No longer interested in Breakfast 8-1/2 Mo. F Pup

swm_good

Hello All,

Yet again I am seeking some advice on what seems to be going on :thumbsup2:

8-1/2 Month Old Female Pup refusing to eat breakfast for almost 3 weeks now.

She will eat dinner fine, I feed 1-1/2-2 Cups for Breakfast and Dinner totaling about 4 cups per day. I feed at 8 AM and 5 PM, Prefer to feed after exercise. I leave it down for 30 mins then remove. She will wait until dinner time to eat (2 Cups) and it's been almost consistent over the last couple of weeks.

After trying literally every food on the planet and fighting bouts of Diarrhea for weeks trying to find a decent kibble a few months ago, Currently feeding TOTW Roasted Venison w/ Ancient Grains. (She has been doing really good on this, very solid poops & Regular). She's been through 1 30lb bag already and halfway thru the second bag.

She has no interest in eating at Breakfast, she doesn't even go near the food bowl at all in the morning. Water intake is great. I am not over treating, the occasional small bully stick or cow ear here and there and maybe one or two small biscuits per day if she works for it.

Even if I top it with Yoghurt, egg, etc. She refuses to eat or will have one or two bites then walks away from the bowl.

Any idea what's going on? She eats dinner fine, even if it's straight kibble, she will eat it all.

I refuse to believe that with her level of exercise, she can operate on 2 cups of kibble per day but maybe I am wrong?

She is walked for about 1-2 hrs a day and we play in a large backyard everyday for probably another 1-2 hours split up in like 10-20 minute intervals throughout the day.

I haven't weighed her recently but she's probably around 60-65ish lbs.

I talked to the breeder and he said try another food, which I did, twice, but ending up returning them because same result - one or two bites and walks away from the bowl.

She is not spayed and she has not gone into heat yet - has some acne or folliculitis on top of muzzle that comes and goes which I'm assuming is hormonal (see pic)

Coat Video: Gyazo

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
  • Acne.jpg
    Acne.jpg
    305 KB · Views: 16

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
At this age they have gone from growing 90mph to a slow crawl, so keep in mind the energy for adding height, bone, more mass has pretty much come to a screeching halt. She will continue to grow, but mostly filling out rather than height, so takes much less energy. Also intact means some hormonal changes and any day now she will come into season. If she is not losing weight drastically I wouldn't worry too much. If she's holding her looks and weight pretty steady, just adjust the feed accordingly. Always for health, a slim dog is usually better off than an overweight one, especially in the formative years. She's really pretty - a standing photo would help some of us determine if she really needs more food. Keep us posted how she does the next few weeks - if she's holding her weight with less food.

swm_good

At this age they have gone from growing 90mph to a slow crawl, so keep in mind the energy for adding height, bone, more mass has pretty much come to a screeching halt. She will continue to grow, but mostly filling out rather than height, so takes much less energy. Also intact means some hormonal changes and any day now she will come into season. If she is not losing weight drastically I wouldn't worry too much. If she's holding her looks and weight pretty steady, just adjust the feed accordingly. Always for health, a slim dog is usually better off than an overweight one, especially in the formative years. She's really pretty - a standing photo would help some of us determine if she really needs more food. Keep us posted how she does the next few weeks - if she's holding her weight with less food.
Thank you for the quick response Raven!

She's not losing weight, it's not noticeable at least, I'd say she gains 1-2 lbs every week or so.

I think she looks fine, aesthetically speaking, doesn't look too skinny in my opinion. If you click the Gyazo link in my original post, I have a small GIF of her walking and you can see her body but I'll go ahead and post a body pic here and you can be the judge.

I'm just worried because I've never had a picky dog like this haha, all my previous doggos although not Dobermans, anytime I put anything down they go to town.

I guess I will have to just keep going in this direction, and if she starts losing weight, then the worrying can start haha.

