NVK Dog training collar

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
Some of you may remember that a while back I was looking for another E collar for Kali. I have the dogtra IQ Plus. I've had it for a number of years and even sent it back to get a new battery put in at one point. Now it's finally dead again. Rather than going with another replacement battery I considered another dogtra that was newly out for tiny dogs. It was the IQ mini. And it was $180. I've been watching it and waiting for it to go on sale and never saw it any cheaper. I kept hesitating in my purchase and the other day I thought I would look at some again.

Well, in my search I saw one listed for $29! I laughed and kept on searching. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to go back to that one and look at it again. It seemed to have everything that I would need and for $29 I thought it was worth the risk. So I bought it. :D

It's really not bad! I have to say right now the only thing I'm not crazy about is how large the controller is. It's about double the size of the dogtra IQ. So it feels big in my hand. But one of the features I like is a slide control on the side were you can lock the buttons. That's a big plus because the buttons seem easily pressed and I didn't want to accidentally do anything! So once you turn both the collar and the controller on, you can slide this lock in place and everything is silent. The buttons don't work if they're pressed accidentally.

Dogtra IQ on left...NVK on right
20200928_122708.jpg

20200928_122725.jpg
The range is 1600 feet which for me is fine!

There are two different size contact points supplied. I can't remember if the dogtra had that too. If it did, I'm sure I was using the smallest of the two. But the contact points on this new one is even smaller. I like that on Kali’s small neck.

The receiver looks larger but it's thinner and seems to be lighter than the dogtra IQ.

I also like the buckle better. I was able to adjust it to the size I want and then all you have to do is clip it around her neck. The other one is a belt buckle type and sometimes if someone else puts it on her, I'm afraid they'll put it on too tight. She's a little dog with a tiny neck and she really doesn't need it on tight. I know for a larger dog you need that contact. But she doesn't. I have very seldom used the static button. Most of the time it's just vibration. And she can feel that without the collar being on tight.

And the interesting thing is, with this one, there is also a tone! I've never had that but knowing Kali, I had a feeling she would react well with that and she does! She's very reactive to the vibration and I knew that tone would come in handy too! And it did. She heard that tone and she came running to me!:biggrin:

I started her out with an e-collar years ago, once she knew all her commands. The e-collar was mainly a precaution to 'reach out and touch her' in an emergency situation or wild animal. A way to get her back to me quickly. She trained on the e-collar very well and after a while she never needed anything but a vibration. So the tone and vibration on this one will probably be all I'll ever need.

So all in all, I think this cheap little model is going to work out great! :thumbsup:

Oh Little Oji

Formerly Tad
Hot Topics Subscriber
$ Forum Donor $
Thank you. Hopefully we can hear good news over the coming years of how this unit holds up.

I'm adamant now that I don't want a transmitter any larger than what I've got (Sport Dog, older model). My transmitter is similar in design, and probably size, to your old Dogtra. I like to conceal it mostly in my hand and hide the fact I need an e-collar to get Oji to obey with crispness and to not run off after animals.

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
I'm adamant now that I don't want a transmitter any larger than what I've got (Sport Dog, older model). My transmitter is similar in design, and probably size, to your old Dogtra. I like to conceal it mostly in my hand and hide the fact I need an e-collar to get Oji to obey with crispness and to not run off after animals.
I agree. The large, bulky size is not something I like either. And I'm sure I'll get used to the buttons like I did with the other one. (Almost like braille ;) ) But so far, it's more than adequate for the price!

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Interesting and I agree that it will be nice to see how it holds up after time. My guess is that the battery would be the first to go and be somewhat expensive to replace. Maybe not, but it just seems like there has to be a catch to the low price somewhere.

R

Rosa

Some of you may remember that a while back I was looking for another E collar for Kali. I have the dogtra IQ Plus. I've had it for a number of years and even sent it back to get a new battery put in at one point. Now it's finally dead again. Rather than going with another replacement battery I considered another dogtra that was newly out for tiny dogs. It was the IQ mini. And it was $180. I've been watching it and waiting for it to go on sale and never saw it any cheaper. I kept hesitating in my purchase and the other day I thought I would look at some again.

Well, in my search I saw one listed for $29! I laughed and kept on searching. But curiosity got the best of me and I decided to go back to that one and look at it again. It seemed to have everything that I would need and for $29 I thought it was worth the risk. So I bought it. :D

It's really not bad! I have to say right now the only thing I'm not crazy about is how large the controller is. It's about double the size of the dogtra IQ. So it feels big in my hand. But one of the features I like is a slide control on the side were you can lock the buttons. That's a big plus because the buttons seem easily pressed and I didn't want to accidentally do anything! So once you turn both the collar and the controller on, you can slide this lock in place and everything is silent. The buttons don't work if they're pressed accidentally.

