Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

New puppy

Discussion in 'Doberman Puppies' started by Robbie, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Robbie

Robbie Novitiate

Hi all
    Some advice please for a novice Doberman owner to be
    We have the option of buying a 15 week old puppy due to change of its owner circumstances my concern is we have a weeks holiday abroad already booked for mid April
    This would obviously mean home boarding with a reputable sitter .my concern is would this have a negative impact after a already difficult start
    Any thoughts welcome

2. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

15weeks?

If you find a reputable sitter, then I see no issue with this. It may prolong your bonding time but does not mean the bonding will not happen.

But yes, your concern is warranted. These monsters require a lot of 1on1 time with their masters and if they don’t bond and/or get this special quality time (after you get back), then you will deal with an unruly beast that will revolt against you.

Part of the quality time and the bonding is establishing their need for you....their need for you to establish that you are the master and make all the guidelines and rules....they need this and without this, they become an undisciplined beast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JanS

JanS DCF Owner Administrative Staff Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

I think you will get some important bonding time if you bring the pup home now and your trip isn't until April. They are at an impressionable age right now so you'll still have time to get the pup set into your routine and look up to you before you go. If the pet sitter is coming to your home and you tell them the routine he/she has, it should be fine with it for a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. LifeofRubie

LifeofRubie Active Member

It sure will be hard to leave the pup but should be ok. We brought Rubie home in March and went on a weeks vacation in May. My ONLY regret were her ears. The place had zero knowledge of caring for cropped ears. I should've left them down while we were gone because her posts were not in great condition when we picked her up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

We did the same. Went on a week vacation after getting Shadow and having her at home for about a month. I left the ears down did not want to risk them getting wet, cut off circulation etc. Also I had a dog sitter all day. I think we negotiated 3 three hour breaks and the rest she had to remain at the house. We also instructed her follow our instructions in training. She offered to do basic training and I declined- I wanted to train my way and didn’t need any confusion. We got texts and pics every day. And everyone survived. It was definitely harder on me than the dogs.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Robbie

Robbie Novitiate

Hi everyone
    Thanks so much for taking the time to reply it’s really appreciated
    We only want to do the right thing
    I took early retirement so will be home nearly all the day and most of the places I go to the pup would come with me
    Thanks again

• Like Like x 6
  7. Brevig

Brevig Hot Topics Subscriber

I wouldn't worry about your trip. I have a similar setup to you. I work from home and take my dog basically everywhere. As a pup I did leave her a few times for up to a week. It does put a slight set back, but honestly only a couple days of catch up were needed (she was without training while I was gone). She is highly attached to me, and I think with you being home a lot with her will more than makeup for the time lost in April.

You'll have over a month to establish a bond and I promise you when you come back you will get the best welcome home ever.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Just make sure the pet sitter understands this breed is notorious for ingesting things they shouldn’t that could cause an intestinal blockage requiring sx.

Impress the importance of not allowing the pup to chew any toy without direct supervision. Many pet sitters are not aware of just how crazy these pups can get with chewing and swallowing things they shouldn’t.

Also contact your vet and sign a release form allowing them to treat in the event something happens and they need to treat your puppy. Give them all your contact information and that of the pet sitter.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

The puppy will be fine. It’s the sitter that I’m worried about :spit:

I’d work on crate training right away so that the sitter can keep her sanity. She will need ear plugs too :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Robbie

Robbie Novitiate

Thanks again everyone really appreciate that you have taken the time to reply

• Like Like x 1
  11. My2Girls

My2Girls Notable member

Agree with @Tropicalbri's your sitter should have a contact form or create one for him/her with how to reach you, vet information and emergency vet information.

12. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Any time we go on vacation or gone for a few days and we have a dog sitter.
    We print out a form with our names and pet names and the names of who is taking care of our pets. The form says that we give them permission to have them treated by any vet. Also a print out of what supplements and doseages are given and or Meds names, dosages. Then we sign and date the bottom. Also our contact # and their Pet Insurance forms are attached.

• Appreciation Appreciation x 3
  13. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

I still do a daily log on my two. I must have 15 binders filled. Lol

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow x 1
  14. Kaiser2016

Kaiser2016 Active Member

Good idea. I always provided a checklist with feeding times and amounts plus preferences for each animal. My pet sitters have their work cut out for them!

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. strykerdobe

strykerdobe Hot Topics Subscriber

Yes with 2 pages of instructions!!!!:rofl::rofl:

• Funny Funny x 2
  16. MyBuddy

MyBuddy Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

That's all? LOL. You should see my list of instructions years ago when I left my sister-in-law in charge of my horses.:whistle: And she's a horse person! :woot2:

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. Robbie

Robbie Novitiate

Thanks again everyone for the information re vets and diet sheet we will certainly do that