I’ve gotten her to pretty much stop biting me, have to correct her occasionally but this jumping! I truly don’t know what to do! My hubby looked at me and said e collar but I truly don’t want to do that.
    Any and all suggestions will truly be appreciated. :biggrin:

2. crypticintent

crypticintent Hot Topics Subscriber

Cross arms and turn back to the puppy. Every single time. No acknowledgement when jumping.

3. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Give her the knee. Lift up your knee towards your chest. They can’t get to you and it blocks them. My Shadow gets very excited and can get springgy. Knee always works.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Panama

Panama Hot Topics Subscriber

Hook a 4-6 foot leash to her collar, let her walk around the house & yard dragging behind her. When she jumps, "OFF" or "No Jump" and step on the leash.

• Like Like x 1
  5. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

This may work for some but for me, I don't like to do anything that makes me look like the weaker one. Turning away from them, to me, is like giving them the 'win.' What do you do when they continue to jump all over you? I would rather walk INTO them, while giving the command, OFF! Stepping on the leash works with a command is great too. Never back up.

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

I’ve tried turning my back on her but she just continues to jump at my back, biting my clothes! And I’ve tried giving her the knee but she bounces right back up and I believe she thinks it’s a game. I’ve not tried walking into her. I’ll give that a try and stepping on the leash. It’s exhausting!
    Thank you everyone!

• Like Like x 2
  7. MyBuddy

Yea, to turn my back just makes me defenseless if, like you, they continue to claw and bite at my back! Give the leash and walking into her a try and let us know how it works. Just remember the look on your mothers face when you and I were teenagers (I'm 66 too. ;) ) and we came home late! :tap: Walk into her with that face and that same authority. ;) It's not really anger you want to portray but more of I AM PACK LEADER and YOU will NOT jump on me!!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Raise your knee to her. Timing is crucial, though. The idea is that when she jumps up she will encounter your knee and find it uncomfortable.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Glad to hear some good ol' common sense (the knee!)

Yes, if your Dobe is particularly spirited, they may require you to hone your skills with the knees. I know Oji is very very paw-oriented (my term for loving to put his paws on things/people and actually grab things with his legs. So he would often welcome my incoming knee with a hug. Then, he may feel in a somewhat humpy way given he is now embracing my leg. :facepalm:

So, if you are physically capable, you will be able to gain skills and speed with the knees (while not causing harm to your beloved buddy of course).

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

Thank you. I must not be doing it right. :( I’ve been doing the knee and she’s taken several spills to the ground, some where I’m thinking oh damn, but she bounces right back up and comes jumping again. Like it’s a game! Stubborn little shit! She’s fine first thing in the morning. We take our walk around the property. We live way out in the country and I take a different little walk every morning and she’s happy as can be exploring everything. But toward the end of the walk she decides it’s time to sneak attack Mom from behind and the from the front too. This morning I just stopped and crossed my arms and stared at her saying OFF and it seemed a bit better. It’s got to get better! I can’t have a grown Dobie jumping on us and others. She’s really a good girl otherwise! Oh except she’s started taking to putting her paw on her food bowl trying to tip it over and that doesn’t work so she puts her paw in and flips some food out! :banghead: Child of mine!!! I’ve stood right there and when I see her going for it I take that paw and tell her no while giving that paw a gentle swat. Seems to be working so far!

• Wow x 1
  11. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

12CEF194-2A52-4960-9B7B-F63A7ABFDC50.jpeg

I know you said you take a walk around but is there also some engagement during the walk? Ball throwing? Tugging etc? Seems to me she wants to play?

Also with the food bowls we have one of these for each dog. It’s awesome. Shadow as a puppy would love to play in her water and flip the water bowls over. These are study and they can’t flip bowls out. I keep a hand towel underneath each one and mop up the dribbles.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

Thank you! She is so busy first thing on our walks just checking everything out but yes I hadn’t thought that towards the end she’s probably wanting to play. I’ll take a ball or rope on next walk.
    I like those bowls but I’ve read that raised bowls for Dobies are not good. :confused::neutral:

13. MyBuddy

That could be too. Maybe bring a ball with you and as you walk through it. I've done that even walking on my own property here.

I agree. I have a friend who has two Labs and one of them will jump up on you when your being animated. Or dancing. She did it to me while I was suddenly breaking out into a dance LOL she jumped up and grabbed my ponytail! :eek: I was really taken by surprise. Even more so when the owner didn't do a thing! They just kind of shrugged their shoulders and said, she does that. I said, one day she'll do it to somebody and knock them down and hurt them. I don't think they really knew what to do about it but it was really dangerous. Not just jumping on you but grabbing at your hair or clothing! My God. That would be a freaking no no with me! :tap:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. I know those bowls are too high up but for anyone with raised food bowls be careful cause it has shown to be higher risk for dogs to develop bloat when using them

• Like Like x 1
  15. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

Well I’ve taken toys on walks and it works but then she suddenly decides it’s time to jump! Both from behind and coming at me. :( I’ve given her the knee saying OFF then stood perfectly still with arms crossed giving her the evil stare :tap: and she comes at me goes into a play bow barking at me! :shock: She’s a stubborn little shit! :banghead: :pullhair:

16. My2Dobies

My2Dobies Hot Topics Subscriber

We went through a couple of months of Lexi jumping up on us. The knee, along with very strong and gruff NO and immediately stopping whatever play we were doing (if we were playing) has finally gotten through. It’s usually only when she’s really excited (like after that first morning poop, when she is just celebrating life!). Now at 11 months, she still jumps some, but rarely makes contact as she jumps right beside me. She knows she’s not supposed to jump ON us, but it is like she just can’t contain her excitement for those first couple of minutes, so she jumps BESIDE us. It’s pretty funny, and I’m glad she now knows not to make actual contact, but it’s still hard not to cringe because now she’s a lot bigger, stronger and faster. I’m still disciplining her verbally for the jumping, so it’s still a work in progress and mostly just her puppy-excitement. The point is, they are smart and want to do the right thing (eventually, as they mature), so hang in there and stay the course. It will pay off soon.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Izzy’s Mom

Izzy’s Mom Jr Member

Thank you so much for sharing that and giving me that encouragement! I know she’s smart so I’m hoping by being repetitive she will finally get it!!! She’s such a sweet girl! She’s been sleeping through the night for about a week now!!:thumbsup: I’m afraid to say this but we’ve had no accidents in the house for several days!!! :yatta: She walking on the leash better and better everyday! Knows SIT and DOWN very well! Working on COME now and she ignores me and the treats about half the time! To me COME is probably the most important command! She’s only 3 months and almost 2 weeks so sometimes I think I may be expecting too much but I’ll keep plugging along!! :ty:

• Like Like x 1
  18. MyBuddy

Think how repetitive we have to be with children. It's the same thing. ;) You tell them over and over and over... And over again. They finally get it. It takes a while. ;)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Oh Little Oji

Oh Little Oji Formerly Tad Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Yes, mine have always gotten it with a little time and consistency. When excited, they will jump up, but keep the paws folded back and make no contact besides maybe a very light brush with their snout. It actually feels good to see them demonstrably making the effort to obey.

Must admit though that with my special guy Oji here, I have pretty much lost the war over jumping on non family members. I have to either be very firm with him, which is quite intolerable for the general public, and kills the moment of friendly interaction with people; or I can have him on a sit-stay to meet people – and he may break that, which requires a firm correction. So, once again, Oji wins.

But Oji is, um, special.

• Funny Funny x 1