1. Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest!
We are glad you found us, if you find anything useful here please consider registering to see more content and get involved with our great community members, it takes less than a minute!

New Dobermann owner...

Discussion in 'Doberman Health Issues and Questions' started by hellypep, Jul 30, 2019.

1. hellypep

hellypep New Member

Hello all!! After much research we decided on a Dobermann boy..... we picked him up on Saturday and we are totally in love. He is beautiful and loving and settling well.

Only problem we have is he appears to have a lot of diarrhoea. It’s not bloody at all, and he has intermittently had solid poops but he was a tiny bit sick this morning too.

I am taking him for his second jabs today so will get him checked at the vets but anything you guys can suggest?? I’m in the UK if that makes any difference.

Many thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

Did you keep him on the same food as the breeder? That would be my first question. If so it might just be stress from the move especially if you are sure he didn't get into anything unexpected.

I just re read your past and you said second jobs, do you mean second round of shots? I know after one set of shots for our guy he was lethargic and had runny poop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. hellypep

hellypep New Member

Hiya yes we made sure he is on the same food we are also spreading it out over the day.... we thought stress too but when it’s a new doggy you worry don’t you! The only thing is he could have picked something up from the garden but we’re always watching ‍♀️

4. Atingles10

Atingles10 Notable member

I completely understand, I'm sure our breeder and my vet tech friend were ready to block me about by 1 month of bringing our guy home. So many questions! We are at 13 months and still learning so much as well as and analyze every little sound he makes. They are our babies :love:

5. hellypep

hellypep New Member

I thought after having a dog before and then 2 children it would be easier but it’s not:facepalm::tearsofjoy:

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Tropicalbri's

Tropicalbri's $ Premium Subscriber $ Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Vaccines are to be given to completely healthy dogs only. I would not get the vaccines until his diarrhea is corrected because they may make the diarrhea worse. Speak with your vet first about the loose stools. He may need to be checked and treated for intestinal parasites parasites.
    It’s not unusual for puppies to have soft stools.

Welcome to DCF from FL.

• Agree Agree x 4
  7. hellypep

hellypep New Member

Good to know thank you. I will tell them first

8. Doberman Gang

Doberman Gang Hot Topics Subscriber

Could just be due to change in his life. Caused by stress. May need to settle into his new routine for a few days or even a week.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GennyB

GennyB Moderator Hot Topics Subscriber

@hellypep I agree with the above. I would add even if he is not sick and just adjusting to life changes, I would hold off on his shots until he is better adjusted. No reason to stress out his immune system more when it is just figuring out how to work.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Ddski5

Ddski5 Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Welcome from Louisiana.

I second the no shots until well. Already enough going on with his system....

11. Viemarangelrock

Viemarangelrock Hot Topics Subscriber $ Forum Donor $

Hi and a warm welcome to DCF from a fellow UK member :ntmy:

It’s not uncommon to deal with puppy diarrhoea in the first few days or so. A new environment, new smells, people....it can all add stress which leads to an upset tummy.
    Speak to your vet and press your concerns of his tummy upset. It’s not good to vaccinate an already compromised puppy. You are just adding more into the mix.

12. My Gal Gretel

My Gal Gretel Hot Topics Subscriber

Welcome from Georgia and congratulations on your new puppy! Hope his tummy is better soon!