• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

North Texas breeders

It's always good to know your limitations. And I believe God will help guide you through this process. I really wasn't trying to tell you what to do; just trying to save you some grief by relaying some of my experiences. You might get lucky, like I said, but more often than not dobes from less than good breedings come with a lot of baggage. These are highly intelligent dogs. If they're not bred right,the parents health tested, and temperament tested, you never know what your getting into until it's too late. You want to see a well socialized set of dobe parents who look and act good when you look for a breeder. If they don't know what they're doing when they make a mix you could end up with all kinds of problems. One of them is VonWildbrands Disease; a bleeding disorder that dobes and sheppards are prone to pass on. That's just for starters. There's hip displasia, and cardio myopathy and a whole host of other inherited problems you have to watch out for. There's also the fact that unsocialized dobes are often times not cared for very well either. This means that they don't get the proper nutrition before, during and after the whelping process. This goes for the males, too. These are big animals and need lots of food to keep them healthy. If they don't get the proper nourishment there's a good chance their off spring won't be healthy either. I am not a breeder, myself. I just happened to buy two dobes that I love very much who both have inherited health issues and/or temperament problems because their breeders didn't really know what they were doing. That's not to say you wouldn't be happy with a less perfect dobe either. I just wanted you to know it won't be cheap raising one.

It's no secret that I am a college student getting married. Now, either one of those alone usually means "you don't have a lot of money"...but I will have both of those. I'm not going to have the money to buy a $1000 puppy. I won't even have the money to buy a $500 puppy. I'm a man of faith, and I know that if it is God's intention for me to have a puppy, he'll make it so that I have one...either by someone offering the puppy cheap/free, or other means. (Yes, I do believe that God cares about whether I have a dog, incase you were wondering).

In the mean time, I'm looking for a Chihuahua. Logically there is a lot higher chance I can get a free/cheap Chihuahua either through breeding my parents Chi, or a friend in my hometown. I really appreciate all the help, but a "reputable breeder" isn't an option for me right now...unless they just have a huge wave of generosity come over them.

EDIT: I know someone is going to say "Don't settle for a dog you don't want"...I wont be. I DO want a chihuahua, I love them and I have two that belong to my parents. I've been a chihuahua person for many years.

Try searching on Petfinder.com,it doesn't hurt to look unless you're completely against rescuing,a rescued dobe will be in your price range,one from a pound or shelter even less $$ and a good moral choice! Breeding your parents Chi will produce more dogs when there's already so many being destroyed every day,especially if you don't have a home lined up for every pup and I'm sure the total cost of responsibly breeding a litter will be much,much more than your budget.I'm not critisizing you,just something to consider.Chi's are one of the current "fad"dogs,so many are being given up and are available in shelters and rescues if that's the breed you are also considering.

Thanks MLR, I understand no one is telling me what to do. That post was just to maybe save some folks their time replying when it isn't likely that I'll be able to use their thoughtful advice on which breeders they know in TX. Also, you forgot Wobblers. I guess I just haven't done a good enough job letting you all know my experience and knowledge about dobermans. I've been researching them for about a year; everything from health issues to movies/TV roles to finding people who have them.

One of the chief characteristics that made me want a doberman in the first place is their "velcro" quality, they always walk right up next to you (given you're a good owner). Second, I wanted a big dog with mannerisms like my Chihuahua back home (which is different than most Chi's), and third I wanted a dog that would protect my fiancée when she is home alone or out for a run.

But the more I have considered it, the more I think that [even if I had the money] a 1 bedroom apartment with no yard run in just isn't the place for a doberman, and I'd probably have a lot more fun with a chihuahua at this point in my life.

Temperament is very important. I always want to see the parents of the pup and check
them out as well. Do research, pups are so cute they all steal your heart, but research
them. :tiptoe:

Smart choice considering the needs of a Dobermann pup. I'll make a few comments after reading your posts. Temperament and character comes from genetics, you can raise a pup to be balanced and socialable but if the genetics aren't there to produce that behavior your not going to get it. Also Dobermanns today are NOT natural protectors that character has been bred down and out in many breeders dogs. If you have a dog with the correct protective insticts you still need to train for protection to prove the dog and to insure you have control or bigger problems will surface. Genetics should never be discounted in any breed, you want to see the sire & dam and know that their sociable & balanced. Maybe down the road a Dobermann is in your future, best to you and your new family. VON.

If you go to DPCA breeder referral section you can pull up breeders by state - that is a good place to start.

Back