Dogtra IQ on left...NVK on right
View attachment 112367

View attachment 112368
The range is 1600 feet which for me is fine!

There are two different size contact points supplied. I can't remember if the dogtra had that too. If it did, I'm sure I was using the smallest of the two. But the contact points on this new one is even smaller. I like that on Kali’s small neck.

The receiver looks larger but it's thinner and seems to be lighter than the dogtra IQ.

I also like the buckle better. I was able to adjust it to the size I want and then all you have to do is clip it around her neck. The other one is a belt buckle type and sometimes if someone else puts it on her, I'm afraid they'll put it on too tight. She's a little dog with a tiny neck and she really doesn't need it on tight. I know for a larger dog you need that contact. But she doesn't. I have very seldom used the static button. Most of the time it's just vibration. And she can feel that without the collar being on tight.

And the interesting thing is, with this one, there is also a tone! I've never had that but knowing Kali, I had a feeling she would react well with that and she does! She's very reactive to the vibration and I knew that tone would come in handy too! And it did. She heard that tone and she came running to me!:biggrin:

I started her out with an e-collar years ago, once she knew all her commands. The e-collar was mainly a precaution to 'reach out and touch her' in an emergency situation or wild animal. A way to get her back to me quickly. She trained on the e-collar very well and after a while she never needed anything but a vibration. So the tone and vibration on this one will probably be all I'll ever need.

So all in all, I think this cheap little model is going to work out great! :thumbsup:
How does the E-collar work? I have seen if before, but was not sure how it worked. Maybe I can use that with our newest puppy(a GSD). I think she would really respond to what you described.

MyBuddy

Hot Topics Subscriber
How does the E-collar work? I have seen if before, but was not sure how it worked. Maybe I can use that with our newest puppy(a GSD). I think she would really respond to what you described.
There are lots of e-collar threads on here. You might find a few more in the Training Forums. This one may or may not be good for a GSD.

For my little dog, Kali, it's worked out quite well. She's only 12 lbs. and you can see her in my Avatar. It seems like the battery lasts forever, for one. I like being able to snap the collar on instead of always having to do a belt buckle type. That way I know that the collar will fit the same all the time. Even if someone else puts it on her.

Kali is very responsive to the Tone button. I don't know if I've ever used the Stim on her yet. She's collar wise and will usually stick close to me with it on, so there's barely a time that I need to use it.

I still don't like how large the control is or how easy it is to accidentally press the button. I usually walk around with it off for that very reason. Only when I feel I might need it do I turn it on. This one really works out well for Kali, but I think for a larger dog, especially with a lot of fur, the dogtra would probably be better. Just my opinion. :)

R

Rosa

Okay thanks. I actually looked for one on Amazon and found some that I think my work. Convincing my parents may be something else altogether though.

jazzies mum

Hot Topics Subscriber
Okay thanks. I actually looked for one on Amazon and found some that I think my work. Convincing my parents may be something else altogether though.
Just a word of caution from someone who found out the hard way. I bought a cheaper e collar and found it was totally inadequate, lacking the range to reach a running Doberman and not having enough choice of stim level. Also the type of stim was different. More like an electric fence where the better quality ones are like an electric impulse not a shock. Buying from Amazon is ok providing you find one of the better brands and make sure it is up to the job. I use Dogtra arc and have had it for over 2 years with no problems and it is about mid range in price. Still not cheap!

R

Rosa

Just a word of caution from someone who found out the hard way. I bought a cheaper e collar and found it was totally inadequate, lacking the range to reach a running Doberman and not having enough choice of stim level. Also the type of stim was different. More like an electric fence where the better quality ones are like an electric impulse not a shock. Buying from Amazon is ok providing you find one of the better brands and make sure it is up to the job. I use Dogtra arc and have had it for over 2 years with no problems and it is about mid range in price. Still not cheap!
Thanks, but because I live overseas, my only good choices for buying things are basically Walmarts or Amazon. I understand totally about buying a better quality one, although our dogs don't leave our yard. There are too many issues in the neighborhood to handle it. We have a very large yard(divided). I don't expect the dog to ever be able to get away from me. Again, thanks! I will definitely look into it, and may send specifics later on for advice.

Rits

Admin
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Thanks, but because I live overseas, my only good choices for buying things are basically Walmarts or Amazon.

You can buy most of the good brands on Amazon! Dogtra, ecollar tech etc.