NEW YORK has taken Canine Law to a whole new level of absurdity- WTF????

TrinityDobes

Novitiate
I am the first one to want dog owners to be responsible and to make them train their dogs - but you want to talk about a can of worms that has just been opened! besides the fact I am totally against the government getting this much into my business - but on the other hand if the state can tell you your kids MUST go to school, this is not dis-similar with them telling you, that you MUST now take your dog to school.
**This new law does not address the penalty for non-compliance to this new law.
**How are they going to police it?
**Are they going to send a notice out to every dog licenesed in the state of New York advising the new obedience requirement?
**Do you have any idea of how many dogs are in the state of new york? there are approx 300,000 dogs in new york city alone
**how long do you think it will take to bring all dogs into compliance
there
**Are there any exemptions? what about rescue dogs? who may have leash agression but are just fine being a home body?
**What about hunting dogs - fox hounds or beagle packs - they don't do on leash work
**What about show dogs - most breed ring people don't do basic obedience until after their breed titles.
** at this point there is no additional fee to get the tag, only the cost of the obedience course
** NOTE: The commissional shall establish requirements or dog obedience schools which are authorized to provide the basic dog obedienced courses for dogs and their owners as required by this section.
*** WTF what about dogs who already have completed basic obedience courses, or did not go to obedience school, but have obedience titles - will you have to take your AKC UDX dog to an authorized state school to obtain a basic obedience course competion certificate?
DAMN the more I think about this, what horses ass thought this was a good piece of canine legislation???
S T A T E O F N E W Y O R K ________________________________________________________________________ 61 2011-2012 Regular Sessions I N S E N A T E (PREFILED) January 5, 2011 ___________ Introduced by Sen. DIAZ -- read twice and ordered printed, and when printed to be committed to the Committee on Agriculture AN ACT to amend the agriculture and markets law, in relation to requiring all dogs and their owners to successfully complete basic obedience training THE PEOPLE OF THE STATE OF NEW YORK, REPRESENTED IN SENATE AND ASSEM- BLY, DO ENACT AS FOLLOWS: 1 Section 1. Subdivision 1 of section 107 of the agriculture and markets 2 law, as amended by section 1 of part T of chapter 59 of the laws of 3 2010, is amended to read as follows: 4 1. This article shall apply to all areas of the state except any city 5 having a population of over two million, EXCEPT THAT THE PROVISIONS OF 6 SECTION ONE HUNDRED THIRTEEN-A OF THIS ARTICLE SHALL BE APPLICABLE TO 7 THE ENTIRE STATE. 8 S 2. Paragraph (d) of subdivision 1 of section 109 of the agriculture 9 and markets law, as amended by section 4 of part T of chapter 59 of the 10 laws of 2010, is amended to read as follows: 11 (d) The application shall be accompanied by the license fee prescribed 12 by section one hundred ten of this article [
and
