• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

Nose Work at Home

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
This is only about the 5th or 6th time we've played this game and now Asha is in total "work" mode. There are 4 little piles of kibble "hidden" but accessible. She has learned to ignore the scent of where it has been and only go to the source of odor where the little pile is. Video taken yesterday, today she turns 7 months old.

Sorry about the video, the first 25 seconds nothing happens because I've gone to get the dog.

She did a good job!

I love making Kaiser sniff out treats around the house. Sometimes I use things with very weak scent so he really has to work hard at it. Timed to the end of the day, it really knocks him out haha.

Good work, Asha! We’ve got to keep their little minds busy during this difficult time. We’re ramping up the enrichment, too.

Adding these for info on doing this kind of stuff for mental work at home. @Kbailey34 - If you want to compete, I'd advise a teacher, as some of the things I do would need some correction especially on handlers end to stop bad habits before they start. But all in all you can see the intensity that nose work has on Asha's brain!

Still at 7 months, this one was actually a bit hard, I had empty boxes scattered but put the treat on the wood stove ledge. Scent is complicated and the air flow probably made the odor crawl up & along the wall. I was almost ready to call her off (say all done & treat her as we leave the room - don't let them get to the point of frustration) but she was still searching with pretty good attitude but not as enthusiastic as the first minute.

Adding difficulty in access, just 2 hides here, shows she is non-reactive to noise & clatter. Asha 8 months old:

This was the 2nd time we'd ever worked outside. Still at 8 months old, still using food only.

I didn't keep up with videos, but we eventually paired food with NACSW odors: Birch, Anise & Clove, then removed the food so she was alerting on odor to get her treat. I was getting ahead of myself & not wanting to make mistakes that would be hard to undo, in case I ever decided to trial in NW, so I pretty much stopped & went back to just simple hides for fun & brain work. It really is all about the dog and having fun.

Adding these for info on doing this kind of stuff for mental work at home. @Kbailey34 - If you want to compete, I'd advise a teacher, as some of the things I do would need some correction especially on handlers end to stop bad habits before they start. But all in all you can see the intensity that nose work has on Asha's brain!

Still at 7 months, this one was actually a bit hard, I had empty boxes scattered but put the treat on the wood stove ledge. Scent is complicated and the air flow probably made the odor crawl up & along the wall. I was almost ready to call her off (say all done & treat her as we leave the room - don't let them get to the point of frustration) but she was still searching with pretty good attitude but not as enthusiastic as the first minute.

Adding difficulty in access, just 2 hides here, shows she is non-reactive to noise & clatter. Asha 8 months old:

This was the 2nd time we'd ever worked outside. Still at 8 months old, still using food only.

I didn't keep up with videos, but we eventually paired food with NACSW odors: Birch, Anise & Clove, then removed the food so she was alerting on odor to get her treat. I was getting ahead of myself & not wanting to make mistakes that would be hard to undo, in case I ever decided to trial in NW, so I pretty much stopped & went back to just simple hides for fun & brain work. It really is all about the dog and having fun.
Very cool! Can't wait to get started. Asha looks amazing, btw

Back