1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

NRG Dog Food

Discussion in 'Doberman Nutritional Care' started by AxelRose, Mar 5, 2019.

1. AxelRose

AxelRose Well-Known Member

Hello all. Hope you are well. I haven’t been on this site in a long time. Owner of Axl for anyone who remembers us. . He will be 9 years old this month. He has managed to survive his arduous journey of food mayhem. My boy is full of tumors unfortunately. None in his way of leading normal life but they r there. Actually both him and my min. Poodle developed them in the same places while eating Acana. So in October 2018 I switched them to NRG Optimum and Original. Some of them shrunk, but the bigger ones on the dobe are still there. I thought they were shrinking but what was happening was Axl was losing all his body fat since eating NRG dog food. Grrrr!

He is doing ok shedding wise, hardly at all. For winter time, thats a good thing.
    But the poops! Omg he poops everything he ate. It’s ridiculous. Tips of his nails break a lot. Never used to. They both love the food. The poodle started wanting to eat her stool every day but I started adding Solid gold supplement and she is good now.

Anyone feeding this and how are your dogs doing on it?

2. AxelRose

So is anyone feeding #NRG dehydrated Dog food? Anyone ordering online? I’ve noticed that they are advertising their food with a certain protein, fat content but shipping something a little different. Also ingredients list is a little different as well.

3. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Congrats on Axle turning 9yrs old.
    Dobes especially are prone to Lipomas (Fatty Tumors). Where the body is not processing fats and not getting rid of them. Now getting rid of Lipomas is tough other than surgery. But the can come back.
    We also have a 9yr old who has multiple Lipomas. And we feed a Raw Diet.

I would try adding in an Enzyme and a Pre Probiotic and Probiotic.

6C5170B8-13A3-4973-A054-D41038F56CD5.jpeg
    19B455F7-B78F-4D75-A890-ADE4C876EB83.jpeg
    6089675F-3361-4624-AAD2-04C7C273ACD9.jpeg

This one has both Perbiotic and Probiotic.
    230E877A-9858-4DA8-BB13-54498A3D05CD.jpeg

Have never fed NRG.
    I would call the manufacturer and ask these questions. Or the online retailer your buying it from has not changed their site.
    It could be just a change from prior food that was made, from a new ingredient.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

I never heard of this food but it has a great rating:

NRG The Raw One Dog Food | Review | Rating | Recalls

The ingredients seem pretty good too, but the poop situation is worrying to me. Probiotics can definitely help!

Just a few ideas to think on: Are you feeding the chicken formula, if so, chicken is considered by some to be a low quality protein due to how chickens are raised. It is thought to contribute to inflammation. It says they are free range, so maybe that’s ok, but I still don't feed chicken.

Squash and pumpkin might be the source of the loose stools too. All that fiber absorbs water. I personally don’t like the carrot and pineapple due to the sugar content.

Not sure of the relationship of any of these ingredients to lipomas though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. AxelRose

Thank you for the info. Unfortunately Axl had acute Leukaemia, stage 5 lymphoma. He is gone .