], a certificate of 13 rabies vaccination or statement in lieu thereof, as required by subdivi- 14 sion two of this section, AND, FOR OWNERS AND DOGS SUBJECT TO THE 15 PROVISIONS OF SECTION ONE HUNDRED THIRTEEN-A OF THIS ARTICLE, A CERTIF- 16 ICATE OF SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A BASIC OBEDIENCE COURSE. In the case 17 of a spayed or neutered dog, every application shall also be accompanied 18 by a certificate signed by a licensed veterinarian or an affidavit 19 signed by the owner, showing that the dog has been spayed or neutered, 20 provided such certificate or affidavit shall not be required if the same 21 is already on file with the clerk or authorized dog control officer. In 22 lieu of the spay or neuter certificate an owner may present a statement 23 certified by a licensed veterinarian stating that he has examined the EXPLANATION--Matter in ITALICS (underscored) is new; matter in brackets [ ] is old law to be omitted. LBD01884-01-1 S. 61 2 1 dog and found that because of old age or other reason, the life of the 2 dog would be endangered by spaying or neutering. In such case, the 3 license fee for the dog shall be the same as for a spayed or neutered 4 dog as set forth in subdivision one of section one hundred ten of this 5 article. 6 S 3. The agriculture and markets law is amended by adding a new 7 section 113-a to read as follows: 8 S 113-A. OBEDIENCE TRAINING; REQUIRED. 1. THE COMMISSIONER SHALL BY 9 RULE OR REGULATION ESTABLISH REQUIREMENTS FOR BASIC OBEDIENCE COURSES 10 FOR DOGS AND THEIR OWNERS WHICH MUST BE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED PURSUANT 11 TO THIS SECTION. SUCH REQUIREMENTS SHALL INCLUDE INSTRUCTION FOR THE 12 OWNER ON THE PRINCIPLES OF DOG TRAINING, AND INSTRUCTION ON AND PRACTICE 13 OF OBEDIENCE TRAINING BY BOTH THE DOG AND ITS OWNER. FURTHERMORE, THE 14 COMMISSIONER SHALL ESTABLISH MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS FOR THE SUCCESSFUL 15 COMPLETION OF SUCH BASIC OBEDIENCE COURSES. 16 2. THE COMMISSIONER SHALL ESTABLISH REQUIREMENTS FOR DOG OBEDIENCE 17 SCHOOLS WHICH ARE AUTHORIZED TO PROVIDE THE BASIC DOG OBEDIENCE COURSES 18 FOR DOGS AND THEIR OWNERS AS REQUIRED BY THIS SECTION. 19 3. THE OWNER OF ANY DOG REACHING THE AGE OF ONE YEAR SHALL, ON OR 20 BEFORE THE DATE SUCH DOG REACHES ONE YEAR OF AGE OR WITHIN ONE HUNDRED 21 EIGHTY DAYS OF RECEIVING OWNERSHIP OF SUCH DOG, WHICHEVER SHALL BE 22 LATER, SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE, WITH HIS OR HER DOG, A BASIC OBEDIENCE 23 COURSE. 24 4. UPON SUCCESSFUL COMPLETION OF A BASIC OBEDIENCE COURSE FOR DOGS AND 25 THEIR OWNERS, THE DOG OBEDIENCE SCHOOL SHALL ISSUE A CERTIFICATE TO THE 26 OWNER THAT HE OR SHE AND HIS OR HER DOG HAVE COMPLETED SUCH COURSE. UPON 27 PRESENTATION OF SUCH A CERTIFICATE TO A LICENSING CLERK BY THE OWNER OF 28 A DOG, SUCH CLERK SHALL ISSUE, FREE OF CHARGE, TO THE DOG OWNER A YELLOW 29 METAL TAG WHICH SHALL BE AFFIXED TO A COLLAR ON THE DOG AT ALL TIMES. 30 SUCH YELLOW METAL TAGS SHALL BE ISSUED TO LICENSING CLERKS BY THE 31 DEPARTMENT. 32 S 4. Paragraph (g) of subdivision 1 of section 118 of the agriculture 33 and markets law, as added by section 14 of part T of chapter 59 of the 34 laws of 2010, is amended and a new paragraph (h) is added to read as 35 follows: 36 (g) any owner of a dog to fail to notify the municipality in which his 37 or her dog is licensed of any change of ownership or address as required 38 by section one hundred twelve of this article[
]; 39 (H) ANY OWNER TO FAIL TO COMPLETE A BASIC OBEDIENCE COURSE WITH HIS OR 40 HER DOG PURSUANT TO SECTION ONE HUNDRED THIRTEEN-A OF THIS ARTICLE. 41 S 5. This act shall take effect immediately, provided that sections 42 two and four of this act and subdivision 3 of section 113-a of the agri- 43 culture and markets law, as added by section three of this act, shall 44 take effect one year after this act shall have become a law; provided, 45 further that if part T of chapter 59 of the laws of 2010 is not yet in 46 effect, then sections one, two and four of this act shall take effect on 47 the same date and in the same manner as such chapter, as amended, takes 48 effect.

