• Disclaimer: Hello Guest, Doberman Chat Forums presents the opinions and material on these pages as a service to its membership and to the general public but does not endorse those materials, nor does it guarantee the accuracy of any opinions or information contained therein. The opinions expressed in the materials are strictly the opinion of the writer and do not represent the opinion of, nor are they endorsed by, Doberman Chat Forums. Health and medical articles are intended as an aid to those seeking health information and are not intended to replace the informed opinion of a qualified Veterinarian.”

neutering age

Does anyone know if a neutered dog's urine is less caustic/powerful/acidic or whatever?
I don’t know the answer to that but I did come across something that caught my attention: A rock that you put into a dog’s water bowl which claims to prevent urine from ‘burning’ grass. Looks like it’s just activated charcoal, but here’s the product I saw: Dog Rocks – Let your dog save your lawn!

Kaiser uses his potty patch with rocks and mulch for his morning urine, so grass burns aren’t an issue for us and we don’t have any trees in the backyard.

All of my dogs were females, and one rescued male that was neutered. We had Buddy neutered at 8mos. and he is quite the guard, must be held back. For that matter so was Zeus. And Buddy is two and. Or filled in yet, Zeus was large, well muscled and very confident. Buddy is working on confidence due to his age. He has it then he loses it, just his age. I guess I can't tell the difference, and one giant of a Doberman was at the vet and he was neutered. I do agree, they all have different personalities.:dobe:

Just read an interesting thing in the old book I've been reading on dogs: The author, who sounds like quite the learned old intellect – Frenchman I believe – posits that when a male dog is castrated, he ceases to lift his leg when urinating. I believe he also states that leg lifting can be reinstated in a castrated dog if it is injected with hormones.

It's confusing to me, as this man really is a scholar; yet I don't think leg lifting behavior is as simple as he claims.

By the way, I am seeing some dead leaves (that don't really look like the rest of the leaves that are turning and falling as autumn sets in) on our Burch tree that is taking incoming urine from Oji. Surely it couldn't be relate, or could it?

@Oh Little Oji I don't agree with that author either. I've seen hundreds (worked at a vet clinic in my youth) of male neutered dogs that happily lifted their leg on everything. I don't believe dog urine would injure your tree. Grass, yes. Trees generally have almost as much root system below ground as the tree size above ground and the dog pee could not penetrate that deeply. Grass is more sensitive, roots are thin and tiny and would more easily absorb the unbalanced nutrients compared to tree roots. Best way to counter-act grass kill is to water the area frequently to dilute the high nitrogen in the urine. Hope that sets your mind at ease.

:scratch: "In six to eight months they attain sexual maturity which shows itself in the females by the first manifestations of the oestrus, and in the males by the stance they acquire at this time when they "lift their legs" to urinate. Let us note that a castrated dog of any age immediately loses this characteristic stance, but that it is possible to make it reappear by injections of testosterone, though naturally this does not entail a reawakening of the sexual instinct."

The Life, History and Magic of the Dog by Fernand Mery, 1968

My Zeus was neutered and never saw a tree he didn't like:rofl: Buddy, he prefers almost a stand position. So here's a thought, Zeus was laid back but very alert and watchful not to mention always guarding. Buddy on the other hand is high strung and takes his job very seriously. Could this mean anything? :scratch:I don't know, just a thought.

Back