I had to screenshot these from a video, hope the res is not to bad - don't mind the foamy mouth, we were in the middle of a play session :)

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 26
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    353.9 KB · Views: 26

Two Dobes

Hot Topics Subscriber
I don't think she looks skinny either...she looks fine for 8/9 months. Perhaps she is eating only what she needs? I didn't feed 4 cups at that age, as I don't feed what the bag recommends....Glory was eating 1 1/2 morning and 1 1/2 evening (and still is) at 8 months. I mix other freeze dried and fresh with each meal...but I have to watch her from getting thick now that she is spayed. I would think as long as she is looking and acting fine, perhaps dinner is her chosen time to eat ;)

swm_good

I don't think she looks skinny either...she looks fine for 8/9 months. Perhaps she is eating only what she needs? I didn't feed 4 cups at that age, as I don't feed what the bag recommends....Glory was eating 1 1/2 morning and 1 1/2 evening (and still is) at 8 months. I mix other freeze dried and fresh with each meal...but I have to watch her from getting thick now that she is spayed. I would think as long as she is looking and acting fine, perhaps dinner is her chosen time to eat ;)
Ok awesome :woot2:

I think you are right - she might just be eating what she needs. I'm the same way, Sometimes I mix in freeze dried or left overs etc, not crazy amounts - just for taste mostly.

I'll keep monitoring her weight and report back - the last thing I want to do is just leave food out all day for her to eat whenever.

Do the females tend to put on more weight after they are spayed? Is there a reason for this?

I am planning to spay when she is probably around the 15 month mark.

Two Dobes

Hot Topics Subscriber
Females tend to put weight on after a spay....I am guessing due to hormonal changes....perhaps someone here will give a clearer answer ;)
Glory will be 3 this summer, and she is 63 pounds. A petite thing :love: but I just keep an eye on her waistline, and when it starts to get thicker; I make sure I cut her food back a bit.

swm_good

Females tend to put weight on after a spay....I am guessing due to hormonal changes....perhaps someone here will give a clearer answer ;)
Glory will be 3 this summer, and she is 63 pounds. A petite thing :love: but I just keep an eye on her waistline, and when it starts to get thicker; I make sure I cut her food back a bit.
Interesting information, hopefully someone does! I am curious and Glory sounds like a gem 😍

//////

Still no heat as of today - just shy of 9 months old - she has been the same, just super clingy but I think she's always been like that with me to a certain degree.

She refused to eat dinner last night after a long walk and playing ball in the backyard for 20-30 mins, she was tired and decided a nap was more important than food.

She refused breakfast again this morning and she ended up throwing up bile about 30 min ago (due to not eating).

I left the bowl down for 30 minutes both times and she just sniffs it and walks away.

I honestly think she is challenging me...

I'll try to feed again this evening - maybe add some chicken broth or wet food to the kibble and see if that sparks her interest.

It's funny - I definitely hear her stomach growling at times :astonished:

Ravenbird

$ Forum Donor $
She refused to eat dinner last night after a long walk and playing ball in the backyard for 20-30 mins, she was tired and decided a nap was more important than food.

She refused breakfast again this morning and she ended up throwing up bile about 30 min ago (due to not eating).

I left the bowl down for 30 minutes both times and she just sniffs it and walks away.
That just doesn't sound normal.

swm_good

That just doesn't sound normal.
I'm scratching my head - :facepalm:

She ate all of her dinner last night - 2 cups along with a little bit of salmon.

She slept great (10:30 PM all the way to 8 AM) in her crate without a peep.

She woke up this morning and ran around the property for a bit, played ball and with her toys, drank water.

I put a cup of food, dry in her bowl this morning but she has not touched it.

Do I call my vet and take an appt for her to go in and get a blood panel done?

Should I just maybe start leaving a cup of food in her bowl at all times, and replenish with 1 more cup if she eats it and not exceed 3 cups per day?

