Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

Nosework jobs?

Discussion in 'Doberman Talk and Discussions' started by Brioddy, May 12, 2017.

1. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

I was wondering if anyone here has or does some kind of nosework job with their dogs? I was thinking something like SAR or tracking wounded game? Brinks enjoys using his nose and I am not particularly interested in titling, but I would love to give him a job and possibly help people in the process. I haven't done anything formal but I play games with him where I hold what I call "treasure hunts" I hide a bunch of treats in hidden spots, and also another game where I show him an item (usually a toy, bone or treat) go hide it and he sits and waits til I tell him to find it. He's very good at it and is so proud of himself when he finds whatever he is looking for. I make sure I use different hiding spots because he is smart enough to look in areas where he's found things previously, even if just once. During the treasure hunts my poor old pit just can't keep up I have to help and point some out or she won't get any hehe.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

I don't.
    Saw a few interesting videos of dogs searching for Truffles.
    If I lived in the UK or PNW I'd be all over it.
    Truffles are a very lucrative market.
    Bloomberg reports the top truffle dealer in NYC makes $25k a day.:woot2:

• Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  3. Medikay9

Medikay9 Notable member

My guy does Human Remains Detection....

• Like Like x 1
  4. Regalis

Regalis Member

Nope, but I'm considering it with Kaizer. He likes to search things out.

That said, I know several hunters who use tracking dogs and are super grateful for the people who train and own them. Buddy of mine just had a dog out to track a turkey his GF shot :) by a dachshund! The same dog has tracked some deer for his as well. Cool little pup.

• I was wondering about that too! I was wondering about that too! x 1
  5. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

My son has taught GIgi to find Morels. Not truffles, but hey, you have to work with what you have.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Regalis

Regalis Member

Smart, kid ;) morels go for a pretty penny.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Our trainer did some beginning nose work with Della but I can't remember what she said or did anymore.

Oh wow, what kind of training did that take?

Oh we should try to teach our dogs that since we have quite a few around here, but they can be hard to find. My luck Albert would find them and lift his leg on them. :D

• Funny Funny x 3
  8. GennyB

They do indeed. He lives at the perfect place too, they make a haul.

9. Gelcoater

Gelcoater Expert ThreadCrapper $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber

Is it dead Elm tree they like to grow under? Elm or Eucalyptus? Something like that.

10. GennyB

Elm, also old apple trees and a few others that I don't remember. They also like creek banks and burned areas. There's more and I could probably tell if I was into it line my son. I do know this year was the longest season in record for us because we started getting warm weather in February.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I've thought it would be cool to have a private/civilian drug sniffing dog available for hire to worried parents. Just the existence of such a service might make teens come clean to their parents.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Brioddy

Brioddy Notable member

Great replies, I'd love to be able to teach him to track deer but where I live it's not very... hunting oriented. But we do have forests where I could train, it's just the matter of getting the remains itself to train with. There's a SAR group that trains at a park local to me (walking distance local!) and I'd like to check it out but Brinks is not the best with certain dogs. I'd love to see photos of people's Dobes working :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ingrid H

Ingrid H Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

If you can't track deer, you can always hunt their shed antlers. People do that here in Maine- hunt deer and moose antlers with dogs... A nice matched pair of moose antler sheds can be worth some money too.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. WiglWerm

WiglWerm Hot Topics Subscriber

My training club has nose work classes, considering sending Ruby through. She is VERY nosey, lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Archer

Archer Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I title in nosework through NACSW. All of my Dobermans train in NW and enjoy it

Picture of Faith sourcing an indoor hide (under the chair). Sorry I don't have more pics. Hands are rather busy during class practices and trials
    IMG_0777.JPG

• Like Like x 3
  16. salisa826

salisa826 Hot Topics Subscriber

We just titled in Nosework 1 on birch. He takes classes and can also find anise and clove. One of our trainers had dogs trained in finding bed bugs.

17. Medikay9

Medikay9 Notable member

JanS reply: its difficult to train for Human Remains in PA now. They have made it illegal to obtain the materials needed to train. Fortunately, I did find a source of scent materials to use. These dogs are trained the same way as any search dog....my last dog was a live - find dog, and he learned the same way. You make it a fun game for them- if it isn't fun, they won't work. I started out by having them "find" treats thrown in front of them on walks. They were still pups at that point. Introducing what scent they are using comes a bit later. Dobes are amazingly good at nosework: very accurate and they have a great work ethic to boot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. MeadowCat

MeadowCat Active Member

We also train in NACSW - Richter has five titles in that organization. Sypha takes her ORTs this weekend.

Medikay9 - thank you for what you do. HRD has always fascinated me. I love scentwork and have seriously considered trying to train in that, but I know that *I* don't have what it takes on the human end of the team. My 17 month old bitch probably does - she really, really loves scentwork and is probably going to end up competing at high levels, but I just don't have it :)

To the OP - I actually recently saw an ad locally for a bedbug detecting job. It was for a dog handler/trainer for a local company, but you did have to use their canine (live with, train, etc.). I also am not certain I'd want to train in bedbug detection...my understanding is that live bedbugs are used.

• Like Like x 3
  19. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

Oh gosh I don't think I'd want to either. Just think how easily you could pick up a couple on your clothes or whatever, then bring it back into your own home. :wtf3:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. MeadowCat

MeadowCat Active Member

Exactly!

• Agree Agree x 1