• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

New Dobie lover here

Lii

One thing I would never be without having this breed is Pet Insurance. Lots to choose from.
Always read the Exclusions in the Policy.

Also, best to find someone who knows Pedigrees and to look back in Sire and Dams.

Current Health testing of both Sire and Dam.

Such as complete Blood Panel and Chemistries

Heart issues (DCM) can affect around 60% of the breed so.
Hopefully they would have started testing (Heart) at around 2yrs old. As all Dobes should be tested yearly starting at 2yrs old.

Both DNA tested for DCM1 & DCM2. Good to find out but not a guarantee your Dobe will get DCM or not.

Current within 6mo of breeding a Heart Echo and 24hr Holter. OFA Certified.

OFA Certified is from the

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Also, both tested for
Thyroid Hypothyroidism OFA certified

Von Williebrand Disease (vWD) more about it here. OFA Certified

Hips and Elbows X-rayed and OFA certified This is usually done at around 2yrs old.

Some further DNA Testing would be from Embark Vet

Or

Or

Lots of info here about diseases.
Thank you so much for your articles and information! I will be looking into everything. Pet insurance is a great idea. Do you think they cover yearly echo and holter?

LifeofRubie

Thank you so much for your articles and information! I will be looking into everything. Pet insurance is a great idea. Do you think they cover yearly echo and holter?

I think it depends on the insurance and, generally, they won't tell you if it's covered or not, specifically.

Ours has covered echo and holter tests as wellness checks; our insurance covers both wellness (routine) and emergency/injury type procedure

Our insurance does not specifically list echos or holter tests on their covered/not covered lists.

Lii

I think it depends on the insurance and, generally, they won't tell you if it's covered or not, specifically.

Ours has covered echo and holter tests as wellness checks; our insurance covers both wellness (routine) and emergency/injury type procedure

Our insurance does not specifically list echos or holter tests on their covered/not covered lists.
Can I ask what insurance you use? I’ll definitely be checking a bunch and I think it also depends on the area too

Panama

Hot Topics Subscriber
Thank you so much for your info. I was lightly researching and most of the breeders had most of those you mentioned. I’m curious about the limited registration, can you explain more please? I’m also curious about the docking and cropping. I’m planning on it but I read about how cropping helps with ear infections? And that most breeders crop/dock because if the dog comes back to them it’s easier to sell?
Limited Registration means you can register the dog, but by chance it produces a litter, the offspring are not eligible for registration (at all). A spay/neuter agreement/contract usually comes with limited registration.
It also means the dog cannot show in AKC Conformation

Docking should be done around 3 days old. Cropping is usually done between 7-9 wks (so they can be in their new home by 9-11 wk).

Yes, it is much easier to rehome a cropped Doberman apposed to one with natural ears.

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber

Depending on Ins. companies. Some have Wellness addons.
I like companies that also cover Holistic care such as acupuncture cold laser therapy, aqua therapy and supplements your vet ok's. As when our 2 boys were diagnosed with DCM. I supplemented with a lot of supplements.

Check Trupanion and Go Pet Plan best to call them and ask.

DCM meds could cost anywhere from $100-$250 or more a month!
Prescription Vetmedin is the most expensive then Mexiletine.

Last edited:

Lii

Depending on Ins. companies. Some have Wellness addons.
I like companies that also cover Holistic care such as acupuncture cold laser therapy, aqua therapy and supplements your vet ok's. As when our 2 boys were diagnosed with DCM. I supplemented with a lot of supplements.

Check Trupanion and Go Pet Plan best to call them and ask.

DCM meds could cost anywhere from $100-$250 or more a month!
Prescription Vetmedin is the most expensive then Mexiletine.
Thank you so much. You seem very knowledgeable on Dobermans, I’ve seen you on every thread I’ve read lol. I really appreciate you helping me. What supplements are your dobes on before and after the dcm? I know you feed raw and I printed out all the articles you’ve suggested in another thread about grain free and dcm. I haven’t read them yet but I will

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
Welcome!

I'm personally not an advocate of pet insurance but I think we'd be hard pressed to find a vet in our area where the coverage would be worth it.

Lii

Welcome!

I'm personally not an advocate of pet insurance but I think we'd be hard pressed to find a vet in our area where the coverage would be worth it.
I’m not really sure how pet insurance works but I’ll figure it out when I research.

JanS

DCF Owner
Administrative Staff
Hot Topics Subscriber
I’m not really sure how pet insurance works but I’ll figure it out when I research.
I think a lot of it depends on where you live. We are in a pretty rural area so coverage isn't as good.

strykerdobe

Hot Topics Subscriber
Thank you so much. You seem very knowledgeable on Dobermans, I’ve seen you on every thread I’ve read lol. I really appreciate you helping me. What supplements are your dobes on before and after the dcm? I know you feed raw and I printed out all the articles you’ve suggested in another thread about grain free and dcm. I haven’t read them yet but I will

Thank you for the compliment. No but I don't know everything.
Right now both of ours are on Taurine 1,000mg 1x a day, CoQ10 100mg 1x a day, Cordyceps Mushrooms, a mixture of Mushrooms called 5 Defenders Immune Strength which has 5 different types of Mushrooms, Spirulina/Chlorella, Standard Process Cardio Plus and Quercetin.

Once if they are diagnosed then the dosages MG's will increase.
Not all supplements are created equal. Some don't have the MG's they say they do.

The Grain Free articles I think the jury is still out on that one. As with any study you need to look at who is doing it and who is supplying the $$$$.
You always follow the $$$$.

Lii

Thank you for the compliment. No but I don't know everything.
Right now both of ours are on Taurine 1,000mg 1x a day, CoQ10 100mg 1x a day, Cordyceps Mushrooms, a mixture of Mushrooms called 5 Defenders Immune Strength which has 5 different types of Mushrooms, Spirulina/Chlorella, Standard Process Cardio Plus and Quercetin.

Once if they are diagnosed then the dosages MG's will increase.
Not all supplements are created equal. Some don't have the MG's they say they do.

The Grain Free articles I think the jury is still out on that one. As with any study you need to look at who is doing it and who is supplying the $$$$.
You always follow the $$$$.
Thank you so much. I have a lot to research and think about.