*E / just want to add - she is regularly going #1 which tells me she is hydrated and her #2's look good.

lady Dobie

Instead of giving her regular food in the morning.. i would try some sardines or eggs or boiled chicken.. some thing with a little protein and just enough to wet her appetite.. also is really good for her.. I give my pups a spoonful of oatmeal and blueberries first thing.. add an egg or sardines.. kibble is kind of dry and bla.. they eat it when they are hungry but it is good to get other types of nourishment into a growing pup..They also love some sweet potatoes boiled or broiled to make a snack.. getting the most vitamins in her in a natural way is the best.. and maybe you can just quit kibble in the am..

swm_good

Instead of giving her regular food in the morning.. i would try some sardines or eggs or boiled chicken.. some thing with a little protein and just enough to wet her appetite.. also is really good for her.. I give my pups a spoonful of oatmeal and blueberries first thing.. add an egg or sardines.. kibble is kind of dry and bla.. they eat it when they are hungry but it is good to get other types of nourishment into a growing pup..They also love some sweet potatoes boiled or broiled to make a snack.. getting the most vitamins in her in a natural way is the best.. and maybe you can just quit kibble in the am..
I think I will quit kibble in the morning and just feed it in the evening.

She never says no to people food :)

I will start doing oatmeal, and other types of foods like fruits and different kinds of proteins.

Do you give your egg raw or boiled/fried?

lady Dobie

i have made them eggs in every way.. just do what is convenient for you.. and oatmeal just the old fashioned type.. no suger or chemicals added. you can even toss the raw egg into the oatmeal..add some blue berries.. if you boil some eggs also you can cut up sliced sweet potato and do them together or chicken pieces.. with the eggs.. ..sometimes i just make a pot full of goodies and simmer everything up together.. even the beef liver.. they do not have a preference of how we mix their food.. i also give a slice of carrot and apple even a slice of orange.. nothing much but lots of fiber and vitamin c. they love their little tidbits.. if you think your pup could use some weight.. just add a couple of spoonfuls of the kibble too.. either add a little water or broth just to always keep them hydrated.. and don't forget the sardines... alot cheaper and awesome then any can dog food.....best to you and your beautiful puppy..

Kaiser2016

She ate all of her dinner last night - 2 cups along with a little bit of salmon.
This

I put a cup of food, dry in her bowl this morning but she has not touched it.
Plus this

She never says no to people food :)
And now this, makes me think she has become fussy about her meals. I have seen it many times now where the addition of some topper leads to the dog not wanting to eat their kibble when it's plain. For the next couple of days, keep a food journal and take note of when she declines the meal. It may not 'just' be breakfast that she is declining, but the lack of topper during that meal.

lady Dobie

This

Plus this

And now this, makes me think she has become fussy about her meals. I have seen it many times now where the addition of some topper leads to the dog not wanting to eat their kibble when it's plain. For the next couple of days, keep a food journal and take note of when she declines the meal. It may not 'just' be breakfast that she is declining, but the lack of topper during that meal.
switch it around.. give her the toppings in the morning and plain at night.. lol or like me just save some toppings for both meals..

swm_good

i have made them eggs in every way.. just do what is convenient for you.. and oatmeal just the old fashioned type.. no suger or chemicals added. you can even toss the raw egg into the oatmeal..add some blue berries.. if you boil some eggs also you can cut up sliced sweet potato and do them together or chicken pieces.. with the eggs.. ..sometimes i just make a pot full of goodies and simmer everything up together.. even the beef liver.. they do not have a preference of how we mix their food.. i also give a slice of carrot and apple even a slice of orange.. nothing much but lots of fiber and vitamin c. they love their little tidbits.. if you think your pup could use some weight.. just add a couple of spoonfuls of the kibble too.. either add a little water or broth just to always keep them hydrated.. and don't forget the sardines... alot cheaper and awesome then any can dog food.....best to you and your beautiful puppy..
switch it around.. give her the toppings in the morning and plain at night.. lol or like me just save some toppings for both meals..
Thank you very much! I will definitely be doing all of the above. Going to definitely give the sardines a try - see how she likes them. I am now wondering if I could just make a pot full of goodies a couple of days per week and just top her kibble with it. She loves fruit; apples, oranges, blueberries, etc. I give her on a daily basis just not with her meal. If I'm having some, I always give her a little bit.

