Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

[Nova Scotia] veterinarians ban tail docking

Discussion in 'Canine News/Informative Articles' started by FredC, Mar 29, 2012.

1. FredC

FredC Guest

[​IMG]
    Veterinarians in Nova Scotia will no longer cut the tails and
    ears of dogs for cosmetic reasons, prompting an outcry from
    some breeders.
    Tail docking is popular for certain breeds like Doberman pinschers.(CBC)The Nova Scotia Veterinary Medical Association is forbidding its members from doing surgeries that alter an animal’s appearance solely for cosmetic purposes.

Spinelli said a Doberman’s tail is removed when the animal is about two days old, while the ears are cropped at eight weeks.

She finds it hypocritical that the veterinary association is still allowing the declawing of cats.
    “They have no qualms whatsoever about declawing cats, which is a far more invasive procedure done when the cat is significantly older,” she said.

The new rules go into effect on April 1, though they won’t be enforced until October. Similar bans on cosmetic surgeries are already in place in New Brunswick, Prince Edward Island and Newfoundland and Labrador.

Spinelli, a registered breeder with the Canadian Kennel Club, won’t crop the tails of her dogs herself. She said the procedure should only be done under safe and clean conditions, like with veterinarians.

Another Doberman owner, Lendra Barker, fears that some owners will do whatever it takes to get their dogs to conform to a certain look.

“The people who own these dogs want them performed and without a vet to be permitted to perform these procedures, where is it going to go? Some people that aren’t reputable may end up doing it themselves without the benefit of anesthesia or sanitary conditions,” said Barker, a past-president of the Doberman Pinscher Club of Canada.

Non-veterinarians who attempt the surgeries on their own could be charged under Nova Scotia’s Animal Protection Act.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/nova-scoti...narians-cosmetic-surgeries.html#ixzz0jDRmCT5B

• Like Like x 4
  2. Marinegeekswife

Marinegeekswife Hot Topics Subscriber

Exactly my fear with these laws and regulations. Notice they say vets can't they don't say the practice is illegal. Even if it was fully outlawed some people would find a way, even one that puts the dog at risk. The point about the cat declaw is a good one and something I hadn't thought of. Why is that so much more acceptable than tail docking? It should at least be on par with ear cropping.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dobs4ever

Dobs4ever Hot Topics Subscriber

While I have no problem docking a tail and dews I want my vet to crop the ears for the safety fo the puppy. BREEDERS must stand up and fight for our breed. It is a cropped and docked breed and I personally am ALL for opening up certified Ear cropping parlors where some of the top trained ear croppers have been working on their own for years without the asstance of vets. We don't need them if the person is certified for mine surgery and how to administer drugs.

I have never lost a puppy cropped this way. I have lost 3 cropped by VETS. I say send the vets a BIG message - WE DON"T NEED YOU. WE have tatoo parlors, midwives and we have very experienced well trained ear croppers who do absolutely beautiful jobs. A Doberman looses all its presence when it resembles a hound breed as opposed to the dog it was meant to be.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Max Hawk

Max Hawk Hot Topics Subscriber

Well ya know politically correct is the fashion so there ya go! We all have to suffer now because of a few ignorant people who have never in their life had anything whatsoever to do with docking or cropping! I love the breed enough to have them either way...but I like having the choice! We probably will eventually lose the battle on this. Funny if they would just relax and let things ride we probably wouldn't crop much anymore just because it's becoming so expensive geez! :confused:

• Like Like x 2
  5. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

There's that slippery slope again.Seems once someone starts to slide everyone else starts to slip also.