What was that blog you found on Fb about the uninteded consequences of laws? That certainly applies here doesn't it? 180 days is not a long time should you have a rescue with issues etc. This is absolutely ridiculous!! And like you mentioned Gail, those who show don't like to do obedience until after their championship has been attained to it doesn't hinder their natural movement etc. Or worse yet, should you stop moving and the dog does an automatic sit. :eek:
But simply put, I am beginning to suspect the same idiot is putting up these idiotic laws all across the freaking country!! Apparently the imbecile that is promoting the ban of docking/cropping, not to mention BSL, up here is spreading the :poop: in a different way down there. Where is one of these when you need one?? :machinegun::machinegun:Or two...

Wow that is a good question Gail what about all those other issues. What are they going to say now that all the dogs MUST have a CGC?? like you said alot of hunting does and ect ect never get things like that and what about some rescues. I am sure they had the best intention that dogs and their owners should be well trained however there are so many holes and questions.

It just boggles the mind - ALL of my dogs are well past any basic or puppy obedience course - years ago - did not take them to school, cause I am more than capable of teaching up to advanced obedience very ably - so if I lived in New York I would have to haul my 8 year old boy, and my two 7 year old girls out to get their basice obedience certifications??? WTF this is so messed up and Sandy you are so right about the Law of Unintended consequences applies very well here

:wow::mail::yatta::woot::thumbsup::ty::party::gun::congrats::p:D:dance:

Whew - Dog Owners in NY have dodged a bullet !

Both S61 and S62, Senator Ruben Diaz's proposals to require obedience
training and microchipping of all dogs in New York State, were defeated
today in the NYS Senate Agriculture committee.

Don't get complacent - stay vigilant, cause these stupid pieces of legislation breed like rabbits and crop up when you least expect them!

:wow::mail::yatta::woot::thumbsup::ty::party::gun::congrats::p:D:dance:

Whew - Dog Owners in NY have dodged a bullet !

today in the NYS Senate Agriculture committee.

Don't get complacent - stay vigilant, cause these stupid pieces of legislation breed like rabbits and crop up when you least expect them!

Well Damn...that is good news but it can come back with a vengeance!! I totally agree with not being complacent.

UPDATE !!! Both these bills were defeated. I have to applaud common sense winning out - but damn - the amount of time our legislators spend on assinine legislations makes you wonder what they could accomplish if they just did a little reasearch before proposing this stupid :poop:

Sue Cone <mailto:suecone%40mindspring.com> wrote:

From another list:

today in the NYS Senate Agriculture committee

We are defeating it and common sense is the victor is some areas, but other states/territories are going insane with stupidity!! Texas is one of them!! wayne Pacelle is hot to trot in Texas right now!!

Glad someone in New York recognized stupid when they see it!! :p

It's interesting that New York State specifically has a law against breed specific legislation.

Legislating that people train their dogs, though...that's an interesting can of worms. If they can't (or at least haven't) legislated any kind of across-the-board Service Dog documentation, I don't think they'll be doing it with pet dogs anytime soon. Do I think people should train their dogs? Yes. Will it reduce a lot of problems that happen with dogs? It would probably cause a drastic reduction in bite statistics. Is The Man the one to mandate and regulate such a thing? Probably not. As stated above, there's any number of reasons various dogs wouldn't normally do various things (really, though, I do think all dogs should be trained on-leash behaviors, hunting or no. Maybe I'm naive.)

(Although, this kind of legislation might make it easier for me to find a friggin' trainer. Or become one myself ;) )

This takes me down memory lane. After a night at the range in the 1970s, one of my team members said 'They' wanted to ban semi automatic weapons. The rest of us were stunned at the stupidity of the idea and poo-poo'd it. Now look where we are. Kids get suspended from school for just drawing a picture of a knife.

Always be vigilant! Especially you young ones!

Ginger, I also agree that people should have to train their dogs - requirements would have to be tailored to certain breeds - what a Yorkie or any of the toy breeds needs to know for good manners and behavior is not what the dogs in the working group need.

:rp:I might vote for it after they legislate training the ......... children. We have lousy schools all over and no one is responsible for themselves any more but they are going to tell us how to raise our dogs. I just DON'T get it.

very good point I was just saying to Doberluv that I was tired of people not raising their kids or their dogs to be respectful *LOL* and well behaved. Lord help the yuppy parent with the screaming, food throwing child - not infant but child 5 and older screaming yelling and throwing food - you can count on me not paying for my dinner that nite!!! unless you count the 2 cents I give the young parents on the way out :rofl:

Quite honestly, I was 20 when my daughter was born and a single mom. My daughter never did any of those things because she was taught manners from the moment she was old enough to sit at the table (even in her high chair). She can use a knife and fork properly and knows proper table etiquette. There is no excuse for children of any age to act like that. That behaviour is 110% the fault of the parents. I have never taken food and toys to the grocery store to keep them entertained!! WTH!! Stop entertaining your children and teach them that sometimes they have to do stuff they don't like...it's called life. Suck it up!!!
These other parents are simply not doing their jobs!! (not including those that have children with learning disabilities etc)
I am tired of people not taking responsibility for what is rightfully theirs!!!

Sorry if this came across too strong but enough is enough!

Back