I tried a couple of different canned dog foods as a topper, she got tired of it after a few days. I was mixing a couple spoonfuls and adding a little bit of water.

This

Plus this

That's probably what it is. It's very hard to not give them any table scraps, especially when they sit and give you that look... :(

She has been eating good the last two days. I will keep a journal the next couple of weeks with weight and when she is/is not eating and report back. Going to try oatmeal, sardines, and other different toppers as well and figure out what she likes!

Thanks for all the help!

lady Dobie

Thank you very much! I will definitely be doing all of the above. Going to definitely give the sardines a try - see how she likes them. I am now wondering if I could just make a pot full of goodies a couple of days per week and just top her kibble with it. She loves fruit; apples, oranges, blueberries, etc. I give her on a daily basis just not with her meal. If I'm having some, I always give her a little bit.

I tried a couple of different canned dog foods as a topper, she got tired of it after a few days. I was mixing a couple spoonfuls and adding a little bit of water.

That's probably what it is. It's very hard to not give them any table scraps, especially when they sit and give you that look... :(

She has been eating good the last two days. I will keep a journal the next couple of weeks with weight and when she is/is not eating and report back. Going to try oatmeal, sardines, and other different toppers as well and figure out what she likes!

Thanks for all the help!
I am by far no expert on nutrition for pups.. but i have found that they do very well on these toppings.. i really think she just got the taste for some little extra goodies.. best to you and pup.. i am sure she will be loving your new additions....

swm_good

Hello all,

I hope everyone is doing well.

A little bit of an update

The last two months have been on and off with eating, sometimes she eats sometimes she doesn't. Weight has relatively stayed the same ~65ish-70 lbs., current age is 11 months.

Still feeding TOTW Ancient Grains Roasted Bison & Venison, 2-3 cups per day

It seems she just gets bored with the food after about a week of eating it... I tried sardines, boiled chicken, fish, fried egg etc as a topper and I always switch every day to something different but it seems like after having it for about a week, she just stops eating it. She goes to the bowl, sniffs it and turns her nose up and walks away.

Nothing behavioral has changed, she is in play mode 24/7, very active and is drinking lots and lots of water.

She had her heat about a month ago - light bleeding, seemed like a normal heat that lasted about 20 days +/-

She has not eaten in about 2 days altogether, aside from a bite here and there when the bowl gets put down before she walks away. I am thinking about maybe taking her to the vet and getting some blood work done? I can tell from the size of her #2's that her food intake is much much less in the last couple of weeks. She used to have big #2's and now they're significantly smaller.

No other dog I've ever had has had this much of an unmotivated food drive... Am I wrong here or is this normal because their growth slows down a lot?

I've been doing the 15 min and take-away the food method for the last few meals but it seems like she just doesn't care :banghead:

Any help/insight is appreciated

Thank you :thumbsup2:

Attachments

• image0.jpg
    image0.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 14

LifeofRubie

My female Dobe is 6 years old and has never been a breakfast fan.

Rarely, she gobbles it down like she hasn't eaten in days. Other days, she finishes breakfast within an hour of dinner time. Most days, it takes her 2-4 sessions to eat it all. Our Lab (a chow hound) doesn't touch the food in her bowl so we don't have any challenges with leaving it out for her to graze on.

she ALWAYS eagerly eats dinner, though (that's when they get their raw patty supplement).

I spent a long time fretting and worrying and trying to figure out why but I really just think she isn't a breakfast gal. Her vet checks are always great, her energy and attitude are steady, her weight doesn't fluctuate so I stopped worry about it!

Edit to add: they do get bone broth on their breakfast and she might be waiting for it to soak and turn 'soggy' :scratch: no matter how disappointed she looks, she gets the exact same breakfast and exact same dinner, every day.