New Puppy Stitch Removal and Ear Question

Halfpass4

Novitiate
Hello everyone! I finally brought my Dobie girl home last week. When we picked her up from the breeder, she said I could remove the ear crop stitches myself at home with a nail clipper. I’ve looked and I only see stitches from the middle of each ear to the tips. Shouldn’t there be stitches at the base of the ear, too? Could it be I’m just not seeing them because it’s now 6 days post-crop? Maybe I should just bring her to a vet to have the stitches removed? I’m so worried I’m going to make a mistake...

Also, her ears are healing but are very crusty. I’ve read not to pull the scabs, so I won’t, but is there any way to get rid of the crusting (or just wait it out)?

I’m new here but will try to figure out how to post a photo. Thanks in advance!

Sorry about the quality of the photos. They were the best I could do. Thanks for any suggestions anyone has!

A72CC79F-B5B3-44BE-9A75-4056B088FF74.jpeg

3497571D-42EC-4EDD-8BB4-2FF842B950FF.jpeg

F1CAE9DC-E46E-45B2-8D95-1AD64496F7D5.jpeg

53461194-F165-4B2F-B055-6CE201EB11FD.jpeg

Welcome!

It's possible that the stitches that you are not seeing are being hidden by a bit of swelling and by the scabs.

How long after you bring her home did the breeder say you could remove the stitches? I thought stitches stayed in for 2 weeks. Someone correct me. But I'd say as long as you can access a good snip with the nail clippers without snipping flesh, it is straightforward.

That is a pretty good buildup of scabbing there. I agree, though, you don't want to remove it at this point. Later on, gentle stretching of the ears is useful for preventing bunching.

This can be a stressful time with a lot of wonders and questions. I'd say you're doing fine. Keep asking questions as you have them.

Thanks so much for your reply!

The crop was done on 11/27 and the breeder said to snip the stitches after 10 days (so I’m looking at doing it 12/8). But the flesh is starting to grow in around the stitches, so I’m getting a little nervous. If that’s how it’s supposed to be I can wait.

I have lots of questions, and I appreciate having the support here! Thanks again!

Absolutely! You've got the best network of support right here.

This place gets sleepy at night, (except for me, and a member who's in Australia :) ), so I'm sure you'll get more replies tomorrow.

Okay, good to know about the dates.

Well, if the stitches look like they're getting engulfed by flesh, they might require a nice precise pair of scissors when the time comes; but I wonder if reduced swelling will make them seem less engulfed.

Welcome and congrats on your new girl!

It looks to me like there are stitches along the whole incision line so I'm wondering if the ones at the top and bottom are dissolvable. I'd personally bring her in when the time comes if you're not sure.

Back